PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel steering

gkjnr
08-10-06, 04:20 PM
does anybody know why my nova feels like its rear wheel steering when i,m pushing it on ,its got -60mm springs eibach shocks and is fully polybushed?

mowgli
08-10-06, 06:58 PM
either your rear tyres are pressured too low, or the tracking is a mile toe out, or the rear beam is bent, or the polybushes that hold the rear beam( I take it they have definitely been fitted) are too soft.

I suggest a 4 wheel alignment check

Bouch
08-10-06, 07:06 PM
Is it rear wheel steering or over steering?

gkjnr
08-10-06, 07:25 PM
its rear wheel steering, the polybushes are ok and its just had a 4 wheel alignment check, it must be something to do with the springs because it wasn,t doing this before they were fitted but i,ve checked them and everything looks ok

Lee
08-10-06, 07:36 PM
wont be the springs as its not got independant rear suspension! The only ting that will make the rear wheels 'steer' is either the bushes or seriously worn wheel bearings!

Stuart
08-10-06, 07:37 PM
is the back end making the car turn in more or is the back end stepping out to give you the impression its turning in more?

burgo
08-10-06, 08:00 PM
will be a bent rear beam and i bet its the camber out and therefore it not showing up on a tracking check. this was the problem with mine anyway and what made me loose the back end a crash. after repairing the car and fitting a new beam its a completely different car to drive and i havnt been able to loose the back end yet

mowgli
08-10-06, 09:12 PM
stick the stock springs back on, and road test it. I know it is rough science, but it takes about 10 minutes to see if the springs are wrong. could be the dampers are too hard. Are they adjustable?

gkjnr
09-10-06, 11:02 AM
it was ok before i fitted the springs the beam is ok tha dampers are eibach non adjustable , i,ll get back under it for another checkup, thanks for all the replies

craig green
09-10-06, 01:34 PM
I wouldve said very worn bushes, but I guess not.

Was it fine before you fitted the new suspension?

Are the springs seated in the chassis legs, easy to get them sat wrong if they are -60mm.

Bouch
09-10-06, 08:18 PM
Having stiff suspension on the rear end(which i'm guessing it will be at -60mm) will make it over steer.

gkjnr
09-10-06, 08:57 PM
that could be the reason ,how do i fix that without resorting to soft springs?

Stuart
09-10-06, 09:26 PM
put the front arb back on....

but to be honest ive not been in a nova with wild oversteer so something else must be wrong with your setup lol

gkjnr
09-10-06, 09:31 PM
arb is on and polybushed

gkjnr
09-10-06, 09:32 PM
i,ll get my big carcass under it tommorow and report back my findings cheers guys

Bouch
12-10-06, 07:50 AM
Heres as a long shot chap,but "IF" everything else is sound and you don't want to change your rear springs. Try removeing your rear ARB. But if you do, don't go hareing round the lanes to test it out! It might give you massive understeer, so be abit ginger to see if it improves.

burgo
12-10-06, 12:29 PM
no offence if theres nothing wrong with the car praps its your driving. if you cant drive properly as in lifting off round corners or braking round the corner then as youve uprated the suspension your crap driving will be made even worse and make it seem like it is handling worse when in fact it is handlin better and you just cant control it

gkjnr
12-10-06, 09:04 PM
no offence if theres nothing wrong with the car praps its your driving. if you cant drive properly as in lifting off round corners or braking round the corner then as youve uprated the suspension your crap driving will be made even worse and make it seem like it is handling worse when in fact it is handlin better and you just cant control it
nice mate i,ll ask the porsche 968 driver or the bmw m3 e36 driver or maybe the few subarus that i trounced round knockhill if my drivings ok.lol

Welsh Dan
12-10-06, 09:16 PM
Tyres?