PDA

View Full Version : alternator

chimp007_uk
21-09-06, 12:52 PM
right...

i'm going to be road rallying my nova gte this winter, and have purchased a pair for 9" driving lamps, going to be running 100w bulbs and 100w/80w head light bulbs (only when rallying). i have found an alternator from a vectra v6 rated at 120amps...

can it be fitted? and will i need to fit a bigger battery?

here's a pic http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/63/bd/eb_1.JPG

cheers guys

craig green
21-09-06, 01:01 PM
I expect it will fit. I'd suggest a big battery too. Biggest I could get in my battery tray was 65amp IIRC. Dont forget to use some pukka fat cable.

chimp007_uk
21-09-06, 01:32 PM
i've got some cable which i got from an electrical engineering company where i was working over the summer... :) 150 amp rating. will it cause the standard battery problems?

tinyrally1
21-09-06, 07:00 PM
i would probably recommend about 16mm cable from battery to kill switch. hen probably a 4mm thin wall wire would be fine for the spotlight. anything else such as map reading lights would be fine using 2 or 3 mm wire. Also while you are about it, it wouldnd hurt to put some extra earthing wires on. I put a new one from the gearbox to body, and another one from the alternator mount to strut top, probably wouldnt make any difference, but god forbid if you caught the gearbox one on a branch or a stone flicked up, youre engine will still run cos of the extra one.

chimp007_uk
21-09-06, 08:38 PM
thanks for that. i used 16mm cable for the kill switch, and ran a new earth from the battery. with regards the kill switch, i've only run mine from the bat at the mo, do i need to run the bat and alternator in parralell to cut both?

got some 6mm cable for the spotlights :) will the bat be ok with a 120amp altenator and will the vectra v6 alternator fit?

cheers tinyrally1

tinyrally1
22-09-06, 07:51 AM
Yeah the 6mm should be ok, anything smaller than 4mm and you are pushing it. The 16mm wire should go straight from the battery to the kill switch, so god forbit if you did crash, when you turned off the killswitch, everything would be turned off. from the kill switch should be a feed to the starter button and the fuse box.

tinyrally1
22-09-06, 07:53 AM
oh yeah i would have thought the alternator would fit, but dont quote me on that. just to be on the safe side, try to get on e from a donor car a similar age to the Nova