PDA

View Full Version : Improving a TD

CarlosTD
09-10-06, 11:17 PM
Hi Guys/Gals

I've just bought a Nova TD Merit for my girlfriend to chug up and down the motorway for work. Now it's replaced her Toyota MR2, which is a bit of a come down for her (no offence intended there), so I'm looking at ways to tart the car up a bit. You may have noticed my post in the wanted section, but just wanted to clarify a few things before starting anything. This is how the car stands at the mo:
http://www.carlgibbs.com/gallery/d/1925-1/DSC01716.JPG

The interior is pretty basic, so I'd like to put in something a bit more sporty - something out of an SR/GTE/GSi. Will all of these interiors (seats, steering wheel & doorcards) bolt straight in? What about central locking? Is this particularly difficult to install?

As for the outside, we gonna be sorting out the paintwork and dodgy arches but I like the look of this front bumper:
http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/gallery/simon_field/main.jpg
Am I correct in thinking this is a mk1 SR/GTE bumper? If so will it bolt straight on to our Merit? Also the wheels on the car suit it really well IMHO - are they wheels trims or alloys? And are they 13" like ours or bigger?

Apologies for all the questions - have been sifting through a load of posts on here but cant find any definate answers. So any help/advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Carl

Projectjordan
09-10-06, 11:21 PM
yes interiors will fit in no probs, c/locking is a separte loom so just plugs into the fuse box (but getting the wires into the doors isnt always easy)
the bumper will fit straight on, and they are 13" wheel trims, genuine sr/gte alloys (14") are frequently available and a cheap upgrade.

CarlosTD
09-10-06, 11:36 PM
Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I think I actually prefer the look of the grey wheels trims to the standard alloys, but it's not my car so it's up to the boss :) At the moment 1 wheel trim is missing so if we can get a decent set of 13" ones that would be an improvement for the time being!

Welsh Dan
10-10-06, 12:51 AM
A T-cut and some colour coded mirrors wouldn't go amiss :thumb:.

I'd offer you a set of the 14" 3spokes cheap but you're a bit far away...

CarlosTD
10-10-06, 07:52 AM
We've got some red T cut ready to use, but didnt have time this weekend :(

Jack
10-10-06, 08:44 AM
Meguiars 3-stage is better than TCut :p

Cental locking is pretty easy to fit, if you don't already have wires to the doors you'll need to drill a couple of holes and stick some grommets in (when I did mine I used the rubber tubing that went from the body to the tailgate on a fiesta, tidied up the wires nicely). You'd be pretty lucky if you manage to find a decent condition standard central locking kit, aftermarket kits are easy to install though.

burgo
10-10-06, 01:05 PM
you could make it almost as quick as her mr2 ;) providing it wernt a turbo that is

CarlosTD
10-10-06, 05:37 PM
The point is that it's gotta be cheap to run, and cheap and easy to repair. The MR2 was a great car, but needed expensive oil changes every 4k miles, working on the engine was a PITA, it wouldnt do more than 40mpg and parts were generally expensive, not to mention keeping the bodywork tidy was a nightmare. So the Nova will be getting a bit of touching up cosmetically but all the oily bits will remain standard for now (unless some interesting parts come up cheap ;))

I've heard other say good things about Meguiars, so may have to try and find some as the paintwork on my cars is looking a bit shabby too!

Jack
10-10-06, 06:18 PM
Even on the turbos, a decent FS oil can last a full 9k service cycle :D

You might also consider the SR grille, IMO its a lot nicer than the std one:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/saloon2.jpg

CarlosTD
10-10-06, 07:41 PM
We had a mk1 though, so older engine and I've had 2 with bottom end problems, so better to be safe than sorry! :) TBH even with a turbo and FS I'd change at least every 6k.

That grill definately does look better, another thing to look out for!

burgo
11-10-06, 11:13 PM
my nova with the 1.7td did 70 miles to a fiver ;) they can be quick and economical

rednova
19-10-06, 06:07 PM
it wouldnt do more than 40mpg

ah if only my novas did that lol lol

CarlosTD
28-10-06, 02:57 PM
Well I went and picked up some seats today from a GTE. Have just been out to put them in and the mountings are complete different. I thought all interiors were interchangeable?

It looks like the mounts on the seat frames aren't swappable as part of them is welded on. Am I missing something obvious?

Ian
28-10-06, 03:00 PM
you will need the gte/sr runners to bolt the seats into the car

JSeymour
28-10-06, 04:10 PM
clear front indicators will neaten it up a little.

CarlosTD
28-10-06, 05:37 PM
Thanks Ian, after going back and looking again I figured out how to do it. The seats having completely different mechanisms threw me a bit!! Basically I was being a bit dense.

Anyways, all sorted now:
http://www.carlgibbs.com/gallery/d/1984-1/DSC00424.JPG
Looks much better than the old ones. Just gotta sort out the rear bench now. Then find a steering wheel, and maybe a centre console and the interior will be sorted.

Lozzie C
29-10-06, 10:20 AM
My Nova has got 3 wheel trims like that, I've been looking out for a fourth one for ages!
I'm getting some 3-spokes off someone on here when he's sorted his car out, if you were still in need of the trims I could help you out if you wanted?

Lauren

Oh and by the way, the interior looks much better!

CarlosTD
29-10-06, 01:03 PM
That would be great Lauren. Drop us a PM when you've got your new wheels, and if we still need them we can sort someting out!

Yep, interior is much better now, much nicer to drive too :)

dannyb
29-10-06, 01:08 PM
I guess you wont be falling out of the seats now! Its only a suggestion, but those 3 spoke-esque wheeltrims might look good sprayed in anthracite as opposed to silver...

CarlosTD
29-10-06, 06:09 PM
those 3 spoke-esque wheeltrims might look good sprayed in anthracite as opposed to silver...

That's a good idea actually, and I've even got some paint in the garage somewhere! Thanks!

Lozzie C
29-10-06, 07:17 PM
You can buy them that colour and white too. They seem to be much more common as whenever I tried looking for another of my colour it would always be in either of those colours!
Secretly, I like those wheel trims- glad to see someone else does too! :D

CarlosTD
11-11-06, 05:58 PM
Looking much better now I reckon:
http://www.carlgibbs.com/gallery/d/2098-1/DSC00431.JPG
So that's GTE interior, SR front bumper and SR wheel trims, all fitted for ~?35. Not too shabby!

Not quite finished yet, but moving house next week, so that'll do till the new year :)