PDA

View Full Version : engine conversion...

oblong
29-09-06, 09:23 PM
Ok, basically i have a 1.2 Jreg nova atm and would like to change the engine, but i have no idea of wear to start, i dont have much mechanical knowlage, but do have access to basic workshop facilities. but i am in no real rush, and dont mind taking it nice and slow.

wear should i start? can anyone suggest anywhere i might be able to grasp the basics of fitting/tuning etc

Thanks

chris82a
29-09-06, 09:28 PM
If you say your not in a rush i will probably never finish it. Can be done in a weekend with the right now how.

Search for a site called valvers think theres a link on migweb

chris

oblong
29-09-06, 10:21 PM
thanks, when i say i am not in a rush, i mean that i have time to get my head round what to do and how to do it, rather then no rush to acctually finnish it, its my only car i would want if off the road for as little time as possible

Welsh Dan
29-09-06, 11:37 PM
Which engine do you want to fit, up to say a 1.6 nova gsi engine is a lot more straightforward than a c20xe/let.

I'm planning to swap my engine for a younger identical one, and my f10wr gearbox for an f13cr soon-ish.

For the basics of tuning, read stuarts 1.4 tuning guide in his sig, it applies to a lot more engines than a 1.4.

As for the engine swap, as I understand it, remove the battery, get the car up on axle stands, wheels off, bonnet off, remove the steering knuckles then pull the driveshafts out (catching the oil that'll pour out), drain the engine oil+coolant, remove every wire+hose that connects the engine+gearbox to the car (remember to label them if needed!), disconnect the gear linkage then support the engine+gearbox with the crane+rope, unbolt them from the car, then either lift the engine out of the car or lower the engine to a trolley then lift the car over the engine. To fit the replacement engine do everything again in reverse.

If the replacement engine has been left lying around at all, change the cambelt while you're at it.

I've not done this myself yet though. :)

Adam
30-09-06, 04:36 PM
As above really.
In theory, Lol.

Your also have to do a bit of wiring.