PDA

View Full Version : which bottom end

stafford
07-10-06, 08:28 PM
i am building a tuned 1.4 and ive read in total vauxhall that the c in the engine number means it has to be tested on emmisions for mot but the sr bottom end i dont think it has to,it is the code for the sr (14nz) but r they weak. is it better using an sri one (c14se). any help cheers
:thumb:

Stanley
07-10-06, 08:32 PM
all 1400 bottom ends are the same IIRC

regardless youd have to notify DVLA and insurance of the change if wanting to avoid emmisions in MOT test

stafford
07-10-06, 09:05 PM
its in the pistons that id like to know which are the best sr or injection

kronk10
07-10-06, 09:30 PM
its in the pistons that id like to know which are the best sr or injection

I dont think it matters i have a tuned 1.4 i had my bottom end rebuilt with new arp bolts and shells and thats all your gonna need really. They are really bombproof once you get it rebuilt. But deffo go for arp bolts and new shells, whats your spec gonna be, you tell me yours and i will tell you minelol

stafford
07-10-06, 09:37 PM
ive not started yet i know about the bolts and shells and all that its gunna be 1.4 with an sri ported polished skimmed head with and 32/34 weber carb ashley full system with a pipper cam think its a 275 degree. ive heard cav diesel valves fit that one thing i need to find out cause they r flat. the question is which bottom end for the pistons tharb model has like a bowl shape piston with indents for the valves.

kronk10
07-10-06, 09:59 PM
ive not started yet i know about the bolts and shells and all that its gunna be 1.4 with an sri ported polished skimmed head with and 32/34 weber carb ashley full system with a pipper cam think its a 275 degree. ive heard cav diesel valves fit that one thing i need to find out cause they r flat. the question is which bottom end for the pistons tharb model has like a bowl shape piston with indents for the valves.

Do you really wanna spend money and time on these things though!?! If you want a big spec stupidly strong engine go for it. But just a standard rebuild with bolts shells and you can get new valves. But that would do i think!!? the best person to ask is stu he has a 1.4 tuning guide i took some ideas of his guide. Instead of a ported polished 1.4 sri head i just used a 1.6 gte head had it skimmed to same as sri then i had all porting and polishing done. The valves etc in both heads are identical (bar a few things)

my spec is rebuilt twin webber 40's (itg filter), ported polished (skimmed) 1.6 gte head, newmann road/rally cam, 4-2-1 manifold and full system, rebuilt bottom end shells/arp bolts etc, facet fuel pump and regulator, 16 valve brakes, f16 gsi gearbox, green stuff pads and theres more stuff but i cant remember. Myn is not silly spec but its getting there i wanna get uprated pulleys and valves lightened and balanced flywheel and more its just mega expensive its been RR at 113 bhp but that was after rebuild and its been proper run in now so should be making 115+ (i want 120) (edit i really really want 120 ha)

stafford
07-10-06, 10:18 PM
this engine isnt for me its for a mate im like the mech of the group of us im doin the red top but thats a while off

Stuart
08-10-06, 09:08 AM
also your going to have problems getting an inlet manifold that will take the 32/34 carb that fits the 1.4mpi head as its got round ports etc and there are no round port carb inlets (bar T40 ones).

also a 270deg cam is more or less pointless.... go for 285 - 300.

for the record the 1.4 and 1.6 mpi heads are pretty much the same bar compression ratio....

anyway th 1.4 guide is in my sig link

mowgli
08-10-06, 10:03 AM
all gm small block engines have bowls in the piston & valve cutouts. to be honest, get the crank checked, + new shells, maybe new big end bolts, definately a new oil pump gear set, maybe a rebore & new std spec pistons. the engine would be good for a lot of use.
there is a lot of hot air produced when engine tuning is talked about. simply getting a machine shop to sort out your block & fitting new stock stuff will probably give you a 5-10% improvement in power immediately simply because a 15year old engine is going to be knackered

mowgli
08-10-06, 10:09 AM
I did get a Kolbenschmidt piston catalogue downloaded on a pdf file. these people actually make the genuine stuff, but their uk agent went bust a few years ago. if anyone is interested, this book shows ALL of the piston dimension detail for gm engines worldwide.
PM me if you want a copy

Adam
08-10-06, 12:37 PM
14se bottom end is different to 14nv/c14nz.
Shouldn't really effect power tho.

I'd get a 14nv bottom end, and rebuild that.
Keep the 14se valves, as they are massive compared to 1200/1300 heads, i can't see diesel valves fitting myself, probably completely different to petrol head/valves.
But as stu said, the std carb inlet match the head ports.

Or fit a 1300 head, inlet etc, and weber 32/34.

womble sri
08-10-06, 01:32 PM
get some t40's and a 300 degree cam its all good fun

kronk10
08-10-06, 03:38 PM
also your going to have problems getting an inlet manifold that will take the 32/34 carb that fits the 1.4mpi head as its got round ports etc and there are no round port carb inlets (bar T40 ones).

also a 270deg cam is more or less pointless.... go for 285 - 300.

for the record the 1.4 and 1.6 mpi heads are pretty much the same bar compression ratio....

anyway th 1.4 guide is in my sig link
Stu is the small block man:thumb:

Is that a good thing thoughlol i think more people should be tuning there original small blocks, there cheap, readily available and there fun and can have loads of power/torque. And i still get asked why i went for a 1600 head over a 1400 sri jobby stu!!! i keep telling people but they give me funny looks??

