PDA

View Full Version : c20xe to c20let nova

doug_sri
16-09-06, 10:05 PM
Recentally got myself a very very cheap mechanically sound 1994 4x4 calibra turbo so looking to stick the engine in my c20xe nova. I know quite a bit about the c2oxe conversions but really nothing about the c20let. I have some questions and anything else you think I should know let me know, cheers.
What radiator should I use? Currently 1.6 GTE/GSI rad
What header tank? Currently standard one
What intercooler? Will calibra one fit in somewhere?
Will the turbo front brakes clear 15" comp mo's? Currently cav gsi ones
Engine loom, is it much different to connect and can I use c20xe coil?
Gearbox?, F28 seems good but currently running F16 with quaife atb

Sure i will think of a few more things but thats it for now.

doug_sri
16-09-06, 10:37 PM
Also whats the actual differences in the engines apart from the obvious things?

chris82a
16-09-06, 10:47 PM
Just done the same conversion was easy enough and i fitted the f28

You can use standard rad just need to move it forward and get a slim fan for it.

Use standard header tank but you will need to T into the pipe that goes from the tank to the top corner of the rad. not sure on the other as i upgraded to a T34 that is not water cooled

Try and source a fronera intercooler as it fits very well. Make sure you get the correct 1 as there are a few think its a 2.3 of top of my head

Your breakes will fit

Engine loom is easy

thick red - battery, thin black - igntion switched feed, thick red/blue - fuel pump, brown/yellow - ecu light.

Use the let coil if you've got it

Imo use the F28 box the other will ony break in good time

chris82a
16-09-06, 10:49 PM
Also whats the actual differences in the engines apart from the obvious things?

compression ratio (pistons)

oil return in the block

Cams

Etc etc

General Baxter
16-09-06, 11:01 PM
oil spray jets

chris82a
16-09-06, 11:04 PM
oil spray jets

not as standard they dont

loggyboy
16-09-06, 11:17 PM
Will the turbo front brakes clear 15" comp mo's?
Yes - Just ;)
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/breezer/Brakes/288UnderMO.jpg

as for the LET you need to mod the slam panel to fit the hose in. and if you want to fit an IC easlily the front chassis frame may need spaceframing.

ie:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/dan16v/821a5fe6.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/J60OST/DSCN1984_JPG.jpg

R1CH
17-09-06, 01:13 AM
Just finished mine the other month ...

What radiator should I use? Currently 1.6 GTE/GSI rad,
Yeah GSi / GTE rad is fine but you've gotta move it forward & make it more central.
What header tank? Currently standard one, Standard one id fine, as said you've gotta use a T piece like on the XE.
What intercooler? Will calibra one fit in somewhere? Best bet IMO is to use a 2.8 Frontera intercooler, fits really well, you've gotta chop & weld a recess into the front cross member for it to sit on to get it to fit behind a GSi bumper.
Will the turbo front brakes clear 15" comp mo's? Currently cav gsi ones ? I'm using the Cally T brakes, they fit under 15" Pro Race 1.2s so MO's won't be a problem.
Engine loom, is it much different to connect ? Pretty much the same, if u managed wiring up the XE then an LET wont be a problem.
Can I use c20xe coil? XE & LET coils are the same.
Gearbox?, F28 seems good but currently running F16 with quaife atb, Deffo go for an F28 bit more work to get it fitted but will last a lot longer than your F16 !!

Other things that you'll need to sort if running an F28 are ... lowereing the tie bars & brackets, shortening the gear linkage, Make / buy the mounts.

Good luck !!

Rich

Philsutton
17-09-06, 11:34 AM
The diff out the F16 will fit in the F28, well be it with a little machining. I have a F20 ATB in my F28. Like said above the same rad will be fine, dont use the standard intercooler because its ****e, the fountera one is god for the money you can get them for.

For the header tank I always use the cav one which has to small outlets on top for the xe's/let's

doug_sri
18-09-06, 12:27 AM
do i need to use the cylinder shaped thing located in the drivers side wing of the calibra? Its got a pipe that goes under the car, a vent pipe i think and a pipe that goes to something else on the passenger side of the inlet manifold. started stripping the car today. Also on the calibra turbo there is three large gromits in the bulkhead, drivers side, middle and passenger side. I know what the drivers side is as its the ecu and that but what it connected to the
middle and passengers side (passengerside has abs sensors i think and fan switch as well as alot of other things)

doug_sri
04-10-06, 10:59 PM
The diff out the F16 will fit in the F28, well be it with a little machining. I have a F20 ATB in my F28. Like said above the same rad will be fine, dont use the standard intercooler because its ****e, the fountera one is god for the money you can get them for.

For the header tank I always use the cav one which has to small outlets on top for the xe's/let's

got my turbo engine out and starting to sort things out with it. When you said the quaiffe atb will fit with a little machining, what do you mean machining? The box or the diff, if the box then what part.