PDA

View Full Version : 4 Point harnesses and MOT's

novahaulin'
18-09-06, 06:36 PM
Ive been told that there is only a certain type of harness that can be installed to a car so it will still pass its MOT. eg. bolted directly to a mounting point and have a proper seatbelt catch on it and that you cant have the eyelet mounts with clips on the belts or the circular catch. can anyone shed any light on this as my source of information is very unreliable to say the best.lol

Adam
18-09-06, 06:37 PM
Proper clips bolted to the floor with the harnesses on should be fine.

I've heard that only proper seatbelt type fasterners are road legal, all Aircraft style buckles are illegal on the road.

novahaulin'
18-09-06, 06:46 PM
That should make it abit easier to choose. i dont see why though, id have more faith in aircraft safety systems than a normal seatbelt.

Adam
18-09-06, 06:59 PM
I think its something to do with emergency services not knowing how to undo them, say if the car was on its roof in a ditch or something and they needed to get you out.

Whereas if ever buckle works the same, no probs.

tom_beverley
18-09-06, 07:28 PM
My 4 points have normal buckles and are secured around the rear strut brace and it was fine for MOT. :thumb:

andymac
18-09-06, 07:41 PM
I think its something to do with emergency services not knowing how to undo them, say if the car was on its roof in a ditch or something and they needed to get you out.

Whereas if ever buckle works the same, no probs.

i have aircraft buckle ones in my car and passes no problem they are easier to undo than normal ones just one button and they split so cant see that but i may be wronglol

Adam
19-09-06, 12:22 AM
Thats what a coppa told me, when i was a in a passenger seat, with buckets and aircraft buckle harnesses.

Road Legal and MOT rules are two different things tho ;)

loggyboy
19-09-06, 12:23 PM
But what coppers say and what the law is, is also 2 different things.