PDA

View Full Version : mk2 sr white dial clocks into mk1 standard dash?

Dave.
26-09-06, 04:17 PM
im wanting to fit a set of mk2 sr clocks (the white 1s) into mk standard mk1. not sr.
is thus possible cos its got some screw holes in it and the looms different
and i have the other loom

Ste L
26-09-06, 04:51 PM
the dials wont fit, without major chopping

Dave.
26-09-06, 07:13 PM
to the dials or to the bulkhead?

Nova Full
27-09-06, 09:38 AM
I think the wiring is slightly different aswell

Mazz
27-09-06, 10:59 AM
Just take the white dial clock's out of the mk2 dash and put them in the mk1 dash...

Adam
27-09-06, 12:26 PM
Mk2 dashes have different plug for the clocks, and the clocks themselves have a different surround with three screw holes in.

Mazz's idea sounds cool tho.

Ste L
27-09-06, 01:08 PM
the rev count of mk2 clocks wont go in the mk1 dials, a seperate connector is on the rev count of mk1 dials, mk2 its on the loom plug...

could try swapping the acctual faces though?

Adam
27-09-06, 02:02 PM
Personally i wouldn't remove the speedo needle, probably throw the speedo out of calibration.
You could just fit mk1 clocks with some white lockwood dials

hendrix
27-09-06, 03:08 PM
the rev count of mk2 clocks wont go in the mk1 dials, a seperate connector is on the rev count of mk1 dials, mk2 its on the loom plug...

could try swapping the acctual faces though?

dont think swaping the faces would work as the circuits and housing etc is different. If you mean just the actual white bit I think his clocks are the bog standard speedo, fuel guage and temp guage which means the speedo is slightly larger than the models with a rev counter
The only ways I can see it happening is:
A: If you are confident enough in chopping your speedo plug and re wiring the mk2 one on and making a wire for the rev counter (mk1's dont have them as standard, mk2's have the wire already just not a rev counter in base models).
B: Getting some GTE or SR (mk1) 6 dial clocks and getting a lockwood white dial kit and fitting a oil pressure sender and wiring up a rev counter.

Dave.
27-09-06, 03:23 PM
my mk1 has a wire behing the dash. a green 1 it was wrapped up in tape

hendrix
27-09-06, 03:27 PM
i think that be the rev counter or is it oil pressure? cant remember off hand

Dave.
27-09-06, 03:30 PM
duno theres 2
a green 1 and a yellow and blue 1

Ste L
27-09-06, 03:48 PM
dont think swaping the faces would work as the circuits and housing etc is different. If you mean just the actual white bit I think his clocks are the bog standard speedo, fuel guage and temp guage which means the speedo is slightly larger than the models with a rev counter
The only ways I can see it happening is:
A: If you are confident enough in chopping your speedo plug and re wiring the mk2 one on and making a wire for the rev counter (mk1's dont have them as standard, mk2's have the wire already just not a rev counter in base models).
B: Getting some GTE or SR (mk1) 6 dial clocks and getting a lockwood white dial kit and fitting a oil pressure sender and wiring up a rev counter.

he wanted the white ring'd dials, so my idea was to stick the 1/2 white faces on some mk1 sr/gte dials

Welsh Dan
27-09-06, 03:49 PM
green = tach, yellow/blue = oil pressure

Dave.
27-09-06, 04:27 PM
whats tach
tachograph?

Adam
27-09-06, 04:28 PM
Tachometer=Rev counter. Green wire.

Blue/Green and Blue/Yellow are oil pressure wires.