PDA

View Full Version : running like a bag of $hit (PLEASE LOOK!)

L14MNP
01-10-06, 12:26 AM
Hopefully this will sound familiar to someone!

My 14 SR is running very rough, basically it's fine if I drive around town (except for the blown exhaust manifold..) however, when I get to around 60-70 (on the novas clocks) - 4th-5th gear it begins to misfire like hell and pops and flames, seems like over fuelling to me?

It can get really bad, to the extent that the car just wants to cut out, and I have to let it, or stall it myself etc dropping down gears doens't seem to rectify the problem either.

However once I've been able to pull away from standstill and providing I dont go over say 45-50 mph (4h gear max) It is fine.

This is really confusing to me because it seems to be down to air/fuel issues, but surely this would happen regardless of the gear its in?

So far I have changed the plugs/leads and added a new K&N panel filter (had it lying around)

I don't recall if it had these symptoms before, but I have removed the EGR thing that bolts to the exhaust manifold and joins to the air intake..

Been told maybe it could be the spark enhancer or something?

Gave as much info as possible here, oh yeah and it's **** on fuel!

Any help appreciated, thanks NL'ers, Liam

Adam
01-10-06, 01:13 AM
Perhaps the fuel pump is struggling to supply enough fuel at constant revs.

Is it a standard SR engine?

L14MNP
01-10-06, 04:33 AM
alright mate, it's a standard engine yeah, any ideas how to check the fuel pump?

I have NO experience with carbs/mech fuel pumps! :(

Adam
01-10-06, 04:47 PM
I would just get another pump, for about ?5, and see if that sorts it.

Stanley
02-10-06, 06:13 PM
My 1400 would do a similar thing at very high revs in 5th.

felt like it was holding back and would occasionaly let out the odd 'pop'

had new pump fitted not long before i put the engine in so i was baffled too.....

does it depend on how much petrol you have in the tank at the time?

garyc
02-10-06, 06:22 PM
check the timing with a stobe to make sure it is correct and advancing properly.

Spudly
03-10-06, 10:25 AM
Sounds like the probs i had with my 1.2 carb runnin a 1400SR inlet and carb (apart from running badly due to port sizes) i tried alsorts putting a fuel filter on it to see if fuel was being restricted (clear type filter) changed the coil dizzy leads plugs and 3 fuel pumps all to no avial, my car was off the road and my mate was having probs with his SR so i lent him my carb and put his on mine, it made no difference to his but fixed mine lol, so if ya can get one try a new carb mate that could be your problem!!! I got one from a local vaux breakers not so long ago for 20 notes i think!!

L14MNP
04-10-06, 04:29 PM
Interesting replies people!

I will get the timing checked, and if that doesn't sort it i'll try another carb, would a 13SR one be the same??

And yeah, thinking back it possibly does get worse when there is **** all in the tank mate, Need to get some time away from work so I can investigate!

:thumb:

Novadex
04-10-06, 05:59 PM
the reason its "popin flames" is becasue you have a blown manifold... where ever the crack is on the manifold it sucks in air causing the fuel left in the exaused to ignite.

L14MNP
04-10-06, 11:14 PM
ha ha I KNEW the manifold had something to do with the annoying barry boy pops and flames!

Guess a work mate owes me a tenner :P

I was gona change the gasket (sounds like its blowing at the join to the head) but 2 of the studs have been rounded off :roll:

Any ideas? :thumb:

Tazzy
05-10-06, 02:34 AM
lol, i have all the same problems with my 1.4sr, hole in downpipe, cutting out when i start it and just let it tick over (revs at only 500 then cuts out), head gasket on way out air/fuel mixture is shate, i might try changing my fuel pump, i wouldnt know how it is at high speeds as its never left the drive!