PDA

View Full Version : what do i need???

mark1astramad
09-10-06, 12:21 AM
right,ive just got my car stripped and need 2 do some major welding work.
first i need to learn, but i want to learn with what im gonna be using,

so.............what type of welder do i need
and what grade of sheet metal do i need??? guage,thickness,ally,steel????

i avent a feckin clue,so please help me

ta:D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Stuart
09-10-06, 08:06 AM
steel for a start. and about 1-2mm thick really.

L14MNP
09-10-06, 12:37 PM
Mig welder mate, buy my snap-on turbo mig 130 for 100 quid :D

Christ
09-10-06, 12:43 PM
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

this is a good forum for mig welding, its got some helpful tips and advice.

DIY*VALVER84
09-10-06, 02:17 PM
youve never welded before then? in that case i'd probably advise you to take it to someone who can weld. you also havent said what it is you will be welding? if its welding the seams and joints for a conversion the yes its easy as an essex girl is. but if your planning on replacing panels etc then you have to think bout distortion etc so if you cant weld dont attempt it.
in any case id say get hold of some 2mm steel plate and just practice stitch weld and running seam welds before you butcher your car lol. with practice and a steady hand and good eye welding is a doddle.
but one hell of a bitch when you get flash eye so wear mask and appropriate gloves or gauntletts.
good luck!

SRlew
09-10-06, 02:40 PM
nah get stuck in mate! my dad let me use his welder a while back to practice like. it started getting alright after bout 30mins.

then i needed some welding doing to my battery tray, so just baught a welder and done that after id welded/modded my back box and seats you get the hang of it. just do some practicing on a steel first off tho.

for body panels and shell etc, you want 20 guage, for chassis stuff 22.

good luck mate. lew