PDA

View Full Version : Brake horse power?

Bouch
04-10-06, 09:44 PM
Why brake HORSE power? Why not brake hippo or otter power?:confused:

And if you were change it to brake hamster power(for instance), what would be the ratio?

687 hamster power = 1 horse power????

;)

Spudly
04-10-06, 09:59 PM
Possibly, so would that change it from DOHC to DOHH (Double Over Head Hamster) lol

Philsutton
04-10-06, 10:02 PM
how many hippos do you hear about pulling carts or plowing fields? 1 horse power is the power exterted by one horse when pulling. Since we used horses before cars for being lazy it seems like the logical comparison. Crazy i know.

Jim Mcrae
04-10-06, 11:21 PM
why can 1 horse do about 40mph and 55ish horses do about 100mph suppsoe a race horse dont pull a ton of metal

novabex
04-10-06, 11:23 PM
How random are you...

Yeah why is it called horse power? Someone find out.

Like water speed is knotts isnt it? Whats the reason for that?

Bouch
05-10-06, 03:29 AM
Actually bex, I know the answer to that!!
What they use to do to find out there speed on water is to throw a drouge(probably not spelt right) over the side of the ship (which had the same effect as chucking a bucket over the side)which was attached to a rope with knots in it. The knots were tied at a predetermined lenght and at equal distances.
Now after chucking the drouge over the side, the sailors use to count the number of knots that use to pass over the stern(back) of the ship over a certain time period. The faster they went, the more knot passed and the slower they went, the less.
And thats where Knots came from.

Bouch
05-10-06, 03:40 AM
Possibly, so would that change it from DOHC to DOHH (Double Over Head Hamster) lol

If we used Brake Ardvark power instead of BHP, everyone would be asking how many bap's you've got in your motor!!!!!!!!!lol
Which would be fine unless someone starts talking about your missuses motor!!
Would you like some bloke telling you that you missus has got some fine baps under her hood???:eek:

Stuart
05-10-06, 08:02 AM
HP is the ammount of power exerted by a device in proportion to the equiivalent ammount of horses effort.

its all on google (puma racing has the best stuff on this)

1 knot is 1.1 miles per hour (a nauticle mile ;) )

Jack
05-10-06, 08:48 AM
Whats the difference between brake horse power and just horse power, if any...

Welsh Dan
05-10-06, 08:59 AM
BHP and HP

All the B means is "brake". The old word for a dyno - because the engine torque was measured by applying a brake to the flywheel rather than a torque converter or electrical motor which is how it's done nowadays. There's no other difference between the two and they both just mean horsepower.

That.

wisewood
05-10-06, 09:18 AM
Why would you want to ever possibly use an otter as a comparison for a car? lol

bhpnos - the speed that a horse produces isnt the same as its power, 55 horses running at 30mph are still doing the same speed, but the power they have beetween them would mean they could pull a weight of, for example, one vauxhall nova, at a speed of 30 miles per hour with much less effort than one horse.

It's like when you see a couple of builders carrying a steel support or something, one might manage it, but 2 makes it easier.

loggyboy
05-10-06, 09:19 AM
IIRC brake horse power is the way its measured on a rolling road, the RR brakes against the force, which inturn indicates how much power is being exerted

**edit - looks like i should really try to finish my posts quicker b4 sum else writes it lol **

Dar
05-10-06, 09:35 AM
Horsepower is defined as work done over time. The exact definition of one horsepower is 33,000 lb.ft./minute. Put another way, if you were to lift 33,000 pounds one foot over a period of one minute, you would have been working at the rate of one horsepower. In this case, you'd have expended one horsepower-minute of energy.

The typical horse, attached to a mill that grinded corn or cut wood, walked a 24 foot diameter (about 75.4 feet circumference) circle. Watt calculated that the horse pulled with a force of 180 pounds, although how he came up with the figure is not known. Watt observed that a horse typically made 144 trips around the circle in an hour, or about 2.4 per minute. This meant that the horse traveled at a speed of 180.96 feet per minute. Watt rounded off the speed to 181 feet per minute and multiplied that by the 180 pounds of force the horse pulled (181 x 180) and came up with 32,580 ft.-lbs./minute. That was rounded off to 33,000 ft.-lbs./minute, the figure we use today.

TaDa!!

Stuart
05-10-06, 09:46 AM
go metric its far cooler ;)

Matt2107
05-10-06, 10:01 AM
BBP - Brake Badger Power... sounds much better.

Lee
05-10-06, 11:42 AM
Darren, how you keep information like this in your head is a mystery to me when you watch so much Youtue and Clipdump all day lol

wisewood
06-10-06, 01:35 PM
I can answer that question...

Either;
1. He is a genius
2. He has written a great many websites containing the same text as a reminder to himself, storing them on multiple servers around the globe
3. He googled it

lol

just one of the many results... note the distinct similarity in content.
http://www.web-cars.com/math/horsepower.html

Nova_Houch7
06-10-06, 07:53 PM
this forum has made me incredibly intelligent now. Im ganna bore my GF with it tomorrow hahah lol

L