PDA

View Full Version : thoughts and advice on a turbo 2.0 8 valve

shy witness
18-09-06, 11:06 PM
i was just lookig some information on coverting a 2.0 sri cav engine 2 a turbo...

my mate bought a mk 3 astra there with a conversion in it and he says it goes really well(i should get a run in it before the weekend here)

what alls involved in doing this........is it expensive??????

what driveshafts would i need?

wot about the exhaust manifold....................and what other parts are need

i can do all the work myself .so there will b no labour charges ha ha

the thing is i've got the sri 8v cavalier already and am planning 2 drive it until the mot runs out in february.......then the plan is to put it in 1 of the nova's along with the brakes and all that......

any information would b greatly appreciated............and advice (do's and dont's)

Nick
18-09-06, 11:43 PM
basics

You'l have to Aquire some Form of Exhaust manifold With a Flange for the Turbo.

Then internally, you'l have to lower the Comp Ratio. i.e a big Thick Spacer plate (head gasket) or pocketed pistons if you've got some cash.

Presume you can run it on Nova 22 Spline shafts with cav 1600 inners

Then fuelling... Managment !?

it wont be the most straight-forwards of jobs - And probably wont be terribly reliable ! Might be easier and cheaper to source a LET and slap it in.

ste porter
19-09-06, 12:41 AM
http://www.mvaux.com/

all info and kits for sale in there mate

Nick
19-09-06, 12:44 AM
^ or just get one of those lol !

Hasn't baxter just used one of these kits on a 1.6 16v ?

burgo
19-09-06, 04:04 AM
you can use calibra/cavlier turbo bottom end to sort the compression ratio

total_vauxhall
19-09-06, 08:24 AM
you can use calibra/cavlier turbo bottom end to sort the compression ratiobut then ya mayaswell just build a let

burgo
19-09-06, 11:59 AM
but then ya mayaswell just build a letif your thinking like that then you may aswell build a let anyway as thee will be bugger all cost difference and therefore make sence to use a let in the first place

cornish
19-09-06, 12:00 PM
Just putting one of these together myself and its a good experience if your looking to learn.

I purchased a cheap kit which i believe was originally a Turbo Technics conversion for a 1.8 8V and gone from there with it. Didn't bother lowering the compression - just bolted the lot onto a 140k mile 2L 8V and it lasted suprisingly long running approx. 7-8psi. Have now purchased a LET bottom which i'm in the process of rebuilding with a few tweeks. There's lots of info around on the 'net - try PM'ing Stefan on Mig as he is very knowledgable on this subject.

IMO the mvaux kits are good value for money but are not without there problems, worth looking on Mig through the Projects & Resto' forum as people have posted there experiences with the kits.

Worth remembering that you can purchase individual items from the mvaux kit as in some cases (braided oil hoses etc...) can be bought cheaper over here if your working to a budget. The turbos mattheus supplies are very good though, made by a company call 'Turbo Master' i think, and available alot cheaper than you can buy over here. I've gone for a T3 with 60 trim compressor and 0.63A/R turbine which should be good for 300-340hp when mapped correctly. E-mail mattheus if need be as he is very helpful and if you give him your requirements he will spec a kit to suit.

Regarding fuelling, Mattheus supplies the 2 stage AFPR which he believes is adequate. I have not tried this personally so cannot really comment. I have gone fully mappable which i think although not the cheapest option is perhaps the wisest. It's worth investing in a good wideband air/fuel ration meter as it could save your engine...

HTH.

craig green
19-09-06, 12:51 PM
I wanted to build a 2.0 8v turbo using the mvaux kits.

2 things put me off & led me to decide another option.

1. The 8v is a touch dated & will definately require a full & expensive rebuild if it is to last & produce high power.

2. A 2.0 ecotec XEV actually has a far better flowing head in terms of air volume & so the 16v is capable of more power ultimately.

So the 16v is a better engine for this purpose & almost as cheap or readily available.
This has lead to the decision to turbo a C16XE as again the head is capable of flowing more than enough air & also doesnt require shafts & box swaps etc.

Just my views on the subject but I have researched it. I am very fond of the old 8v OHCs & would love to do it again, they respond so well to forced induction. The 2.0 also takes the LET pistons so internal de-compressing is easy. If that isnt enough the Isaachunt Nova was a 2.0 8v & ran 10sec quarters (with NOS).

Look up Screamer69 on MIG for a converted 2.0 8v...

cornish
19-09-06, 01:44 PM
Have you bought one of the mvaux kits Craig?

craig green
19-09-06, 02:27 PM
No not as yet mate. Need to get the car up & running first & I'll then be looking into getting all the bits together for the management, intercooler & pipework etc then I'll order up the kit & pistons from Brazil. I'd really like to get billet rods so I know its bombproof.

shy witness
20-09-06, 08:06 AM
thanx for the replies folks.........some nice information there

has anyone any pictures of these conversions being done??(i dont use mig web)

i'd be looking to do it as cheap as possible..........as funds are low....and i already have the 8 valve engine

l.e.t's seem to b making silly money these days.............even a standard red top xe will change hands for arround ?600 here in northern ireland from what i've seen..

is that kit there ot everything needed...........and waht about the compression lowering?? i dont see trhat mentioned(although its early in the morning)

and is that a decent turbo that will last........and what way does that mangement system work...as it doesnt seem 2 exspensive(is it very basic?)

thanx again for the replies

Stuart
20-09-06, 10:01 AM
erm i would have suggested matheaus on mig, but he seems to be a bad supplier now.....

eg mvaux .. AVOID for the time being.

craig green
20-09-06, 01:22 PM
erm i would have suggested matheaus on mig, but he seems to be a bad supplier now.....

eg mvaux .. AVOID for the time being.

WTF? whys that? someone not happy then?

Stuart
20-09-06, 02:51 PM
look on mig for F28 uprated clutch group buy. Or look at Matheaus's i trader rating and see the links...

Adam
20-09-06, 02:54 PM
WTF? whys that? someone not happy then? SOMEONE?
Most of mig aren't happy, and Mattheus appears to be not replying. Clutches being no good, turbo manifolds not being flat, Verniers not fitting right etc etc.

shy witness
20-09-06, 10:21 PM
yikes......thats not what i like to hear at all

i'm still interested in doing this though

would i need an intercooler aswell.....would that b advisable???

and what about a dump valve ha ha??

Stuart
21-09-06, 08:15 AM
IC or CC is vital.

i see, you only want a turbo for the dump valve....

shy witness
21-09-06, 07:04 PM
oh no.......certainly not

i just like to be different if i'm honest.....and thought i'd maybe go down a different route than the usual 'redtop' transplant

i dont mind a bit of extra work and pissing about ..if the rewards are good enough

its all 2 gain a bit of experience i guess

its not that hard 2 just put a redtop in ........as theres plenty round here in corsa'a and novas

it would b nice 2 have something that a wee bit more effort woz put into.....and looked a bit different when you open your bonnet

but i'd still like a nice dumpvalve ha ha

Stuart
21-09-06, 08:26 PM
ENGLISH :p

shy witness
21-09-06, 08:56 PM
sorry excuse the '5' times that i used a shortened 'text ' version of a word

oh dear

thankyou for the replies i have recieved

Stuart
21-09-06, 09:05 PM
lol dont get moody, its in the rules :p lol