PDA

View Full Version : Grille Needed For MOT?

Nova_Houch7
16-09-06, 02:48 PM
Hi there, might sound stupid but is a Grille needed for an MOT lol?

L

Wilson
16-09-06, 02:54 PM
I would assume it is as they might class the front end as being dangerous (as in hit a person dangerous) the same as wheel arches etc. im not 100% sure though

lj
16-09-06, 03:03 PM
as along as theres no sharpe edges should be ok

JSeymour
16-09-06, 03:15 PM
it wont fail because of it but the car might look less looked after(if ya catch my drift)

Ash
16-09-06, 04:38 PM
i got a fibreglass mk1 grill if you want it - PM me.

A

JJL
16-09-06, 05:57 PM
iv just got my mot with no grill or bumper wont fail mate

matt1chelski
16-09-06, 09:49 PM
iv just got my mot with no grill or bumper wont fail mate

:eek: , isnt there sharp edges where the bumper bolts on?!

Saloony
16-09-06, 10:51 PM
Wont fail as the sharp edges if it has any, which i doubt it has, wont fail as its not caused by damage or corrosion.

loggyboy
16-09-06, 11:04 PM
:eek: , isnt there sharp edges where the bumper bolts on?!
Nope the bumper brackets are slotted inside the inner wings so arent exposed at all.

Adam
17-09-06, 12:08 AM
It passed without a bumper? WTF

Seems a bit strange, i know if i was unlucky enough to get hit by a car i'd rather hit a bumper than a steel crossmember/bumper bar,Lol.

Philsutton
17-09-06, 11:51 AM
you dont actullay need doors an tailgate on the car for an mot, it isnt in the mot book. But something makes me think if i took all the panels off my car the police would have a field day regardless of legal or not.

Saloony
17-09-06, 05:24 PM
Yeah mot requirements and raod legal are two completely different things. Also for the mot you can do away with all lights as long as you ditch the switches and wires too.

matt1chelski
17-09-06, 09:18 PM
Yeah mot requirements and raod legal are two completely different things. Also for the mot you can do away with all lights as long as you ditch the switches and wires too.

"daytime" MOT maybe? lol

Saloony
18-09-06, 01:29 PM
Yep.

Jack
18-09-06, 01:52 PM
Thats true. The manual states under Headlamps:

This inspection does not apply to: Vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are not fitted with front or rear position lamps, etc

...and then also:

Stop lamps are not a legal requirement if the vehicle is not fitted with any front or rear position lamps etc
Rear reflectors are not required by regulations if the vehicle is not fitted with any front or rear position lamps etc
Direction indicators and hazard warning devices are not required by regulations on vehicles not fitted with any front or rear position lamps

I'd assume if this was on a road car you'd need to prove it was for daytime use only though. Having said that, a local guy with a 200SX has headlight protectors which he's painted black and uses them during the day with no problems, just removes them at night.

Saloony
18-09-06, 08:06 PM
I know one case of a motorbike being pulled for having no lights on. After a lenghty arguement with the old bill at the road side they called vosa out with there manuals and told them it was fine. But then cos time had gone by for so long it was dark and he had to leave the bike at the road side.

Nova_Houch7
18-09-06, 10:51 PM
Well guys im ganna get one on, just incase they decide to fail me for it lol.

L

Saloony
19-09-06, 01:42 PM
They wont and they cant.