Stu hows your 1.2 doing that is an inspiration:eek:

Adam
08-10-06, 04:15 PM
Stu hows your 1.2 doing that is an inspiration:eek:
lol /\

It dont matter you went for a 1600 head, as long as it was skimmed to get compression back. Its just the 1400mpi head wouldn't need skimming for compression.
Plus the 1600 heads are cheap as to buy.

And the reason behind the big block engines is cheap easy power, you could spend ?600-?1000+ on a 1600 engine to get the same power as a std ?150 xe.

kronk10
08-10-06, 04:25 PM
lol /\

It dont matter you went for a 1600 head, as long as it was skimmed to get compression back. Its just the 1400mpi head wouldn't need skimming for compression.
Plus the 1600 heads are cheap as to buy.

And the reason behind the big block engines is cheap easy power, you could spend ?600-?1000+ on a 1600 engine to get the same power as a std ?150 xe.

But it is an inspiration to do that much to a 1.2:tard: is he still doing it or did he pack it in. But i do get a wierd looks or comments when i talk to people about what head i went for :confused: oh are you going down to the pod on the 15th (sunday)

Adam
08-10-06, 04:31 PM
Nah, im not laughing at the inspiration bit, Lol. Just Stu's 1200.

Doubt im going pod, got a rolling road day on the 14th (sat) got to get engine through that first.

kronk10
08-10-06, 04:54 PM
Nah, im not laughing at the inspiration bit, Lol. Just Stu's 1200.

Doubt im going pod, got a rolling road day on the 14th (sat) got to get engine through that first.

I wanna book mine in for a rolling road on thefriday for a check up and get some figures. But my missus is also off that day so i cant bloody go:cry: never mind i know its ruuning fine. I am just so nervous about the quarter mile time i got 18 secs on a standard engine running unported mixed matched bits and twin webbers last time i went. I just really wanna make at least 16's and i really, really want 15's Would that be possible:confused:lol

Adam
08-10-06, 05:01 PM
Probably mid 16s.

Stuart
08-10-06, 07:05 PM
benji managed to creep into the very high 15's with a 1400 running circa 110bhp and a stripped shell....

yeah erm the 1.2 mmmmmm wonderfull ;) lmao

kronk10
08-10-06, 08:06 PM
Its running 113bhp+ but it aint stripped as i use it everyday and i sometimes take people places i really wanna strip it but dont know:wtf:. When i get there i am deffo taking out the spare wheel but thats it when it comes to weight:confused: if i get high 15's i will be really, really chuffed but if i get mid 16's i will be pleased. Any tips on getting a good start off the line, does wheel spinning before to get the tyres nice and warm. Oh and i have recently replaced one front tyre but the other one is bad would it be a plus to get the other one replaced:confused:

kronk10
08-10-06, 08:07 PM
benji managed to creep into the very high 15's with a 1400 running circa 110bhp and a stripped shell....

yeah erm the 1.2 mmmmmm wonderfull ;) lmao

whats the gen on the 1.2 then stu i gotta know:thumb:

Stuart
08-10-06, 08:17 PM
it is going to remian an urban legend like Rick drapers, Dan 16v, Ian, Kev, and many other "lost soul" projects lol

kronk10
08-10-06, 08:20 PM
it is going to remian an urban legend like Rick drapers, Dan 16v, Ian, Kev, and many other "lost soul" projects lol
HA but wasnt it almost:wtf: done i will keep an eye out then. It hasnt been in the making as long as joffs car has it:tard:

Stuart
08-10-06, 08:23 PM
joffs an amature by ricks standards lol.... the 1.2 has been 2.5 years on the go lol

kronk10
08-10-06, 08:34 PM
joffs an amature by ricks standards lol.... the 1.2 has been 2.5 years on the go lol

****ing 2.5 years lollollol that is class. But on a serious note if you did the rest of the car up to a mint standard (if it already isnt) you could get that in total vauxhall just on the basis of the spec and pure CRAZYNESS i would pay to read about it:thumb:

Stuart
08-10-06, 08:41 PM
id rather set fire to the car than have it in TV....

kronk10
08-10-06, 09:12 PM
id rather set fire to the car than have it in TV....

Do i sense a hatred of tv???:(

Stuart
08-10-06, 09:24 PM
no, a hatred of mag features. ill have my name as credits in them but refuse to have a car in there....

plus 98% of people simply dont get the 1.2 thing. meh

i cba, ive got more entertaining things to drive lol

kronk10
08-10-06, 10:29 PM
no, a hatred of mag features. ill have my name as credits in them but refuse to have a car in there....

plus 98% of people simply dont get the 1.2 thing. meh

i cba, ive got more entertaining things to drive lol

Fair enough but i still think it would be ultra cool and a 1 off. Anyways enough thread jacking iam gonna bugger off to bed so speak to you all laterz:thumb: