PDA

View Full Version : Best way-Bedding in brakes

Adam
16-09-06, 10:14 PM
As above.
Got a warped disc or two on mine,Lol, i bedded them in by doing a few 50mph-10mph runs, increasing braking pressure each time, and stopping the car from 5mph with the handbrake, to stop leaving deposits on the discs from the hot pads.

But the discs are very slightly warped now, make like a whistling/squeek, and have like a "tight" spot where the pads are gripping the disc slightly when you spin the wheel.

I've got a new set of pads/discs to fit, and i'll re-bleed the system with eezi-bleed.

Any gen for best bedding in procedure? :)

chris82a
16-09-06, 10:29 PM
just drive normally and they will bed in fine imo

Nick
16-09-06, 11:34 PM
Yep, just drive normally and they'l bed in whilst driving !

Adam
17-09-06, 12:09 AM
KK, lets see what luck i have with these ones :) Lol

draper
17-09-06, 02:56 AM
motorway, 110mph, emergency stop !!!!!

Stuart
17-09-06, 07:28 AM
drive normally being a little girly with the brakes, but do a few high speed stops with constant braking force....

ive managed to bed a set of god awfull pads in to perform similarly to ebc greenstuffs..... that or the greens were genuinely crap lol

Philsutton
17-09-06, 11:29 AM
i did mine on track got them glowing. They still work fine now. I always drive around with on full whilst fully on the throttle lol, cant beat setting them on fire, never managed to warp anything yet doing that.

Adam
17-09-06, 12:05 PM
i did mine on track got them glowing. They still work fine now. I always drive around with on full whilst fully on the throttle lol, cant beat setting them on fire, never managed to warp anything yet doing that.
And i fooked my discs driving on the road! :eek: Lol

Perhaps mine were cheap discs.

Lee
17-09-06, 01:04 PM
drive normally being a little girly with the brakes, but do a few high speed stops with constant braking force....

ive managed to bed a set of god awfull pads in to perform similarly to ebc greenstuffs..... that or the greens were genuinely crap lol

If they perform like greens, you must have bedded them in wrong. I rekon i could make a set of pads out of a cornflakes box and make them work better than them buggers lol

mowgli
17-09-06, 01:18 PM
ok, having worked in a commercial brake workshop, the considered opinion is.
1. simply drive like a vicar for about 100 miles (round town not up the m1)
2. do not attempt to 'burn them in' all this does is shorten the brake life & cook the resin out of the pads making them worse than the old ones.
3. buy decent discs & pads, there is some rubbish out there.
4. if you are still using original nova calipers, make sure the sliders actually work.

Adam
17-09-06, 02:40 PM
Im using ATE 16v brakes.

I might take the "drive like a vicar option"
See how that goes,Lol.

I've got a set of Ferodo pads, and i can't remember what the discs are, there in my loft,Lol. Think there just standard QH.

loggyboy
17-09-06, 04:35 PM
I have the same problem bedding in brakes as most of my gentle braking is done by the engine thru habbit, so i tend to find i really have to force myself to brake prgressively and early so as not to cook them after a week.

Jack
17-09-06, 11:08 PM
Instructions on my TRD brakes said to do a couple batches of 8-10 stops from 60mph down to 5mph (i.e. not stopping, speeding up again for the next stop), braking harder each time; there was a slight blueish tint on the brakes and smell from the pads which was expected (as per the instructions). They've now been on for about 2-3k and no problems.

Adam
17-09-06, 11:17 PM
Yeah, thats what i did on my old brakes.

Might just try that with the new ones, f**k it,Lol.

Martin
18-09-06, 11:18 AM
i did mine on track got them glowing.

Get some pics :D :thumb: