PDA

View Full Version : WRC style axle stands!!

stuartp
11-10-06, 09:06 PM
Has any one ever fitted this setup to a nova? the ones that require holes in the cill then a perpose made axle slides in and holds the car up!! i know it has to be strengthened with plates and insert tubes but just wondering if its been done!! :thumb:

Benn
11-10-06, 09:14 PM
air jacks would be easyer...and much more fun,

stuartp
11-10-06, 09:16 PM
yeah but its more to plumb in to the engine and it aint really WRC styley (Borin Touring cars) good idea tho!!

Benn
11-10-06, 10:51 PM
plumb in? only gonna be a airline to all four,what do the rally ones look like? dont think i've seen them...

starkmotorsport
12-10-06, 12:03 AM
We fit the A frame stands to the cills of our cars, they do need a fair amount of strengthening to the cill and they're not really practical for small garage use.

The only advantage they have is for in the service area, they're a little quicker and leave better access to the car.

ste porter
12-10-06, 12:44 AM
my mates gt 1400 car has 2 steel tubes that are welded underneath his car and run the width of it one at the front 1 at the back and all they do is slide in a tube that atached to some strange looking ratchet jacks 1 pull 2 the floor on an arm on these jack things and the wheels are of the floor by nearly a foot

it takes litteraly seconds to lift the whole car of the floor! it is an awsome set up but its what alot of people in his class use but its wouldent realy be much use i surpose for everyday use but it is a very clever and afective set up

Bouch
12-10-06, 07:28 AM
I've just done it on my GTE, if you want some photos of what i did, PM me and i'll send ya some pics. I would put them on the forum for everyone to see, but i don't know how to!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and as a little tip. Instead of making/buying the snazzy a frames. Buy a set of axle stands and cut then weld 9inch sections of 20mm solid bar in the side of the top support and use them as stands. Reason being that firstly, axle stands are adjustable and secondly, if you side swipe something and bend/fold the sill mount while ragging it round a track, you've still got a stand to hold the car up.

stuartp
12-10-06, 08:32 AM
Oh and as a little tip. Instead of making/buying the snazzy a frames. Buy a set of axle stands and cut then weld 9inch sections of 20mm solid bar in the side of the top support and use them as stands.

Thats what i was thinking of, some photo's would be great mate stupax@hotmail.co.uk cheers boys

Few more opinions wouldnt go a miss!!

stuartp
12-10-06, 12:09 PM
We fit the A frame stands to the cills of our cars, they do need a fair amount of strengthening to the cill and they're not really practical for small garage use.

The only advantage they have is for in the service area, they're a little quicker and leave better access to the car.

Do you have any photo's??

stuartp
13-10-06, 10:11 PM
Any pics any one??

stuartp
20-10-06, 04:22 PM
^^^^