PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler sizes and lag...

Rob77
18-09-06, 03:42 PM
I just wondered if running a bigger fmic on a LET would result in more lag?

My reasoning is that the larger ic has more volume, meaning it would take longer to build up air pressure... I may be totally wrong though!

Anybody offer any advice?

What sort of size coolers do people run in Novas with LETs?

Thanks guys,

Rob.

Philsutton
18-09-06, 04:35 PM
Alright rob, most people use the frontera one as do I. This is more than up to the job unless your running stupid power. Lag wise I wouldnt have thought you'd notice any unless you did go a really large one an i mean stupidly big. But yes if it has a larger capacity then it will take longer to build up the pressure.

Also imo the frontera one fits quite nicely without to much having to be cut out, redirected.

Rob77
18-09-06, 04:36 PM
Awesome, nice one Phil.

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the Frontera cooler?

Philsutton
18-09-06, 05:10 PM
i did as i measured it up for someone else but i dont know what ive done with it now

Rob77
18-09-06, 05:12 PM
Well if you find the measurements let me know!

Thanks,

Rob.

Rob77
19-09-06, 12:42 AM
Anybody know the inlet / outlet diameter of the frontera ic?

Stuart
19-09-06, 08:31 AM
imho with a nova bay so "small" id bung in a decent charge cooler..... you can then have a shorter inlet tract, better cooling, less disturbance to air flow into the main rad/rest of bay etc.

Jack
19-09-06, 09:03 AM
Charge coolers are also more efficient than intercoolers as well iirc...

Would a charge cooler fit under the Nova bonnet with the LET engine in there though? Would ideally need a vent too.

Breeny
19-09-06, 11:23 AM
Yes lol
http://www.breeny.co.uk/mycurrentnova/photos/photo3.jpg

I ditched it though as I found it very good for 1/4 mile's etc but after driving for any longish amount of time, the water being pumped around wasn't actually that cool.

Stuart
19-09-06, 11:35 AM
breeny, yours cant have been setup that well then........ a decent CC will be much much coler than the rest of the bay if the cooler rad is in the right palce/the right size etc.

Jack, did you not look in Dave Marshalls engine bay at the Chelt meet? lol similar position to breenys one but a bit different.

i got an article from someone about CC's and IC's inc their differences etc.

Jack
19-09-06, 12:38 PM
Jack, did you not look in Dave Marshalls engine bay at the Chelt meet? lol similar position to breenys one but a bit different.
I was probably too busy going "ooooo" and looking impressed lol

The article about CCs and ICs would be interesting...

NickWalliams
19-09-06, 03:24 PM
Breeny why does your induction cone stick up like that? have you modded the inlet on the turbo? If so would like some gen please:)

craig green
19-09-06, 04:21 PM
Breeny's CC is probably an old Courtenay one which is a twin core. The newer ones are triple cored.

Nick;
I think the intlet from the turbo has been cut off & welded on at a different angle so the inlet pipe runs out under the wheelarch & the AFM & cone sit up through a hole cut into the inner wing. Basically for easier routing of the AFM to turbo pipe

Breeny
20-09-06, 01:56 PM
Yup mine was an old twin core one.

And Craig is correct again.. the very old Courtenay way of doing things. The inlet runs through the inner arch and up through a hole made in the inner wing.