PDA

View Full Version : timing up

stafford
02-10-06, 10:56 AM
does any know how to time up a 1.6 gte without the timing cover?

Adam
02-10-06, 04:13 PM
Align Cam Sprocket mark with cover.
Align bottom pulley mark with cover.

Sorted.

stafford
02-10-06, 05:18 PM
with out the cover

Stuart
02-10-06, 05:19 PM
should be a pin sticking out of the front of the oil pump, line up the bottom pulley on that, and the cam pulley mark should be verticle iirc? someone look in haynes!!!

Adam
02-10-06, 05:21 PM
Ahh sorry, i didn't see without cover, Lol.

Yeah, cam sprocket should have the mark that points up vertical.
The crank sprocket should have a cast arrow on it that points vertically down iirc.

Philsutton
02-10-06, 05:22 PM
yes the cam pulley is vertical, its the small block xe's that the cam pulleys notches face each other horizontally

stafford
02-10-06, 05:28 PM
wats happend lads my mate took the cover off and ive rigged it up with a cover off a 1.2i so it does have a mark it ran rough tho, i went to my mates and it looked like the difference is that it looks the cam pulley has to be 1 tooth back. i can get the crank to position by taking spark plag 1 out and get the piston to tdc

Adam
02-10-06, 05:30 PM
The std bottom pulley mark does NOT relate to TDC tho, it relates to 5/10deg BTDC(ignition timing point)

benthehash
02-10-06, 06:51 PM
kinda finishing the rebuild on me gsi and been trying to time her up. Did the trick of finding the tdc of piston 1 with the screwdriver down sparkplug but the cam sprocket aint anywhere close to vertical. do i forget this and just have the arrows up down?

Stuart
02-10-06, 06:56 PM
there is a mark on the bottom pulley that does line up right ;)

Adam
02-10-06, 07:01 PM
kinda finishing the rebuild on me gsi and been trying to time her up. Did the trick of finding the tdc of piston 1 with the screwdriver down sparkplug but the cam sprocket aint anywhere close to vertical. do i forget this and just have the arrows up down?
I set the crank so all pistons are level, about 40deg back from tdc iirc.
You want to set the Cam correctly, sprocket mark up vertical.

And THEN set the crank, if you look on the bottom sprocket(not pulley) there should be a cast arrow.

benthehash
02-10-06, 07:14 PM
havent but the pully on yet so i could see the sprocket, i see the arrow on it this faces verticaly down when i've done the cam. then just slip the belt on?

aswrally
02-10-06, 08:25 PM
there is a mark on the bottom pulley that does line up right ;)
its at about 2 oclock when looking at the pulley

stafford
03-10-06, 10:21 AM
so stu i know there is like a pin sticking out on the 1.6 and on the 1.2 cover its a bit of a notch sticking out r they in the same place. got it running tho but it needs cyrition tuning tho.

stafford
03-10-06, 10:42 PM
all sorted pretty fast vibrates a fir bit wit solid mounts but job done cheers lads.