PDA

View Full Version : the halfords tuning generation

kronk10
27-09-06, 10:44 PM
I was just speaking to a young guy at a local supermarket i used to work there and know the manager very well. Anyways i got asked ''what you driving now'' i replied with a smile on my face a NOVA now this always makes people laugh why i dont know as there as good as any cheap run around. Then the young lad adds ''what you done to it'' so i tell him i have a full rebuild and give him the full spec and with a gormless look on his face he replies what bhp you running. So after telling him about 113+ after the rebuild he goes into saying my rover is 101bhp and my mate is gonna get me a egr valve that will up my bhp by 10%:eek:lol i surpressed laughing and he continued to tell me his mate has 1.2 clio and hes fitted a egr valve, exhaust and k&n airfilter and after putting it on a dyno has got 30 bhp extra:tard:lol now is this what this generation has come to shelling money out on these fraud mods and thinking they work!!!
Iam just confused why dont they wait till they can get a faster car and invest there money on proper mods etc. And it didnt just end there you see it everywhere and it brings on bad driving and recklesness. One kid a couple of months back had a k&n airfilter fitted on to his nissan sunny 1.4 and almost ran me off the road trying to overtake me (i wasnt even racing him) and just previous nights before his k&n airfilter upgradelol he was driving normally. sorry rant over :thumb:

Lee
27-09-06, 11:14 PM
K&N's come from the same factory as BMW's and they do something to the drivers personality to make them useless drivers.

Well its a cool idea anyway...

peester
28-09-06, 12:07 AM
buy a cavalier or a calibra and you wont get asked 'wot u done to it'..
problem over. lol.

Jack
28-09-06, 12:14 AM
People ask me that about my Celica. Its like because it has a spoilarr and DV/filter it must be running lyk 400bhp innit. I hasten to point out the wing is factory fit, and despiter popular chav belief the DV has added sod all to my bhp. :roll:

draper
28-09-06, 09:21 AM
the DV has added sod all to my bhp. :roll:

gutted since that was the only reason you fitted it :thumb:

Matt2107
28-09-06, 09:35 AM
Dont make me post the RazorJack dump valve pic!!!!

You know how much you love your dump valve... even if it doesnt add bhp.

craig green
28-09-06, 10:02 AM
I agree. Car tuning has just gone out of control. Most of the young idiots here just rant it round in Clio's & Corsa that are loud as feck & barely reach motorway speeds. I'm sure when I got my license, blacked out windows, neons & V-loud exhausts were illegal.
I mentioned this the other day, but I was in Halfords buying some meguiars stuff & a kiddy in front me paid ?70 for a K&N 57i for his 1.2 8v Corsa. As he left the store in front of me, the staff on the till were ripping it out of him about what a waste of money it was & how it will have no gains on his car. The car wasnt even lowered or on alloys FFS.

Fast & Furious has a lot to answer for....

Thinking about it, my worst nightmare would be to walk around at MAX POWER live.

hendrix
28-09-06, 11:30 AM
^^ agreed. gotta love the "stick a K&N and 'performance' back box on and ill get an extra 10bhp innit yo sik" generation. They wouldnt know a real mod if it jumped up and slapped them in the face lol

SRlew
28-09-06, 12:07 PM
PMSL at it all! lol

just makes me laugh. someone i know has a 1.2 corsa c, he's put a back box and some filter onit. and he keeps tellin me all of these cars 'he's had of yeh' (d**k) and the best of it all is he over took me lol slowly then a few days later he was tellin his mates he'd 'had me off'!!! WTF i was doing 30mph in 4th gear or somthin, so he thinks my car with real mods, is slower than his 1.2 corsa with a back box from halfords!

so if an off my mates bring up car subjects i walk off cause im fed up of them sayin crap like k&n and ehausts. i know we all start somwhere, but with most people they dont even know what a cam is etc etc! winds me up even thinking about it! i want to carry on ranting now iv started!

scott.parker
28-09-06, 12:23 PM
Right i see what your all saying guys as it happens everywhere,theres a new generation of kids doing it in my town this summer..

