PDA

View Full Version : n00b with some Q's!

L14MNP
25-09-06, 02:26 PM
1st up, hello all! Couldn't find a 'new members post here' section so here I am LOL

Nice forum, and v v nice to see so many un-molested (read: ****ered up), clean Novas here!

I recentley bought a '91 1400 carb SR as I've always wanted a Nova :)
It had been off the road for 2 years but looked fairly solid/clean (well where i checked slight corrosion on rear arches, and front wings were wrong shade, looked like a rattle can job.

Car has had 3 previous owners, still had dealer stickers, tax disc holder, original vaux alarm, unmarked 100% standard interior, basically bog standard, just what I wanted.

So I took it for an MOT and it needed welding on N/S sill O/S/R inner arch and O/S/F inner arch, and I fitted new brakes all around then it passed. So I taxed/insured it then acquired some OEM front wings already done in SR red, (from mk2 so I was told) would do until I got new arches welded in/respray and when I removed the original wings the inner wings were shot to bits as was the front valance/headlamp surround.
So i cut all this out and welded in a replacement copy part (and 'persuaded' it to fit)

Hence the bonnet pins, the release cable was as good as snapped and I was told you can't get these anymore? Plus couldn't be bothered hacking the new slam panel up to accomodate the catch/spring etc.

Then I went to fit the front wings, which it turns out were MK1, I thought no big deal, I can just weld on the missing part (that runs under indicator and attaches to grille) from the original MK2 wings.
Wrong! A you all know, where the indicator/grille fits is completely different between MK1 and 2.

Soooo I purchased some copy part wings and after I'd attacked them with a file, dremmel and angle grinder/hammer they were some near fitting! Honestly I'd have been better trying to fit wings from my Nissan Primera LOL.
Anyway I got the wings painted and they look OK I guess, will do until I find some OEM ones.

I then stripped the interior of everything bar the front seats and dash, It was when I was removing the sound deadening that I seen the 'small' problem I'm now faced with...

The inner section of floor is missing in a large area in the passenger footwell, as is a substantial section of the outer, add to this that in the rear passenger footwell the central rubber grommet has fallen through as the floor has rotten away around it, I am not best pleased! Why this wasn't noticed on the MOT I don't know, but then again it wasn't obvious to me either...

Normally I would just scrap/break the car, but seeing as I have just spent two days a couple of months ago fitting a new front end etc. I really don't want to!

Any ideas on how to repair it? Is this a common problem? All I had heard of going on novas was the boot floor, batt tray and rear arches... It's strange because the floor and battery tray is solid.

I asked around and apparantley you can't get new footwells/copy parts? So I was going to plate up the affected areas, I assume this would have to be a fuel lines/tank off job to be done safely? Quite a hassle IMO
I then plan to cover both footwells in a large sheet of chequer plate so I can paint it all up body coloured and to the unseen eye it won't be apparent what work has been done (the drivers side is just starting to go on the inside) so I'm going to cut that out also, looks like it's been on a 2 post lifter at some point :S

Please don't tell me just to scrap as it has 10 months MOT/TAX and on top of fitting the new front, since in my ownership it has had 60mm gmax shocks/springs, 3" magnex back box, cav gsi wheels, relocated headunit/window switches (in glove box for that stripped look) lol

And I have to fit: 2 Cobra Monacos, 2 Sparco 4 points, 60mm half cage, GTE skirts, cav cesaros (maybe, im undecided) new door (hence the vinyl I applied one side only and a few other bits and pieces.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded 1st post, heres a couple pics, hope you guys can help!

Cheers, Liam

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/nova/DSC00437.jpg
The car as I got it, maybe I should have left it alone? LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/nova/DSC00310.jpg
New front end welded in

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/nova/DSC00021.jpg
W.I.P with primered copy part wings

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/nova/DSC00128.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/nova/DSC00138.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/nova/DSC00139.jpg
Missing floor on passenger side (white areas are paper on the ground)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/nova/DSC00242.jpg
Rollcage trial fitment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Con2K/nova/DSC00132.jpg
As it stands now - pretty much how I want it except for the skirts and black bumpers (oh and the new floor)

Oh BTW that *BRB CPU switched off sounds like total BS I guess , What I was meaning is that my laptop has a nasty habit of shutting down when it likes and wordpad wasn't letting me use ctrl + c or select all etc to save the start of my post, so I posted it here and thought I'll add the rest later, but then I went out LOL

Lozzie C
25-09-06, 05:15 PM
Welcome :D
Sounds like a lot of work you've been doing there then!
Get some pics up if you can...

Lauren

Lucky Luke!
25-09-06, 05:17 PM
What did the rest of the post say?

Dar
25-09-06, 05:23 PM
Thats odd, looks like he was half way through writing the post and the

*BUSY CPU decided that runtime was useful elsewhere*

L14MNP
26-09-06, 12:36 AM
Bump

burgo
26-09-06, 12:53 AM
why are you bumping it

L14MNP
26-09-06, 12:55 AM
Because I edited the post - my computer had crashed. now it makes sense... And it was also disappearing down the page before I had any replies

Matt2107
26-09-06, 09:12 AM
Looks like you've got a lot of welding to do.
It will look twice as bad when you cut out all the rusty metal too.

