PDA

View Full Version : arp rod bolts

doug_sri
01-10-06, 09:51 PM
Anyone know where is the cheapest place to get these? Most places seem around the ?60 mark. Also are these really worth getting? From what I have read they are but I last two c20xe engines have been fine even when one was running a higher rev limit and 190bhp but i am fitting a turbo engine and thinking about running 260bhp. Going to have the sump off soon to change the gaskets and the engine will be out the car so nows the time to do it if its recommended

Stuart
01-10-06, 09:56 PM
ARP's are only "nessecary" when your revving hard for lots of the time... with a turbo engine power is made low down the rev range therefore ARP's arent vital.

?60 is about the norm...

craig green
02-10-06, 02:16 PM
Aye. I got some from Walden engineering for about ?57. Horses for courses really, just get em from wherever they are stocked, as opposed to waiting.

Considering a LET will rev pretty high I'd fit them anyway. PCPs can still get high which will put extra load on the rods & bolts.

Matt2107
02-10-06, 02:31 PM
Dont really know much about them but from reading what other people have said I reckon if you've got the spare money and seeing as you'll be fiddling around that way anyway then you may as well fit them.

Just for piece of mind.

Stuart
02-10-06, 02:38 PM
cylinder pressure has V little to do with rod bolts going.... its revs and the fact that youve got the piston changing direction violently at higher revs....

craig green
02-10-06, 05:29 PM
True. Not knowing the full history of an engine wont help.

A highly revved & generally fast driven (abused) XE will snap rod bolts because of its hard use.

A LET can/will do the same. I very much doubt the engine in question is low mileage/1 carefull owner.

Stuart
02-10-06, 05:50 PM
indeed. most XE's/LETS have had a long/hard life so all are in need of a rebuild atleast and little upgrades like ARP's etc are jsut nice touches for future proofing