But just think back to your first car,i got a 1.1 fiesta ghia and put ford KA five spoke trims on it and a tail trim and the extra fog light on the other side like the xr2's,inside i put a xr2 steering wheel on and some massive speakers and a sub..its all you can afford at that age and most your mates are doing it too...

You change with age,lol i have just bought a ****ing VW passat TDI even i feel a bit silly like im driving my dads car or something..

Scott

SRlew
28-09-06, 12:29 PM
scott your first car sounds a beast mate! 1.1 fiestas are where its at!

but this is my first car, i was doing good things to mine when i got it. gte bumpers, vuaxhall wheels, good things, prehaps im too cool tho lol

scott.parker
28-09-06, 01:15 PM
scott your first car sounds a beast mate! 1.1 fiestas are where its at!

but this is my first car, i was doing good things to mine when i got it. gte bumpers, vuaxhall wheels, good things, prehaps im too cool tho lol

Or maybe you just earn too much money..lol

When i first got a car i was an apprentice in my job and all i got was ?118 a week to live on...i can earn that in a day now..so you see how times change and you do also as you get older etc.

Scott

draper
28-09-06, 01:20 PM

When i first got a car i was an apprentice in my job and all i got was ?118 a week to live on...i can earn that in a day now..so you see how times change and you do also as you get older etc.

Scott

lucky for some, i was earning ?72 a week and had to pay ?20 a week board !!
and i was paying my dad ?15 a week towards my insurance

Lee
28-09-06, 01:42 PM
I never did it with my first car, it was a K plate corsa merit, and i nicknamed it 'Rubber band' due to the immense torque. I still believe it was the slowest thing I ever drove, and the only mod i ever made was a magic tree air freshner and a sticker on the back that said 'Honk if you Bonk' (iNo, my sense of humour hasnt matured with age), thats if you dont include modifying the camshaft by snapping it clean in two after deciding that if i ignored the oil light, it would go away lol

My next car was a 2.0 cav saloon, so i didnt really need to bolt on useless stuff to try to get 10bhp more out of it. I spent all my time replacing sump gaskets and gearboxes lol

kronk10
28-09-06, 03:26 PM
Right i see what your all saying guys as it happens everywhere,theres a new generation of kids doing it in my town this summer..

But just think back to your first car,i got a 1.1 fiesta ghia and put ford KA five spoke trims on it and a tail trim and the extra fog light on the other side like the xr2's,inside i put a xr2 steering wheel on and some massive speakers and a sub..its all you can afford at that age and most your mates are doing it too...

You change with age,lol i have just bought a ****ing VW passat TDI even i feel a bit silly like im driving my dads car or something..

Scott

Its not that its the fact that they drive act and think like morons who dont have the slightest hint or common sense to think before they buy. How much does it take to actually look up that these kind of mods do **** all to your cars bhp. Asking a compatent mechanic will suffice for gods sake. But the guy i mentioned actaully thought he was going to get 10% extra bhp from an egr valve and airfilter they were his own words. I just dont understand:confused: please someone tell me if iam missing something:eek:

SRlew
28-09-06, 03:43 PM

Scott

lol no when i baught the car i just qut a job so spent all of my wages on it lol thought it was a good thing to do at the time.

and im on ok money now like but i'll be on less soon (quiting this job) so im making the most of it.

hendrix
28-09-06, 03:46 PM
dont some k&n's actually have a negative effect and reduce the bhp because there is no cold air feed set up and its just taking in hotter air from the exhaust manifold region

Stuart
28-09-06, 04:07 PM
if i was a mechanic and someone wasked me to fit an EGR valve to "increase power" i would do so... purely for the money.... and i guess thats why most mechanics/tuners dont give a toss anymore as no matter what you tell people, no one listens so you can jsut rip them off with their gay ideas.

