PDA

View Full Version : Leaded or Unleaded????

Anonymous
23-03-01, 02:42 PM
I posted a note on here a while a go bout me car Kangarooing. Well now its stopped Kangarooin, infact its stopped all together X-( The question I ask is, are 'E' reg 1.3SR's leaded or unleaded?

Anonymous
23-03-01, 04:22 PM
id say uleaded but when u usally use the wrong petrol and u turn ur car off it will run for abit after youve turn the key off

Anonymous
23-03-01, 04:28 PM
my sr is meant to use leaded, but i use unleaded, and havnt converted it, i know u should as it wears the exhaust valves and that, and its starting to show. but i had my carb set up so that when u turned off the key it used to carry on running for about half a minute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
23-03-01, 04:49 PM
I think from about 1984 all vauxhalls had hardened valve seats, so in theory u can run on either. With regards to running on the wrong fuel, it wont make your car stop, just pink a little, and loose performance. Its all to do with octane ratings, as unleaded cant resist detonation as well as LRP. If you intend to modify your car, then fill up on LRP and take it to a garage, or neone you know with the correct equipment, and ask them to set the timing, and check the mixture and idle. Its as simple as that. LRP is better for performance, but a bit hard on the pocket.

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
23-03-01, 04:50 PM
Ok, it should be leaded, but it makes little difference. U may need to turn ur dizzy 5' clockwise to get best performance! I wouldnt worry about it wearing ur valve seats etc. It takes ages to do that!

Anonymous
24-03-01, 12:55 AM
ALL NOVAS of ANY age can run on unleaded, with the ONLY mod being ignition re-set.

The later MKI's were pre-set to run on either leaded, or un-leaded, or any mixture of the two, and it said so in the brochures.

novaparts.....you said "my sr is meant to use leaded, but I use unleaded, and havnt converted it, i know u should as it wears the exhaust valves and that, and its starting to show"

what do you mean my starting to show? It shouldn't make any difference, as all Novas have the same alloy head.
It's usually only Cast Iron heads that have problems with un-leaded (I think!).

Anonymous
24-03-01, 01:37 AM
I will say it again, all vauxhall engines from around 1984 had hardened valve seats. Ignition timing has to be changed to suit accordingly. Before that the head suffers wear and requires additives or head work to cope with unleaded. Your 'E' reg SR would have left the factory using 4star, then when unleaded was introduced someone probably changed the ignition timing so that it could be run on unleaded. Thsts what happened to most cars of that age, but some such as metros etc didnt have the hardened valve seats to cope. Very early Novas wouldnt have had these seats either, and unless somebody paid to have the seats done, they shouldnt be run on unleaded. Most of these are dead now though!

Rich.dale you said "all Novas have the same alloy head" actually early 1.0ohv engines have cast iron heads, as do early 1.2ohv astra engines.

Anonymous
24-03-01, 08:29 AM
lol mc u tell them, but i didn't quite get that say it again, only joking

*!!i h8 speed cameras!!*

Anonymous
24-03-01, 05:08 PM
the first y reg novas cant use unleaded at all (if theres any left! i have only seen one ever)

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
24-03-01, 05:42 PM
thank u MC, rich dale, i know what im on about, as the engine from mine was bought off a bloke who had owned the car from new, and he told me it needed leaded.and as i said i dont use it and u can tell.

Anonymous
24-03-01, 06:09 PM
Unleaded was not fucking in use when the car came from the factory, so the bloke was correct about what to use, but I assure u that all vauxhalls built after 1984 have hardened valve seats, so it is safe to use unleaded, as long as u adjust the ignition timing to suit. Trust me I`ve been working on, tuning and modifying Vauxhalls for 7 years. As to "and u can tell" of course ure engine aint lovin life, its 13 or 14 years old! If u want, I`ll skan some articles in and send em to ya!

Anonymous
24-03-01, 06:51 PM
ok...I didn't include the 1.0...but that's not a real Nova lol, only joking.
I stand corrected ;) I should have said all the 1.2 and 1.3 Nova's can run on un-leaded, but you say this isn't true.
The 1.2 and 1.3's all have the alloy head, so I'm surprised that even the oldest ones can't use un-leaded...but I'll trust what you say.

Anyway, if you do have one of the very oldest ones, just get a newer head, and that sorts it....though my 83 A-reg was un-leaded.
I don't know what date they swapped over to the head with hardened seats, but my old Nova only just missed out on being a Y-reg, as it was registered on August 1st 83. A day earlier, and it would have been a Y-reg.
It's hard to tell if it did it any good though, as it was blowing smoke like a very flammable thing on fire, as it was!
Perhaps I shouldn't have used un-leaded then?

Anonymous
24-03-01, 07:12 PM
Erm, that was actually me that said that, not my missus, doh!

Anonymous
25-03-01, 11:58 AM
I've remembered!

OK, I've remembered this fact:

Check on your engine block identification number. If it has a star, is CAN run on un-leaded. A typical number would be 12ST*19003415 see Haynes Manual 13.12
My A-reg Nova did have the * so I was ok using unleaded after all. I can't believe I'd forgotten that!

Anonymous
26-03-01, 09:36 AM
a * before the engine number = hardened seats.... simple

--- Novaload technical support open 24hrs ---
--- Phone/SMS Support 24hrs ---
--- Workshop services 6pm - 11pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 11pm Sat/Sun ---

Anonymous
26-03-01, 12:05 PM
I just changed the fuel tank cus there was s.h.i.t.e. coming thru the tank. Chnaged the tank and fuel filter. Problem sovled. The car does run on unleaded fine!! Thanx for trying to help guys!!!