PDA

View Full Version : drive shafts

novaspin
16-09-06, 09:19 PM
i have a 2.0ltr 16v redtop, (finally) i have had it less than a week and sheared a drive shaft. where do i get a new one? and would anyone know why it would of done it? cheers :(

cockney16v
16-09-06, 10:04 PM
what gearbox have you got bolted up and did you you uprated drive shafts

chris82a
16-09-06, 10:54 PM
You might have had tappered shafts they seem to sheer quite often you can use gsi shafts with cav inner cvs and nove outers or do it properly and buy the m-tec kit

loggyboy
16-09-06, 11:22 PM
Ive never known any1 to sheer a standard 22 spline gte shaft with an standard/average powered XE. So stick to them with matching Nova outer CVs and mk2 Cav 1.6 inner CVs. Not saying it can be done, but upgrading to the expensive kits seems pointless unless you running lots of horses.

novaspin
17-09-06, 10:44 AM
im runnin 174 bhp but i wasnt goin quik either, i was in traffic. pullin away n then it revved up and not goin anywhere. :( wud standard drive shafts still run that power?

Philsutton
17-09-06, 11:27 AM
Ive never known any1 to sheer a standard 22 spline gte shaft with an standard/average powered XE. So stick to them with matching Nova outer CVs and mk2 Cav 1.6 inner CVs. Not saying it can be done, but upgrading to the expensive kits seems pointless unless you running lots of horses.

youve clearly not met me then, ive broken a few including a pair of supposedly unbreakable ones which i did in under 5 mins of driving the car. All on a standard engine at the time as well.

loggyboy
17-09-06, 04:29 PM
well if you can break unbreakable ones then you obvioulsy need better clutch control :P lol

novaspin
17-09-06, 10:50 PM
lol does it take alot to break them? i decided to trake car of the road now to do everything i want done before the drag season starts nxt yr. i really hope i can run near 11 secs but i think thats pushin it a bit :S

Philsutton
18-09-06, 11:52 AM
to run an 11s your going to need in about 400bhp, i.e a lot of nitrous. Standard xe will run around mid 14s

DIY*VALVER84
18-09-06, 02:34 PM
i spooned a shaft on a standard 16v too,you dont have to be going fast to do it either,lets face it modding shafts isnt a great idea and you are better off buying the uprated ones even if its just for piece of mind.

novaspin
18-09-06, 08:01 PM
so how much are new uprated ones and where do i get them? need car asap, there are little boyracers i need to wave at. lol