btw egr valves lose upto 30% power lol

kronk10
28-09-06, 04:08 PM
dont some k&n's actually have a negative effect and reduce the bhp because there is no cold air feed set up and its just taking in hotter air from the exhaust manifold region
Yep:thumb: But they sound loud so they make your car so fastlol the reason for the thread is that i have now almost had a couple of near misses with boyracers/chavs driving like complete knobs mainly cus they think there cars better faster with these so called mods on and the fact they think iam gonna race back cus iam in a modded nova. my car looks slighty modded the tell tale hints are the 3 inch exhaust and the growling twin webbers popping and barking away oh and the black wheels. But i dont go driving around like a knob. This is what is driving insurance up for young drivers and it really offends me :mad:

kronk10
28-09-06, 04:14 PM
if i was a mechanic and someone asked me to fit an EGR valve to "increase power" i would do so... purely for the money.... and i guess thats why most mechanics/tuners dont give a toss anymore as no matter what you tell people, no one listens so you can jsut rip them off with their gay ideas.

btw egr valves lose upto 30% power lol
I really wanted to tell this guy to not waste his money but it was his whole attitude on tuning that got me riled up. As soon as i said anything tech like a 1.6 ported and polished+ skimmed, road rally cam he just looked like i was bull****ting and carried on about his mates 1.2 clio. And i use the word tech loosley now because i thought these things were common knowlodge. I have found out though that tunings not what it was and there are rip of merchants everywhere!!!:mad: its hard to find a good tuner let alone a good rolling road machine:wtf:

hendrix
28-09-06, 04:28 PM
i generally thought the idea was to get rid of the EGR valve :confused: dont the 1.2i nova's come 45bhp as standard and the late corsa b 1.2i with EGR come as 44bhp???
Mind you I cant say anything, I drilled the airbox on my 1ltr :tard: when I first past my test. I did fit a carb also off a 1.2 OHV astra which did actually make a difference lol.
The best thing is the lads with the corsa 1.2 12v who kit them up to the nines with the mahoosive jap twin exit exhausts etc and then think the sound like v6's...innit lol lol
also the people who put carbon bonnets on because they 'want to save weight' then fill their cars with SPLX ice :wtf: :tard: lol

Stuart
28-09-06, 04:37 PM
there are lots of good rolling road machines about, just the cretins about that "operate them" dont actually know how to.

Jack
28-09-06, 06:57 PM
Problem is, for every modified car driver who looks after their car and treats it with respect (note correct spelling lmfao), there's a handful of chavs who think adding a K&N, 14" Fox alloys, 100kgs of ICE and a 5" Rage exhaust instantly makes their car a "street racer" and proceed to drive round Tescos/McDonalds/chavvy estates like they're on the Indy 500; therefore the police and general public tar every modified car as chav so act as if we're going to bring about the decimation of society.

[edit]Case in point: The local kroooozzze site are planning another mahoosive Yeovil Krooooze (the last one brought the bottom end of town to a standstill as they crammed one of the main car parks totally full). Another one is being mooted for mid October, and (supposedly) the police have posted on the forum saying "if we see you causing a nuisance we'll arrest you and crush your car". I can almost guarantee that if I happened to drive my car somewhere on that day I'd - at least - get stopped by every copper that saw me. He'd take one look at my car and think, alloys, spoiler, must be a trouble maker here for the krooze, and want to give my car the once over.

gutted since that was the only reason you fitted it :thumb:
lol unfortunately not, the standard wastegate blew itself apart and exited rather hastily from the airbox, and as the Forge one came up cheap I stuck it on as a temporary fix. I've not bothered replacing it since as I can't be ****d and added with the filter i can make my car emit some very odd noises which confuses chavs and makes babies cry lol

draper
28-09-06, 07:36 PM

thats wot ive heard aswell !!

