PDA

View Full Version : gte/gsi sideskirts WTF!

L14MNP
06-10-06, 03:58 PM
I was attempting to fit the skirts to my mk2 sr last night.

Couldn't use the GM fitting kit as my visit to the dealers resulted in there being about 6 of the bits I need! (according to top buzz)

So I got some no more nails tape (new stuff. v strong!) and was just going to self tapper the bottoms on..

Soooo I fitted the drivers side elbow/end piece then lined up the skirt and it is too short! By about 4-5 inches! WTF

i have 2 sets of skirts and 5 end pieces and all look identical and as they would have left the factory, definitley not been cut/joined IMO

Any ideas then kids? Cos ATM I have 1 end piece on her and it looks a bit daft lol

Can take pics if need be :thumb:

Adam
06-10-06, 04:04 PM
They must have been cut?
The straight part just joins the bottom of the fin bit.

Matt2107
06-10-06, 04:07 PM
Pics needed.

L14MNP
06-10-06, 04:08 PM
They must have been cut?
The straight part just joins the bottom of the fin bit.

Don't say that lol!

I'll take pics later and show ya lol

I'm well confused mate!

Bought them from some dude (think he's on here) has a 20XE that had anthracite tigra 5 spokes, he was selling loads of nova parts, wasn't the type to barry up the car!

Time to go looking through my old emails and see who he is lol

wisewood
06-10-06, 04:11 PM
yeah, take some pics if you can. I attached some skirts to a 1.2 using this method (self tappers screwed through from underneath) and they fit, and held in place really well. Don't see any reason why it wouldnt work if the skirts are standard items.

Unless...

do you have one of the limited edition "Stretch" models? There were only a few mate... they look normal but they're actually slightly oversized - a bit like that new golf plus lol

TommySR
06-10-06, 05:09 PM
^^ lol

General Baxter
06-10-06, 05:12 PM
i had this happen,

i took some skirts of a Sr fitted perfect, attached them to another nova and they were about 2" shorter :(

L14MNP
06-10-06, 05:24 PM
i had this happen,

i took some skirts of a Sr fitted perfect, attached them to another nova and they were about 2" shorter :(

Yeah!

We both have had a "stretch" model then :P lol

What did you do dude?

I think I know the answer like ha ha

General Baxter
06-10-06, 05:32 PM
do you have patten wings on the front ;)

L14MNP
06-10-06, 05:49 PM
do you have patten wings on the front ;)

Yup :( This is what I wasn't wanting to hear!

Those fecking wings lol! Not only will they not fit the car in the 1st place....:mad:

nova23
06-10-06, 06:32 PM
What about new rear archs?? If they are welded on over the top, could move it back.

L14MNP
06-10-06, 06:38 PM
What about new rear archs?? If they are welded on over the top, could move it back.

I hear what you're saying mate but It's still on the original arches!

coochiSR
06-10-06, 08:21 PM
i'm gonna be having a go at fitting mine this weekend, but vauxhall don't sell the fitting kits so i think its gonna be stickaflex and self tapers, but don't self tapers look bit odd?
Dan

L14MNP
06-10-06, 11:29 PM
i'm gonna be having a go at fitting mine this weekend, but vauxhall don't sell the fitting kits so i think its gonna be stickaflex and self tapers, but don't self tapers look bit odd?
Dan

Self tapper the underside mate and stick/bond the sides of the skirts to the body

ste porter
07-10-06, 03:27 AM
mine was slightly short on my car so i tryed them on a few mates spot on on tims and about 3 inch short on craigs old 1 strange realy i was convinced to start with they had been choped lol

L14MNP
07-10-06, 06:11 PM
I checked this morning when i FINALLY got home after being released from police custody! (5.5hrs) (long story, and i guess worth it! basically the little charva **** who almost made me wrap my mates car by deliberately cutting me up/forcing me onto the curb on a bridge, got a good slap from me...)

and the reason the skirts aint fitting is down to the rear arch area, as someone suggested above! where the elbow ends on most other cars i've seen on here is pretty much inline with the door line, mine are the afforementioned few inches away from said area!

Daaaaaaaaamn :roll:

coochiSR
08-10-06, 01:11 PM
not fitting them then? and mines been put off til next weekend now :( sorry lol
Dan

L14MNP
08-10-06, 01:49 PM
Still want to dude! Might go and see a bodyshop see what they say, still want to do it myself though :thumb:

Why you delay yours? Lazy boy lol

not fitting them then? and mines been put off til next weekend now :( sorry lol
Dan

Lee
08-10-06, 04:10 PM
Have you tried removing the elbow piece and then starting again from the front back? It can be easy to twist the back part which loses / gains you a bit of length you dont need?

L14MNP
10-10-06, 02:23 AM
Have you tried removing the elbow piece and then starting again from the front back? It can be easy to twist the back part which loses / gains you a bit of length you dont need?

nope but i will!

cheers man :thumb:

coochiSR
11-10-06, 08:45 PM
hell no wanted to but found out all the stikaflex had been used but looks like its gonna be even longer now! cos i've got some more welding and under-sealing to do first :(
Dan