I hope you can weld :D

L14MNP
26-09-06, 12:21 PM
LOL just a bit dude! I'm not so phased by the welding mate, its just the fact that I will no doubt have to take the Nova off the road for a few days whilst I repair it, and this is annoying because it is my daily driver and the Nissan is the one thats off the road getting worked on as its my show car.
D'oh!
Wonder if I should PM Joff Turbo, bet he'd know what to do lol

wisewood
26-09-06, 12:47 PM
you wanna swap for a 2.0 16v corsa? lol

L14MNP
26-09-06, 12:57 PM
you wanna swap for a 2.0 16v corsa? lol

LOL guess you have a few problems too mate?

Surely not with rot that severe though? lol

wisewood
26-09-06, 01:03 PM
its an "in joke". Anyone who remembers a previous member with a similar name to yours will understand.

L14MNP
26-09-06, 01:14 PM
Ah! a joke for the 10K plus post crowd lol

name similar to mine, ******* lol.

Reminds me of the local kid that copied me by getting same car and then getting the number plate L14M HP but had the 'H' altered to resemble an 'N' as in L14M NP, I got so much **** 'cos of him turning up doing burnouts at 'cruises' etc lol

back on topic: When I repair the floor, am I right in thinking I can weld up all of the 'drain' holes? these just seem to be an inviatation for trouble! Same applies to the rubber grommetts... :thumb:

craig green
26-09-06, 01:45 PM
Yeah weld up all the drain holes etc.

tbh; Novas can rust anywhere. There are usual places to look but the bits that dont rot on early cars can be well rotten on newer ones. Its bizarre sometimes. The more you have owned the easier it is to spot the rot in future.

L14MNP
26-09-06, 01:54 PM
Cheers for the reply Craig, well i think this will be with me for a while as i did plan to put an XE/F20 in it etc

How would you tackle the floor mate? I really really need to keep it on the road for work etc, but if I remove the fuel lines (inevitable as they are right under the problem area) I will have to drop the tank also, as it will be 'open' and vapours will escape making welding a very dodgy scenario?
Also a mate of mine with a mk1 1200 merit star lol (yep it says that on the log book) says that only higher spec or later models got the sound deadening and this contributes to retaining water etc :(
This true?
Such a shame to see such cool little cars made of ****!
Wonder how much it is to have a shell galvanised lol

Yeah weld up all the drain holes etc.

tbh; Novas can rust anywhere. There are usual places to look but the bits that dont rot on early cars can be well rotten on newer ones. Its bizarre sometimes. The more you have owned the easier it is to spot the rot in future.

Matt2107
26-09-06, 03:00 PM
Check this thread for acid dipping.... the only real way to be sure of no rust.

I would have said you'd struggle to be able to do any of that welding with the tank etc in. I'm not a welder though. lol

You could always buy a really really cheap daily driver.

Lee H
26-09-06, 03:07 PM
I'd be interested in buying the Cesaro's if you decide to sell them :thumb:

L14MNP
26-09-06, 03:12 PM
I'd be interested in buying the Cesaro's if you decide to sell them :thumb:

Cool mate. you'll be the 1st to know if I do. BTW I have 5, all with centres :)

L14MNP
26-09-06, 03:14 PM
Matt2107 - I think you're right about the tank, and the Nova IS my cheap daily driver lol I paid ?120 for it
hmm maybe I should get another 17TD disastra saloon lol

Lee H
26-09-06, 03:15 PM
Cool mate. you'll be the 1st to know if I do. BTW I have 5, all with centres :)

Sounding even better. Been after some for a while now with no luck.

Ste L
26-09-06, 03:29 PM
Been after some for a while now with no luck.

i "may" be selling mine Lee, un-sure what wheels to put on the corsa, either them or the sxi one's

depending which i choose, i may sell you mine

Lee H
26-09-06, 03:31 PM
i "may" be selling mine Lee, un-sure what wheels to put on the corsa, either them or the sxi one's

depending which i choose, i may sell you mine

I think you should put the SXi ones on the Corsa :thumb: lol

Matt2107
26-09-06, 03:35 PM
Matt2107 - I think you're right about the tank, and the Nova IS my cheap daily driver lol I paid ?120 for it
hmm maybe I should get another 17TD disastra saloon lol

lol or if you know anyone that has a spare car that they are trying to sell you could always convince them that if you "borrowed" it for a week or so then they would benefit from some mobile advertising.

Ste L
26-09-06, 03:38 PM
I think you should put the SXi ones on the Corsa :thumb: lol

i knew that was coming lol

joff-turbo-nova
26-09-06, 07:35 PM
If you have access to a garage or lock up I'm sure you'd be able to do this over a weekend.

I would cut out all the rusted sections back to good metal - tack the plates in from the interior side , then push the car on its side and make sure the plates are fully seam welded onto the front chassis legs.

Basically its these legs the front lower arms swing from and if these areas flex you will get not so good handling - especially if you are going down the 20XE route.

I would then seam sealer all the welds. Hammerite to keep the tin worm out and just for good measure give it all a blast of waxoyl to be on the safe side!!

It goes without saying that the fuel lines and petrol tank will need removing and the brake lines on the passenger side will need to be moved out of the way as well.

Hope you have a decent welder as well !!!

Joff

Adam
26-09-06, 07:46 PM
its an "in joke". Anyone who remembers a previous member with a similar name to yours will understand.
ROFL

Every feature, "wanna swap mate?" lollol

Jack
26-09-06, 07:55 PM
^ Thats exactly the first thing I thought when I saw this thread lol