PDA

View Full Version : HELP! siezed brakes

Lucky Luke!
15-09-06, 09:35 PM
Bacsically my car has been sat a while so i thought i'd do the brakes, new discs pads.

One problem though, the floating callipers! the little slide arms, or pistons has seized solid!!!

I have tried everything to move them and they won't budge.

Does anyone know if you can get the new pistons/arms and how to fit them?

As many replies as possible cos i'm properly screwed!

chimp007_uk
15-09-06, 09:54 PM
wd-sorty? lol

Lucky Luke!
15-09-06, 09:57 PM
No way!

After a google i think you can get a caliper repair kit. Anyone know how to fit them?

John
15-09-06, 10:15 PM
Personally i wouldn't bother repairing your old standard calipers, too much time, money and effort.
Send your discs and pads back and invest in some second hand 256s if they'll fit behind your wheels, or a standard vented set up off a gsi. (astra f 1.4 is the same)
Can be found in your local scrappers, i dunno, approx 15 quid? Will improve braking and the pedal feel too imo.
Hope this may be of some use!

Lucky Luke!
15-09-06, 10:29 PM
To be honest if i repair the ones i have then i know that everything is perfect. Just need to know how to fit the repair kit.

Adam
16-09-06, 12:22 AM
Bin them, there a pile of c**p, no offence,Lol.

Get some ATE ones on there!

Even the 1.2i calipers work loads better than early Sr etc Delco calipers.

chimp007_uk
16-09-06, 12:44 AM
i have a set of 2.0 16v ate calipers with vented and grooved discs on my nova gte. braking is good, but there is alot of pedal movement before i get some good response from the brakes. they've been bled last week. is this going to be a master cylinder problem?

Adam
16-09-06, 12:46 AM
Try adjusting the bolt on the brake bar behind the servo.
But dont adjust it too much as the brakes will be binding,Lol.

mowgli
17-09-06, 01:23 PM
sliders take about 10 minutes to fit. there will be a lot of congealed crap inside the hole, so clean it up with wd40 & wire wool, but they will make the brakes work really well.

Lee
17-09-06, 06:30 PM
Agreed that its not worth repairing them. i blindly put a brand new set of Delco callipers on the Mrs' SR about a year and a half ago, and just before i sold it i had a calliper sieze up and cook the disc.

Put some 256's and ATE callipers on it.

DIY*VALVER84
18-09-06, 12:52 PM
bin the damn things...do as they say get some ate's there a whole lot better...and in response to chimp007 the master cylinders probably fine but its a nova one so its going to be toss...try the gsi servo and m/c if not then get onto willwood or ap they will do them but be preparred to pay big money... definitly worth it tho!