PDA

View Full Version : High Revs

Anonymous
18-03-01, 09:45 PM
I was coming up the M40 thisafternoon, when all of a sudden my car died on me. It did a huge back fire and then just stopped. I tried to start it again, it would turn over, but not fire. I checked all the plugs, leads, and made sure the injectors were not twisted/caught. But still no joy. About half an hour later it just started again. Going along for another hour or so, then thesame again. This time it started after about 20 mins. I went at 45mph for the rest of the journey @ about 3500rpm and it was fine. When i got to my street i gave it some welly. Got to about 4700rpm and then it just conked out on me again! I pulled up on the sise of the road and that is where it is now. Its been 2 hours since and it still wont start! X-( PLEASE HELP, What could it be?? :-/

B-) When you become a Taxi driver, is it compulsary to have a lobotomy?

[pug_dog]

Anonymous
18-03-01, 11:49 PM
has it been raining? I had similar problems when I thrashed it in the wet, but it was o.k. if drove sensibly. I`ve used damp start on all of my connections and leads and its alright now.

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
19-03-01, 05:32 PM
i ad the exactly the same prob a loud back fire then it just died it was the coil then it started to do a similar thing after i fitted the coil then when i though i fixed it it startin doin the same just diein on me but no back firin then it just died i found out it was me dizzy, if it backfired then started diein on ya id say its defo the coil or if its not that the dizzy unit oh shit i dont think injections av dizzys id say ur coil then mate

Anonymous
19-03-01, 07:09 PM
Possibly your ecu, when they`re starting to fuck up you`ll get faults like that, try fitting somone else`s and go for another thrash ;)

Anonymous
19-03-01, 07:43 PM
corse injections have dizzy caps

Anonymous
19-03-01, 08:43 PM
Only just put the new ECU in. Sprayed WD40 on everything. It started last night at about 22:45 i gave it a dam good thrashing and it was fine. i changed the leads thismorning, gave it a thrashing into town then on the way back it conked again. i just put my foot down in 1'st... and it just stoped. The engine still is going but its not firing. After about 20 mis it started going again. Then just round the corner from my house it stopped, but luckily i rolled all the way home. I took of the dizzy cap, looks fine, changed the plugs checked the fuel lines. Like a wazzack, i put the HT leads on to the cap the worng way, after about a minute of turning it over BANG! So loud it made the picture fall of the wall in my house! Put them on the proper way and now its seems O.K. (firs sounded like it was running on 3) But i dont want to go any where incase it happens again! I have had to use my mums Fiesta Zetec!!!! :( X-(
My dad recons it was running on 2 and now it should be O.K as i have changed everything! Would it run on 2?

[pug_dog]

Anonymous
19-03-01, 10:04 PM
Change the dizzy - sounds like HT insulation is breaking down. Could be triggered by getting hot and expanding. You can't necessarily tell by looking if it is knackered.

Anonymous
19-03-01, 10:37 PM
One of the leads was getting considerably hotter than the others. Its quite hard to change the dizzy isnt it?

[pug_dog]

Anonymous
20-03-01, 08:15 AM
I think he means the Dizzy cap, I would change the rotor arm aswell. It sounds like the spark is going astray somewhere before or in the dizzy. Iv'e had a knakered rotor arm where the spark was jumping from the centre contact throgh the plastic to the end of the camshaft, could be damp causing the spark to jump about randomly in the dizzy.

I'm not all there, Theres something missing, I'm not all there.

Anonymous
20-03-01, 06:34 PM
My GTE,s dizzy had damp in it, it didnt`t tick over propperly but after 2500 revs you couldn`t notice it. Possibly a fueling fault, the pumps under the car so the connectors could be just about fucked, or the realay`s on it`s way out. If the pump stops even for a short while the fuel pressure won`t be high enough to inject into the cylinders. Check the live and ground in the pump when it happens again to rule out the relay and wiring.

Anonymous
20-03-01, 07:31 PM
Right the foookin things stoped workin again! This is really rajin me off now. It worked fin all the way to my missus house. When i got to her street oi put my foot down just to see. It stopped! When i turned the ignition on i could hear the little noise the injectors (?) make, and it was also making another noise, a gargling noise jsut for a second. The enjine would turn over not not fire. How do i check if fuel is getting into the engine o.k? & by the way, i have recently changed the dizzy cap + rotor arm and they are both dry as a bone.

[pug_dog]

Anonymous
26-03-01, 01:25 PM
I'd have a go at changing fuel lines & filters.

dan69_gsi@hotmail.com :p

DANGSI@NOVALOAD.ORG.UK