PDA

View Full Version : BRAKE CONVERSION

Anonymous
30-03-01, 12:21 AM
what work is required to fit a set of calipers, pads and discs off a '94 Cavilier SRi onto a '92 Nova SRi ? i've heard they just bolt on..... cheers B-)

Anonymous
30-03-01, 12:23 AM
... oh yeah, i'm only talking about the front brakes by the way . . . . ;)

Anonymous
30-03-01, 01:37 AM
Wot welz do ya have? This is the decisive part!
Its just a case of undoing 2 10mm allen key bolts, removing the fluid pipes, and refiting! Easy job realy.
If u have nova 3-spoke, or other 13/14" wheels then ur gonna have probs. If u go ahead with the conversion let me know m8!!
dicko@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
30-03-01, 01:37 AM
Wot welz do ya have? This is the decisive part!
Its just a case of undoing 2 10mm allen key bolts, removing the fluid pipes, and refiting! Easy job realy.
If u have nova 3-spoke, or other 13/14" wheels then ur gonna have probs. If u go ahead with the conversion let me know m8!!
dicko@novaload.org.uk

Anonymous
30-03-01, 08:32 AM
They are a straight swap, might be worth new pads and discs while your on (try dixons). They will fit under most 14" wheels unless they are the GTE/GSI three spokes, but all is not lost if you do, apparently you can get them under by fitting 3mm wheel spacers and doing a bit of grinding.

"Theres something missing, I'm not all there, Theres something missing".

Anonymous
30-03-01, 10:15 AM
er arent the mounting points different for the cav?? ie so it puts the caliper further out so it can fit round the disc, so if you put em on a nova the calipers will only go round the 236mm discs

or am i talking utter bibliox

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
30-03-01, 11:03 AM
No the astra, nova, cav, calibra, and vectra/omega caliper mounting holes are the same(but vercta/omega are 5 stud discs). The caliper is just bigger, so it will fit the 256mm discs as well on a nova as it does on the cav. :).

Anonymous
30-03-01, 11:06 AM
but the pads are the same size!!

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
30-03-01, 11:22 AM
Could well be same pads, but is the piston bigger? (more power) also the caliper gets more leverage on the bigger disc, same principle as putting a scafold bar on the wheel brace to get more leverage. Having said all that, I take it we are talking about 256mm x 24mm discs and not the 236mm x 20mm ones?

Anonymous
30-03-01, 11:54 AM
im on about the 236x20 ones seeing as im about to go out and get sum calipers today to do a conversion

Anonymous
30-03-01, 02:57 PM
I got Astra GSi calipers and discs, they went straight on, no prbs, but then I have 15 " wheels, and I know for a fact that this combination doesn't fit under the standard 3 spoke jobbies, as I tried to put my spare wheel on and it wouldn't turn!!!!!! dunno about spacers and stuff though, it could work, but would put more stress on the wheel bearings.

Mmmmm forbidden donut. :)

Anonymous
31-03-01, 08:42 PM
ive fitted astra 16v brakes onta a nova, it had corsa 3 spokes,fits no probs, also ive fitted them on mine and i ran standard steelies for a bit, thet also fit, but yes its just a straight swap if u have both the disks and calipers.

Anonymous
01-04-01, 12:51 AM
I have cav GSi16v's on my SR. I have nova-3bars. They fit but i used 3 mm spacers, and I did some grinding on the callipers to get them under! I think ur best sticking with 236mm ATe callipers if u only have 14" wheels!

Dicko

Anonymous
01-04-01, 12:53 AM
thanks lads, cheers for all your help. the mod will be done!!! B-)

Anonymous
01-04-01, 10:26 AM
woo hoo today i get my nova gsi discs, capliers and pads. also there is a chance of the servo but im not sure i want it just yet