PDA

View Full Version : FK Coilover Kits

nova ian
08-10-06, 06:04 PM
Anyone used these kits? Just wondering if there any good performance wise.

I am looking into coilovers but dont have a massive budget, Im looking at these or Avo's. (There going to be used for a 2ltr 16v nova.)

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks. Ian

Adam
08-10-06, 06:41 PM
There decent kits for the cash.

I'd buy some.

Iain
08-10-06, 06:51 PM
Am I right in thinking that the FK coilover kit contains front coilovers and normal rear suspension whereas the Avo kit contains both front and rear coilovers?

FK AK Coilover Kit Lowers Vehicle By 40 - 70mm (Not Including Height Adjustable On The Rear.

Adam
08-10-06, 06:52 PM
The rear has a spring platform to adjust the height, not the proper "coilover" type.
And the dampers aren't adjustable on the cheapest FK coilover kit.

Benn
08-10-06, 06:57 PM
i have the hight only kit,and found them to soft,rear springs are good for adjusting the hight but again very soft,

Adam
08-10-06, 07:00 PM
Soft is goooood. Lol

Benn
08-10-06, 07:23 PM
Soft is goooood. Lol
only for ya ass,not for handling,

nova ian
09-10-06, 12:47 PM
So spending a little more to get the Avos will be better for handling then by the looks of things then.

Thanks for the advice people

craig green
09-10-06, 12:50 PM
IMO they are cheap imported kits. If you want good results from mechanical components then buy proven, well known brands.

Ive been stung with cheap rubbish in the past. Just dangerous & a waste of lots of time & money if you ask me.

DIY*VALVER84
09-10-06, 01:54 PM
you get what you pay for, imo you will be far better off with the avo setup as they are proven for handling and lets face it if its going in a valver then your going to need all help possible when it comes to handling lol.

Adam
09-10-06, 03:06 PM
I have seen the FK kits for sale at ?300 a while back, quite a saving over Avo which are ?450+

And Fk are german made, and tend to be good quality going by what people say about them.

People have also had problems with Avo's, knackered seals etc on the dampers.

DIY*VALVER84
09-10-06, 03:25 PM
granted bout the seals on avo's i have heard that before.
why not go old skool and spend the extra dough on good old koni coil overs or try the new leda's now there both top kit. both around the 500 mark...ish!
or even the new gaz gold range www.gazshocks.co.uk (http://www.gazshocks.co.uk)
spax rsx stainless coilovers are meant to be good too, www.spaxperformance.com

DIY*VALVER84
09-10-06, 03:28 PM
or if you have the money and you want the bee's knees suspension setup...
avo monotube coilovers, there in a 3 stage adjustable stages and a wide range of inserts 30mm -100mm they start at 300+vat EACH!!!!
if youve got that sort of money then please be my friend lol.

craig green
09-10-06, 03:45 PM
what is old skool about KONI coilovers exactly?

AVO have been doing them for quite sometime. KONI are relatively new to the concept, regarding Novas anyway.

nova ian
09-10-06, 04:25 PM
or if you have the money and you want the bee's knees suspension setup...
avo monotube coilovers, there in a 3 stage adjustable stages and a wide range of inserts 30mm -100mm they start at 300+vat EACH!!!!
if youve got that sort of money then please be my friend lol.

LOL lol

If I had the money that would be nice!
I would consider Leda's as I know there good units, we ran Ledas on my brothers F1 stock car for the tarmac tracks, and avos on the spax or avos on shale, I know this is differnt to a car for the road/track but the principle is the same.

I just dont have a huge budget and saw these FK's and wondered what they would be like compared to the more well known brands.

But as someone said earlier, stick with what you know works. I will get a quote on some Ledas but I can see them being out of budget!!

Matt2107
09-10-06, 04:43 PM
I dont think Spax cost the earth.

craig green
09-10-06, 04:47 PM
Why do you have to have coilovers.

An AVO/chassis dynamics fixed platform kit will be more than sufficient for fast road/track day stuff.

The setup of tracking & camber etc is equally as effective.

nova ian
09-10-06, 07:07 PM
Why do you have to have coilovers.

An AVO/chassis dynamics fixed platform kit will be more than sufficient for fast road/track day stuff.

The setup of tracking & camber etc is equally as effective.

I don't necessarily have to have coilovers, just was swaying towards them as they seem a pretty proven choice and the variety of settings appeals, although i suppose adjustable shocks can offer similar options.

Going back to your comment about tracking and camber, what else would you need to be able to alter this other than the adjustable top mounts? If i didnt use a front anti roll bar do you not need the lowered tie bars etc?

Also does anyone have any opinions on the handling of a 2ltr 16v with and without using a front anti roll bar?

Ian

craig green
09-10-06, 07:35 PM
ARB on a 2.0 is another tin of worms & there are numerous threads about that already. General consensus is go without.

There are 'sorted' camber & castor settings for tarmac use, so its a matter of getting it set up. I'm not familiar with the exact settings as its usually referred to but never revealed (on forums). But some ecc' top mounts or VW lower camber bolts & some lowered tie bar mounts would get you there.

I think its just a case of maximising good suspension components assuming they are already in place.
Ive just fitted new AVO coilovers to the back end of my GSi. Yet to drive it but I'm quite impressed with what Ive seen so far. I would have got GAZ I think but couldnt be doing with the wait for them to be made.

Benn
09-10-06, 10:56 PM
Also does anyone have any opinions on the handling of a 2ltr 16v with and without using a front anti roll bar?

Ian
drove mine with,and with out, and was much better thru the corners without.