PDA

View Full Version : Will this need to be welded?

Iain
08-10-06, 09:41 AM
Found this under my passenger side front arch, will it need to be welded for safety/to pass an MOT?

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/FrontArchRust1.JPG

Also the inner arch bit (don't know the name) is slightly rusted at the bottom, is that a problem? You can't see it when the arch is on, probably because of the mudflap fixings.

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/FrontArchRust2.JPG

KPautomotive
08-10-06, 09:48 AM
yes both of them are a failure matey...bottom might get away with an advise

The top one is within 30cm of a structural point

Stuart
08-10-06, 09:51 AM
ive totally cut the lower rear inner arch from the front of mine lol. no rust and its all soid round the area..... cant see why that would fail ;)

Iain
08-10-06, 09:53 AM
Okay thanks, I'll definitely get the rust in the first picture fixed. :thumb:

Benn
08-10-06, 10:20 AM
the top one in the chasic rail wont be,as with the wing on you wont see it,
but i'd weld it up anyway so it dont get worse,

Adam
08-10-06, 12:17 PM
the top one in the chasic rail wont be,as with the wing on you wont see it,
but i'd weld it up anyway so it dont get worse,
True, the tester cannot remove any bodypart.
He will probably see/feel it tho if he looks/feels up by the turret, and then it'll fail.

The bottom of the inner arch is just a splash guard, and does foook all.

Iain
08-10-06, 01:03 PM
Yeah you can feel it and put your finger through it if you put your hand up there lol Will get it welded to be on the safe side :)

Benn
08-10-06, 01:06 PM
The bottom of the inner arch is just a splash guard, and does foook all.

but it wqill fail if its holed,

Adam
08-10-06, 01:13 PM
Why?
Its not structural.

SuperNova!
08-10-06, 01:20 PM
My nova failed on a hole smaller than yours under the drivers side wing, if he see's it it will fail

mini_kris
08-10-06, 01:23 PM
if your after a quick mot stick gaffer tape over the holes mot testers arnt aloud to remove anything from the car thus if they cant see it they cant fail it, i did it will my side skirts ast hey were hanging off, i would deffinatly fix that chassis rail though as its only going to get worse!

mikey14sr
08-10-06, 02:42 PM
First pic needs welding as the turret will be flexing around under heavy load if it gets worse, There are structural reasons for it being boxed at that point.
The splash guard you can just rivet a plate over it, but that is also where the 'A' pillar is joined to the main chassis leg in the engine bay, so make sure that where the two panels meet is ok first.