PDA

View Full Version : Drivers seat subframe

ste_eck
24-09-06, 09:00 PM
Hi,

1st post so take it easy on me please!

My son has bought a 1.6gsi nova which has had a full conversion from being a former 1.2. The gsi seats fit exactly to the 1.2 chassis including the rails, so Im thinking that any seat subframe from any 3 door nova will fit the gsi seat as the existing subframe recline retention lug has snapped off?

Could anyone kindly confirm the sub frames are the same on all nova's, before I make a trip to the local scrappy to obtain a replacement? Reason I ask is, if they are all the same then its just a case of finding a 3 door nova, coz it will be harder to find a gsi in a scrappy, especially 1 that still has any interior left in it!

Cheers

Ste

JSeymour
24-09-06, 09:19 PM
yes there all the same.

joff-turbo-nova
24-09-06, 09:26 PM
There are actually two types of seat mechanisms employed in nova's.

The base models got the pivot variety which basically pivot on two bars to move the seat forward and backwards, whereas the recaro style seats hook into the brackets at the rear and bolt on at the front and the movement is done via sliders built into the subframes.

Hope this helps

Joff

JSeymour
24-09-06, 09:34 PM
oops kinda thought that, you should be ok if you get them from a gsi,gte,sr or sri though.

ste_eck
24-09-06, 09:41 PM
yes there all the same.

Many thanx for the reply m8, now I can seek out a replacement with some confidence.

I got the url for this site of the side windows of my lads nova (last owner must have been a member here), I will point him here tomorrow to join as I'm sure he would like to get involved and attend your meets, etc.

We have spent a bomb on this car (around ?4k!), I fitted a smart alarm from Hawk last week only ?70 off ebay as well as a central locking kit (hawk too) for ?15, the alarm is Thatcham Cat1 Iss2 approved and operates the central locking, dead easy to fit and a really cheap price. I've just also fitted (yesterday) his multimedia headset (Alpine), Alpine 6cd MP3 changer, Planet Audio DVD player, Planet audio mid and tweeter door speakers and a couple of 165w parcel shelf speakers that I can't recall the name off the top of my head. He just needs a decent amp and sub for the boot to complete his ICE.

He has already had 3 bumps this week in his 1st week on the road, so the spray job he had done will need doing again, but will wait till he's mastered the art of driving until we throw even more cash at another respray.

I drive a v6 cougar which is ok for 150 but the nova leaves me for dust off the mark, it is quite awesome.

Thanx for the help.

Timmy
24-09-06, 09:42 PM
sorry to day but i#m almost sure that the sub frame dose not have the lug on it part of the rest of the seat, i had the asme problem with my SR seat's. i had to found replace ment seats , but i keep the sub frame so can be use on after market seat when i deside to fit some.

ste_eck
25-09-06, 04:49 PM
@Timmy:

Spot on m8, it is part of the seat I took it out today to have a proper look. I've ended up welding a m10 x 25mm bolt to a large thick washer and then welded it to the seat frame. Had to use the washer to fill the big hole that the lug had ripped out. I would have welded the lug back in but it was already missing when we bought the car. So I need a full set of seats or just the drivers if I can get a colour match, as I can't see it lasting that long.

Cheers.

Matt2107
25-09-06, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the site by the way!

draper
25-09-06, 04:58 PM
welcome to the site buddy, wish my old man was pro-nova when i started out !!

dannyb
25-09-06, 05:11 PM
welcome to the site buddy, wish my old man was pro-nova when i started out !!

I wish my old man was pro-modern cars!

Ste-Eck - If you posted a picture of the seat in the Wanted section, Im sure there is someone on here who may have, or know of a replacement!

Welcome to the Novaload by the way

Timmy
25-09-06, 07:06 PM
yeah welcome to Nl like dannyb said post in wanted some one will reply that how i got mine

ste_eck
25-09-06, 07:58 PM
I will post up a pic in the wants section tomorrow (just discovered I cant post a pic in there!), but looking at the design of these seats I reckon that they have a limited design life especially when a big 16 stone lump like my lad flops in and out of it all night long. I'm considering obtaining a couple of newer designed seats from an astra, cavalier or corsa, etc and bolting these to the existing nova subframes as I'm sure I can make them fit and would expect them to last longer.

Thanks for the warm welcome lads.