PDA

View Full Version : plateing over suroof

dan23
08-10-06, 10:04 PM
i was thinking of plateing over the sunroof hole
an using a bonnet the same colour as car flame red to make the plate,i am worried that the metal could be too thin an dent easily
what would be the best way to strentghen it

does any one have any pics of this done

mowgli
08-10-06, 10:15 PM
there is a nova roof on ebay at the moment.
the roof is a complex curve & any old sheet of metal will not fit right
I once read a hotrod mag article on how to do this. what they did was to make a wood profile to fit round the hole. it looked like a box with the bottom knocked out. they then hunted round a scrappers till they found the right profile piece of metal.

LUV2XLR8
08-10-06, 10:16 PM
what i was going to do with my sunroof was take the glass out and replace it with metal, so that i could still use the sun roof and it would be safer, as i was doing road rallies in it.
wouldnt think it would need strengthening, as the roof it self is single sheet metal

mowgli
08-10-06, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure, but I thought that the sunroof needed removing & metal permanently fixed in its place for any form of competition.

draper
09-10-06, 06:44 PM
me and my mate had the idea of tacking a piece of metal in, then giving it a skim of filler if your bothered about it being pretty

altho because im not entering comps (yet) im just going to replace the sunroof with polycarb, an idea i saw on PVG

Stuart
09-10-06, 06:49 PM
yeah dave marshall did it with a piece of polycarb. ive bonded a sheet of polycarb onto the roof and bolted the corners down to keep it on lol

draper
09-10-06, 06:59 PM
is dave marshalls the grey mk1 ?? i think it was his WIP i got the idea from

dan23
10-10-06, 10:04 PM
how about take the black surround off the sunroof draw round it so the plate is the same size an weld it to the black surround from the inside
then refit the know plated over sun roof surround ?

Benn
10-10-06, 10:32 PM
welding it would most likely warp the roof,
you'd be better glue/bonding in a shoot of poly carb,or colourd plastic,
or just leaving it in there...

if not cut the roof off and weld a whole new roof skin on...

dan23
11-10-06, 07:23 PM
i meant remove the black surround from sunroof weld plate to it,then refit it on car ?

chris gsi
11-10-06, 10:14 PM
i was going to remove the sun roof from my gsi and and get a bodyshop to riviet and spray a bit off metal in it place i will probley use another nova roof from the scrappy