PDA

View Full Version : overspray removal

mowgli
08-10-06, 02:38 PM
My nova was parked in the company workshop & one of our blokes had to spray a load of guttering with an 'environmentally friendly' enamel paint. This bloke had apparently sprayed things before. It would appear that he meant walls with urine whilst drunk.....
So I now have a car that is half red & half red with black overspray.
This stuff used a solvent free thinner, and I tried using a steam cleaner with detergent. I used some petrol on the windows with some success.
Any good ideas would be appreciated

Benn
08-10-06, 02:49 PM
g3 on a cloth,
or g6 on a mop if your brave enough,

or some blue clay bar,

mowgli
08-10-06, 03:46 PM
OK I have some g3, but what about the plastic trim?
I suppose it needs a respray anyway, maybe this is god's way of hurrying it up a bit.

Benn
08-10-06, 04:34 PM
blue clay bar might be better for trim,some paint surplyers will sell it,but t will lift any peeling paint tho,but gets overspray off easay.

dan23
08-10-06, 04:47 PM
tar an glue remover or thinners on a cloth for the plastics but you will have to use bumper gel or similar on them after or they will go white .

t cut should work on the body work if not a little bit of thinners in a window clener spray bottle then t cut .but dont use thinners on anything that recently been painted

mini_kris
08-10-06, 04:56 PM
i say get your company to pay for the respray ;)

Benn
08-10-06, 05:00 PM
i wouldnt use thinners on plastics,

Mazz
08-10-06, 05:33 PM
i say get your company to pay for the respray ;)

Yep, thats what i'd do...

mowgli
08-10-06, 06:36 PM
problem with the thinners is that the paint came from a 'green' shop, the kind of place where you can get tofu bogrolls for ?19.99 for 4 from. the thinner supplied with it smelt like orange juice, and there wasn't any spare. the paint is an enamel. normal thinners didn't even manage to clean the spray gun out.
As, by rights I shouldn't actually have stuck the car in the workshop, I think getting my employer (my big brother) to pay for it, when he actually threatened to skip it, is a bit tenuous.
I think the g3 or clay bar idea seems best

NOV4_SPORT
08-10-06, 08:59 PM
i had a load of clear coat over spray on my car, meguires "quick clay" done the job, so good i had to do the whole car to match its smoothness lol.

dan23
08-10-06, 09:25 PM
have you tryed t cut if the paints new t cut should bring it straight off
t cut it then polish it while the t cut is still on it saves all the hard rubbing an is a lot quicker
thinnners on plastic is ok if the thinners is on a cloth an your gentle with it if you put loads on it does fook the plastic

mowgli
08-10-06, 10:19 PM
trust me, it is beyond t cut.
I keep saying that thinners won't do it. it is not solvent based
we are talking of more than the normal overspray. this stuff is like powdercoat. it is stuck on.

Benn
09-10-06, 09:37 AM
you might have to take it to a bodyshop and let them have a look and see what they can do...i had to do this my dads car after it was coverd in a tar like under seal stuff,took it to my work and we had to blue clay it and buffthe crap out of it to get it off,

Stuart
09-10-06, 10:00 AM
hammer and chisel

cavturbomike
09-10-06, 10:19 AM
If thinners does nothing then take it to a bodyshop, they will try thinners even if u tell them it wont work, but the bodyshop i worked at had a fancy machined bit of metal (about an inch by an inch) thats very flat but has a "machined" egde, u kind of slide it back and fore over the paint and it will take the nibs(overspray) off without scratching the paint. Then just give it a polish over. Would imagine most places will have something similar. Have you tried panel wipe, it sometimes takes things off that thinners wont but u have u work at it longer.

Benn
09-10-06, 10:33 AM
its a bodyfile....scarey thing to use,

Matt2107
09-10-06, 10:51 AM
Pics?

cavturbomike
09-10-06, 10:59 AM
Nah its not a bodyfile, i know what they are! Its nothing fancy and it wouldnt say it was hard to use, cant go wrong, im not sure what the actual name is but il find out for u

Novadex
09-10-06, 04:07 PM
your all mad i tells ya! if this was caused threw the negligence of someone else, then its there fault therefore there responsibility. Why do you think people have insurance? lay it on thick and get a respray ;)

cavturbomike
09-10-06, 05:00 PM
Its his brother! Id say thats a bit harsh

Stuart
09-10-06, 05:39 PM
meh even family have to be responsible for stuff...

would you let your borther off for knocking your house down?

cavturbomike
09-10-06, 06:01 PM
Lol, no but knocking down a house and little bits of overspray are just a bit different!!

Stuart
09-10-06, 06:04 PM
principles are the same ;)

cavturbomike
09-10-06, 06:09 PM
lol

Jack
09-10-06, 06:35 PM
I'd say clay bar and plenty of elbow grease, otherwise if you're planning on a respray anyway then leave it and wait for that. I can recommend a nice shade of red... lol

mowgli
18-10-06, 09:10 PM
final update.
1. my brother owns the workshop & I shouldn't actually have left the car in there
2. the bloke who covered it in overspray is no longer working for us
3. the first response said g3 and it does work but it takes ages I am going to use the electric polisher next,
4. I am worried about some of the replies, some of them were positively scary

dan23
18-10-06, 09:19 PM
try a rougher compound if g3 takes ages

ade
18-10-06, 10:07 PM
if its enamel youve no chance - they coat old cast iron baths with the stuff and once on thats it!!!

You can try a mop with G3 or another suitable rubbing compound - problem with that is youre also rubbing your existing paint work.

It's possible the enamel may have also reacted with the existing paint and once removed may leave like a patched effect (like little dost) behind where the existing paints absorbed it - might not though.

I'd say smooth the affected area with 1000 wet n dry and then if necessary respray the affected areas - but only is G3/mop option dont work..

What colours your car?

And stick some pics up...