PDA

View Full Version : Boxes,nObs & gators

Martin
14-09-06, 02:08 PM
Right My Novas was/is a four speed Box as of factory.

However.. will soon be getting converted to a 2.0 16v 5speed

I was Thinking the other day (yes i do think for my self no body got hurt either :P )

anyhoe my nova was/is a push down reverse action and the F20 i'l be using is a pull up action(I think)

wel any way my question is can i change it all and can i fit a corsa/astra/cav/cally gear stick, gator and nOb???

if so whats needed?

Cheers Martin

Adam
14-09-06, 02:13 PM
Its the linkage that changes how you select gears, push down, pull up blah blah.

The selector mechanism on the box itself remains the same.

So with a nova std linkage it would still be push down reverse..

Ste L
14-09-06, 02:14 PM
f20 isn't pull up to select reverse...

its the car's linkage that make it do that,

ie f20 in a nova on standard gear selector will be push down fro reverse..
in a coras will be lift-up

and yes you can put a cav shifter in it, quite a few people on here have done it, but im not fully sure how its done, so couldn't tell you

Adam
14-09-06, 02:27 PM
Beat you :plol

To fit the cavvy shifter, you have to cut a hole through the transmission tunnel for the shifter rod as it runs inside the car.
I dont know how much else is involved, and i dont really know if its worth the effort to fit it.

Martin
14-09-06, 02:27 PM
kool cheers lads

R1CH
14-09-06, 03:32 PM
Yeah, its the actual shift lever that that determins wether its a 'pull up' or 'push down' for reverse.
I've got a Cally shifter in mine, works spot. I done all the mods to fit mine when it was a bare shell so wasn't bad to do, If your doing it on a 'complete' car then you've gotta take the dash out, carpets up, then theres a bit of cutting & welding to do as well, TBH i wouldn't bother !
Also if your gonna keep your origional shift lever then you'll have to chop off a small bit of plastic (?) on the side of the lever (under the gator) to allow it to move far enough across to reach 5th.

Rich

Adam
14-09-06, 03:45 PM
Also if your gonna keep your origional shift lever then you'll have to chop off a small bit of plastic (?) on the side of the lever (under the gator) to allow it to move far enough across to reach 5th.

Most times you dont, i didn't have to when i fitted a 5spd, was a 4spd originally.

But some people do.

Weird.

Martin
14-09-06, 04:10 PM
Cheers Lads what about shortening the gear stick as i think the nova 1 is rather long is it a case of cutting it andthen puttin some Threads on the end and then winding a after market nOb on?

Ste L
14-09-06, 04:31 PM
Most times you dont, i didn't have to when i fitted a 5spd, was a 4spd originally.

But some people do.

Weird.

i didn't have to on mine either