PDA

View Full Version : Stripping out nova for respray (Interior) **NEWBIE**

cavturbomike
05-10-06, 11:28 PM
Hey dudes, im in the process of painting my nova shell, i was wondering how all the guys with stripped out cars got the sound deadening/insulating stuff off the floor panel? The stuff seems pretty well stuck down and im not sure on the best way to get it off!, I have seen a couple of pics of Novas with lovely shiny painted floors and thats what im after!!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks MIKE

Looks like a good forum, might be here quite a lot!!

Jack
06-10-06, 12:09 AM
Welcome to NL :D

Some people have had sucess doing it on a cold day and effectively chiselling the stuff off.. where as some people have used a hot air gun to warm it up, making it flexible.

cavturbomike
06-10-06, 12:39 AM
Thanks, i might be a regular! Am in the process of fitting a V6 but concentrating on getting the shell ready first, and brakes and suspension then the engine!

Cool, will try a bit of heat, was thinking that, i can imagine there will be a load of glue stuff left but thinners should get most of that off, il probly give it a bash now, cant be bothered goin to bed yet!:thumb:

Chris
11-10-06, 12:44 AM
nevermind a bit of heat, you want loads. a proper hot air gun does the job lovely, oh and wear gloves as it gets pretty hot. Then as you take it out put it all in a bin bag and weigh it when you are done, you will be suprised

Chris

ade
11-10-06, 07:57 PM
why bother - for the amount thats there, less the extra noise coming from the floor against the engine youre fitting it wont make that much difference surely?!?

I cant see how removing a little sound deadening will make that much difference when youre fitting a V6 engine.

I'd look at stripping some other bits out instead like the dash (providing your building the car for racing and not comfort).

cavturbomike
11-10-06, 08:02 PM
Can i just point this out now, "I" have never mentioned anything in any post about saving weight, i am not concerned with making the car lighter! I am doing it solely for looks. If i wanted to try lightening the car i would have chose a different engine for starters

MIKE

draper
11-10-06, 11:09 PM
mine came out easily with a small chisel - took me all of half an hour !! just need a wire brush (dremmel type drill bit thingy) to clean the floor ready for a lick of paint

ade
11-10-06, 11:40 PM
sorry - I didnt realise it was for looks (most remove the stuff to lighten car).

:/

superfu-kingnova
12-10-06, 03:38 PM
bloody hell m8 , im thinking loads of understeer !!!
and you better not hit anything SOLID , just think of that engine coming thru the bulkhead !!

OUCH !! :tard:

goodluck with it m8 , would luv to see it ( and hear it , lol ) when its done .

:thumb:

:cool:

burgo
12-10-06, 03:52 PM
bloody hell m8 , im thinking loads of understeer !!!
and you better not hit anything SOLID , just think of that engine coming thru the bulkhead !!

OUCH !! :tard:

goodluck with it m8 , would luv to see it ( and hear it , lol ) when its done .

:thumb:

:cool:why would a v6 and not any other engine come threw the bulkhead? and why assume theres gonna be loads of understeer?? anywho it all depends how old and hard it is, if its rock hard you will be able to chisle it off but if it is still softish then heat gun. then try using tar remover to get the rest off if thinners dont work

loggyboy
12-10-06, 04:13 PM
I did mine on a hot day and it just peeled out.. left a little glue but i wasnt fussed about that.

All this 'V6s weigh too much' rubbish :roll: yes they are quite heavy, but not much heavier than a big block straight 4 which is done on pretty much a daily basis. If weight was that much of an issue then everyone would do high tuned small blocks. Id love a v6 just to be a little different.