PDA

View Full Version : nova project or not?

CLEMMY1
06-10-06, 09:27 PM
right people do i buy an already sorted nova which is mint or build my own as a project? any tips? guidance? ideas? what would ppl like to see done? average costs? im only 17 and love novas wha should i do any comments will be welcomed tell me wot u think? thanx jayson

dannyb
06-10-06, 09:46 PM
What sort of budget do you have? This will determine how the project comes out. If you buy a pre modified car, it usually is cheaper than doing the same things yourself, but then you might look at 20 cars without the touches you really want/like.
Which aspect of 'sorted' do you mean? Do you want a Nova which is stripped out, and angled toward performance (with upgrades like a suspension kit and bigger brakes) maybe a quicker model like an SRi or a GTE/GSi - this may be costly to insure remember. Or do you want something which is all show and no go, think a 1.2 with a bodykit and lots of ICE?
Remember you are doing this for yourself, so dont do what people tell you to. Obviously modifying any car yourself will teach you a lot about the car and is part of the fun, you can have it exactly the way you want.
Prices for a decent standard nova vary wildly depending on area, model and who is selling it. You can pay anything from about ?300 for a sound (that will be rusty arches and an MOT) 1.2 to a few grand for the mintest, very well looked after, restored GSi.

CLEMMY1
06-10-06, 10:22 PM
fnx mate. well im more into bodystyling side of things at the moment what with insurance and stuff.i have about ?1500 to start things rollin and then anything left from pay packets will be going on it. i was thinkin start with a cheap 1.3 sr and goin from there. thanx jayson

draper
06-10-06, 10:26 PM
id always say build yourself - but i often end up looking through the classifieds and seeing XEs/LETs all with good power for 2k - 4k

at the minute im still building my own but its not coming on as quick as id like - altho hopefully it'll be in the bodyshop soon

CLEMMY1
06-10-06, 10:39 PM
klkl keep the comments coming

CLEMMY1
07-10-06, 08:52 AM
any1 else??

dannyb
07-10-06, 09:32 AM
Get a rough idea of how much a bodykitted SR will be to insure. You dont want to be spending all your budget on insurance, otherwise you'll be left with a pittance to by an SR which might be a dog. SRs are only group 5, but with the addition of a bodykit, it moves you from most insurers of 17 year olds to select companies who deal with young drivers and bodykitted cars etc. IE companies who want to charge you through the ****!
What bodykit did you have in mind? No jap kits please! Remeber - Any TIDY nova wearing a subtle GSi kit will turn more heads than a dog in an Evo bumper. Novas are getting rarer, especially well thought out, looked after ones!

CLEMMY1
07-10-06, 09:45 AM
well insurance is not a problem ive got that all worked out so thats fine. i know what you mean about them jap kits they are horrible. i was thinkin a gsi front bumper with laguna splitter maybe combat sideskirts and smoothed gsi rear bumper and a prototype spoiler.

richi
07-10-06, 10:06 AM
i bought i really nice done up nova but it aint over the top with custom front and back bumpers but there is always something about it that i feel i have nt put my own personal touch on it! its the easy way getting a "sorted" nova but sometimes u just feel it isnt urs. if that makes sense. think i will end up getting a standered 1 and doing it my way

jap style muhhahahahahaha

Rexy
07-10-06, 10:09 AM
depending who and what you know, I always buy a base shell and then go from there, but thats me.
as you said, buy a decent sr or sri or even an sxi or flair and go from there. From experience, you will find a better std car for less ??? than finding a modified one. Unless you want to pay silly money of course.

CLEMMY1
07-10-06, 10:11 AM
ye thats what i would probably feel like if i bought one already done. thanx

CLEMMY1
07-10-06, 10:13 AM
yeh thats true actually rexy thanks