PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrade

Anonymous
19-03-01, 07:36 PM
Hi, I've just fitted new discs and calipers to my car, the PMC big disc upgrade, 256mm vented, drilled and grooved. This I'm sure would work fine but I have now and always have had (even on previous brakes) had a lot of play in the pedal, it seems to do nothing for around the first 40-50% of the pedal press. We've got all of the air out but there's still some sort of problem and I'm lost - anyone help... please?

Anonymous
19-03-01, 07:42 PM
check your servo

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
19-03-01, 08:49 PM
i put astra gsi's on mine and i had loads of play put a new mastercyliunder on did jack shit so i got a servo of a gsi now there mint the servo is bigger so more pressure can be applied

Anonymous
19-03-01, 09:37 PM
Get a Haynes manual and go thru' the brake trouble shooting bit for checking the servo out. Otherwise it could be shit in the lines or worn out flexible piping that go into the calipers. You could try fitting performance braided ones. Nova brakes are generally shit so don't expect them to suddenly become really firm and sharp as they probably won't:(

Anonymous
19-03-01, 10:10 PM
try adjusting your handbrake or change ur rear brake shoes

Anonymous
20-03-01, 08:33 AM
Aha! I had the same problem, it could be the same. Mine was a worn or badly adjusted brake linkage you may just need to take the slack out. Get on the floor hold on to the brake pedal with one hand and move it up and down, with the other hand you can feel where the brake linkage passes through the bulkhead (behind the glove box. When you start to move the pedal it shoud have a small amount of play before it starts to move the servo, (I bet there is loads of play). You can adjust this play out at the pedal by flicking the return spring off the pivot pin, pushing the pivot pin out, undo the lock nut, you can now turn the link bar on a thread to adjust the play out. DON'T over do it though I did and it caused the brakes to bind, Like driving around with your foot on the pedal. I would recomend this to any Nova owner reading this, it improves the brake pedal feel no end nice and solid from the start. If its not this it must be air (try again).:)

I'm not all there, Theres something missing, I'm not all there.