Stuart
28-09-06, 07:38 PM
dosent take a genuis to work that out to be fair lol

even ford messed up the fiesta ST's air intake, it gets hot in summer and backs about 25bhp off the power band lmao

draper
28-09-06, 07:38 PM
lol unfortunately not, the standard wastegate blew itself apart and exited rather hastily from the airbox, and as the Forge one came up cheap I stuck it on as a temporary fix. I've not bothered replacing it since as I can't be ****d and added with the filter i can make my car emit some very odd noises which confuses chavs and makes babies cry lol

i know, BUT i like winding you up :p

Jack
28-09-06, 07:39 PM
Heat Soak is only an issue when the car is standing; when you're moving, cold air is rushing in through the fron grille etc and cools the bay ambient temperature quite a lot. A little too much sometimes, hence carb icing.

TommySR
29-09-06, 06:42 PM
oh my god lol, the lad in the Nissan Sunny lol, i know him if it was around the Derby area hahahaha

TommySR
29-09-06, 06:49 PM
But back on topic, i totally agree, i cant hold a converstaion with most lads round here, you talk to them and mention "proper" modifications and rebuilds etc etc. and they just look like ya lying and go on bout there latest peice of **** mod from Halfords or Motormania, winds me up

Adam
29-09-06, 06:59 PM
Heat Soak is only an issue when the car is standing; when you're moving, cold air is rushing in through the fron grille etc and cools the bay ambient temperature quite a lot. A little too much sometimes, hence carb icing.
Exactly.
I've noticed even after my cars been parked for 5mins the filter is not hot at all.
Its just something someone always says with cone filters.

Stuart
29-09-06, 07:02 PM
the filter itself might not be hot, but the air in the bay is, which gets sucked into the engine.... :wall:

Adam
29-09-06, 07:04 PM
WELL
if the filter is NOT hot, then is it not correct to think the air thats run through the filter is also NOT hot :p

Makes sense? Lol

Stuart
29-09-06, 07:06 PM
nope as there isnt enough time for the air flowing through the filter to heat it much above ambient bay temperatures

kronk10
29-09-06, 07:25 PM
oh my god lol, the lad in the Nissan Sunny lol, i know him if it was around the Derby area hahahaha
Yes it was in derby mickleover
Do you well the story goes, i took my girlfreind home every night and he was always on the laybye talking to his missus then one night out of the blue i hear the sounds of induction kit up my ****:roll: Then going up a hill he boots it past me like he has something to prove???? the only problem was anouther car was coming down the hill so i had to slow down to under 30mph to let him pastlol

craig green
29-09-06, 07:28 PM
Exactly.
I've noticed even after my cars been parked for 5mins the filter is not hot at all.
Its just something someone always says with cone filters.

I would agree in your case (n/a). But if you had a turbo under the bonnet the temps are much higher, it even smells hotter. On idle from cold you can feel a a lot of heat from the manifold area. The ambient bay temp is definately more of an issue for a cone filter then.

The reason XEs are effected so much by cones is because as an engine they run quite lean. As the air thins out as it gets hotter, the engine struggles to maintain optimum mixture.

TommySR
30-09-06, 11:08 PM
Yes it was in derby mickleover
Do you well the story goes, i took my girlfreind home every night and he was always on the laybye talking to his missus then one night out of the blue i hear the sounds of induction kit up my ****:roll: Then going up a hill he boots it past me like he has something to prove???? the only problem was anouther car was coming down the hill so i had to slow down to under 30mph to let him pastlol

Id have held him out lol

He always used to try and get me to race him etc when i had my GSi, he thinks its the fastest thing on the road lol :roll: You going to Santa Pod on the 15th?? I might be heading down with jamiegsi16v etc and he mentioned you might be comin down??

kronk10
07-10-06, 02:25 PM
Id have held him out lol

He always used to try and get me to race him etc when i had my GSi, he thinks its the fastest thing on the road lol :roll: You going to Santa Pod on the 15th?? I might be heading down with jamiegsi16v etc and he mentioned you might be comin down??

Sorry for surfacing this thread yeah iam going down the pod on the 15th and would deffo like to meet up with you guys. pm me near the date and we can drive down, iam gonna be borrowing someones sat nav so should get there easy:thumb: