PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y Respray

supernova1992
09-10-06, 09:03 PM
Hey, im planning on a fairly basic two-tone respray in my own garage!
Just a few quick questions....

1) Instead of a normal 2 tone job, im going for a subtle one: where-as instead of painting two halves of the car in a completely different colour, im merely changing the colour of the basecoat. The top half will be white and the bottom half black - and then ill spray the whole thing in a dark red metallic. In theory, the top half will look like a lighter red and the bottom half darker - and will look most noticeable when the light hits it. To split up the colours, a silver pinstripe along the swage line.

Is my theory right? or will it just look like someone with half a brain has sprayed it unevenly?

2) Will it be possible to do this all on a 50 litre compressor if i do the car a panel at a time?

Nobby
10-10-06, 01:36 PM
your theory might work mate but it depends on how thick you spray the paint on. To be honest thought diy paintjobs are not all what they are craked up to be you might aswell save up and have it done properly because you will always be faffing about with it and it the rust comes back through (being a nova) how will you match the paint again??

supernova1992
10-10-06, 05:09 PM
well my dad used to spray cars professionally and he'll be doing the actual spraying. as for all the rust, its been dealt with. spent a week grinding it all down and fixing it up. and with colour matching.. ill be screwed! ill just have to drive very carefully :)

Nobby
10-10-06, 05:33 PM
well my dad used to spray cars professionally and he'll be doing the actual spraying. as for all the rust, its been dealt with. spent a week grinding it all down and fixing it up. and with colour matching.. ill be screwed! ill just have to drive very carefully :)
lol fair play then mate good luck and get some pics up when its done:thumb:

supernova1992
10-10-06, 05:56 PM
will do ;)

Wilson
10-10-06, 06:37 PM
Talking of D.I.Y spraying has anyone ever sprayed a complete car with tinnies and came out good? ive seen a couple and their realy patchy

dave_rand
10-10-06, 07:28 PM
a full respray with tin cans id love to see that

ANDYRACER
10-10-06, 08:12 PM
I know a mate who had painted with cans on a nova, and a mate who has done it on a 205 and they both looked ****.

supernova1992
10-10-06, 08:21 PM
ill be doing it with all professional spraying gear and a 50 litre compressor.. ill just be doing it in my small garage lol.

but do you think the colour scheme idea is a good one or a bad one?

Benn
10-10-06, 08:54 PM
no, as less its a ink colour or very see thru it wont make a different,

yeah but its better to do it all in one go...

Nobby
10-10-06, 08:54 PM
Talking of D.I.Y spraying has anyone ever sprayed a complete car with tinnies and came out good? ive seen a couple and their realy patchy
ive primered my old nova with cans didnt look to bad just left it in white primer was just a dull matty colour:thumb:

DIY*VALVER84
11-10-06, 04:34 PM
you strange people... stop being cheap lol
spraying with tinnies should be made illegal because they always look shhitty.
as for primer i think its impossible for someone to spray primer unevenly so it always looks half decent and as for the colour scheme
yes it will work as black basecoat alters the prism light effect thus emmiting a much darker colour as for the top colour you want to use silver or white basecoat. just remember to colour sand and overkill it with clear coat.
when it comes to mixing the paint try and get hold of some digi scales and simply weigh the amounts that you put in,that way you will get a damn near colourmatch in future.
best of luck with the spraying mate.

Wilson
11-10-06, 05:09 PM
you strange people... stop being cheap lol
spraying with tinnies should be made illegal because they always look shhitty.

Thats why i asked if anyones done it and it actully looks good lol

draper
11-10-06, 05:12 PM
hmmm, personnaly id always go and get someone to do it for me but if your dads a sprayer should have no probs - keep us updated

supernova1992
11-10-06, 06:17 PM
right, well i need to finish smoothing the tailgate first (prepped the rest of the car with very fine wet and dry) and find a bodykit first! so it'll be a while before the spraying begins... but ill keep you posted ;)

ade
11-10-06, 07:54 PM
re the respray with tinnies - I did it years ago - used all the carmine red in Stafford!

It actually came out really well! The only problem was that after a years worth of driving the stone chips at the front destroyed the look - you do need to lacquer it once sprayed regardless oif what the tin says!

As for the garage respray I did this also but wouldnt do it again. Red is one of the hardest colours to spray as you can get so many different shades if you dont get the layers right. I'd go for the biggest possible compressor you can - every time your compressor has to kick in to recharge the air in the tank, you loose pressure at the gun and this will cause uneven finish. As well as this spraying a panel at a time wont give you an even finish - it'll look like youve sprayed each panel individually - especially if you are going for the 2 tone fade effect look.

Now Ive posted this without reading the whole thread so if youve since changed your mind oops!

However for anyone diy spraying a whole car I would recommend -

double garage
some kind of decent extractor
the correct respoirator equipment
decent paint
a decent large capacity compressor of HVLP compressor
patience
and spare cash incase it all goes t1ts up!

TBH for the amount of time it takes youre faster giving it to a pro to do in a decent paint booth - especially this time of year (moisture and heat all play a key part in the outcome of the finish).

Ade

rednova
15-10-06, 05:03 PM
a full respray with tin cans id love to see that

in the galleries mickey owens' green one was sprayed with tinnies wasnt too bad finish neither as he spent a decent amount of time polishing it up iirclol

DIY*VALVER84
16-10-06, 04:59 PM
pro finish with tinnies is unobtainable. lets face it,there called professional paint refinishers for a reason,spraying isnt the easiest thing to do,thats why they get paid to do it!
tinnie spraying is only acceptable for light priming and stonechip etc.
if you have an area bigger than a single garage and a big compressor then your well away as for paint id go with standox or dupont only as this is very high quality paint and quite forgiving. when your done spraying make sure you colour sand before laquering,then overkill it with laquer and flat again then hire out or buy a mop and polish the life out of it. its painstaking and teadious but the end result is what counts,im lucky...i can just get one of the lads at work to do mine(im a body man)and i tried spraying before im quite good but i dont have the patience lol and i can make more money on the timecards by just putting em back straight lol.
good luck.

Benn
16-10-06, 07:08 PM
standox or dupont,dupont is very expensive....ppg and max mater are just as good and a lot cheaper and use as easy to use,(what we use at work)