PDA

View Full Version : 1.6GSI Gearbox?

ste_eck
02-10-06, 05:58 PM
The gearbox on my son's GSI has packed in yesterday (crunching and banging). I've taken it off today and plan to source a replacement tomorrow. I've looked in Haynes, read a good fair few threads on here and another forum in Benelux and am fairly confused by all I've read. Haynes states the GSI box being a F13/5CR with a final drive ratio of 3.74:1, I know this is disputed here and elsewhere and I don't want to get into debate about it.

What I need to know is what gearbox is best to fit this motor, I'm looking for whatever is standard on the GSI, I know loads of Vauxhalls are fitted with the f13 boxes, but which one's are the same drive ratio's as the GSI's? I believe Corsa 1.4 from 90 to 97 is an exact match, anyone confirm?

Also can anyone confirm that the electronic speedo sensor from the old box will fit over to whatever new box I aquire, or is there owt special?

Cheers

Ste

Adam
02-10-06, 06:22 PM
Have a look under the selector fork on the box, F10/F13 will be stamped there.
If its a f13 then you need another f13 as a f10 wont fit.
It doesn't really matter about the drive ratio, all will fit.
It will just change the acceleration/top speed.

Have a look on the end plate of the box, the cluster(CR/Wr) and Drive ratio is stamped there.

ste_eck
03-10-06, 11:05 AM
Any one be more specific where I can find this 'end plate' I have looked all over the gearbox this morning and cant find any stamping. The only marking is the embossed F13? I assume 'end plate' means the end cover which has to be removed to withdraw the input shaft to the clutch, when fitting a new clutch? There are no marks on it, or are they on the inside?

Stuart
03-10-06, 11:25 AM
look at the sped in gear link in my sig link site.

there is a lot of info at the top of the page you fill in ;)

ste_eck
03-10-06, 11:51 AM
Thanx for that Stuart, now I know its deffo a F13/5CR with a 3.74:1 final drive ratio, more importantly I can now spot an exact match at the breakers at a glance.

BTW Good site m8 I will visit it again once the new box is fitted as the speedo is miles out!

Many thanks m8.