PDA

View Full Version : t40 gte

benthehash
12-09-06, 06:19 PM
oil return pipe that runs from head to sump do i have to adapt this to fit round the twin 40 manifold as theres no gap like the standard 1
???
cheers ben

Adam
12-09-06, 06:37 PM
Oil return pipe :confused::confused:

rednova
12-09-06, 07:18 PM
do you mean the big pipe that sticks out of the rocker cover? if you do some inlets have a hole for it to go through - if you dont like me i just cut tthe metal pipe at the back down and used a piece of coolant hose or something to go around the inlet - hth

Phil

Stuart
12-09-06, 07:31 PM
the breather

benthehash
12-09-06, 07:32 PM
sorry, yeah it comes from the cam case down to the metal pipe from the sump. i must hit every problem possible nothing is ever simple for me cheers

benthehash
12-09-06, 07:36 PM
my inlet doesn't have a hole think i'll have to bodge something like you did. any other idears before i cut up my pipe????
cheers

Adam
12-09-06, 07:45 PM
Just leave it disconnected, venting to the atmosphere.

benthehash
12-09-06, 08:07 PM
is it a breather thought was the oil return?

Ben_1981
12-09-06, 08:17 PM
it's an oil return, i cut about half off of mine so i could fit the inlet manifold and twin 40's went to the scrappies searched loads of cars then found and oil pipe from a fiat uno of all cars and it fitted a treat and hasn't let me down once

Cheeze
12-09-06, 08:39 PM
i always thought it was a breather, i know in the build guide, they block it up with an alloy bung, same with the sump hole, and use a modified rocker cover to a catch tank

Adam
12-09-06, 08:47 PM
Its a oil breather, not a return pipe.

It breathes oil fumes etc out the crank case back into the cam carrier and then back into the throttle body.

benthehash
12-09-06, 09:13 PM
so basicly i just need a longer pipe to rit round the manifold

next problem will be the master cylinder pipe and what ever the little square holes for what di i connect to this??

benthehash
12-09-06, 09:15 PM
rit would be fit
di wouldd be do
rush for the pub lol

rednova
12-09-06, 10:23 PM
does this help http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/ballgrapes/P8010035.jpg

Phil

im gonna change the rocker cover soon to get rid of the breather pipe thats venting to the engine bay - lol

Adam
12-09-06, 11:58 PM
Leave the breather connected to the cam carrier as above.

Just fit a small breather filter to the rocker cover breather connections, sorted.

If you fit a 1200 rocker the engine wont be able breathe out into the atmostphere? As it dont have a breather output on the rocker.

benthehash
13-09-06, 01:24 PM
cheers pic much help
theres a hole in the head i don't know what to do with.
when lined up with the old manifold it lines up with a hole leading to some kind of pressure switch that sits ontop of the manifold.
do i just need to block this with a bolt or something????

Adam
13-09-06, 02:42 PM
Its the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve hole, it has a small port that takes a bit of the exhaust gases, they go back through the head and back into the inlet.

Im not sure what people do with the hole in the head, you could block it, but how? Ideally it would need tig welding to block it.

benthehash
13-09-06, 03:14 PM
i bought the head from ebay as a low miledge blydenstein head with oversize valves etc etc
my old head has a hole to match the manifold but the new blydenstein head hole has been taped and i managed to find a bolt to fit the thread so i'm thinking maybe the head was used with carbs before.
i wanna wait to find out what other people have done before i locktight it in tho

womble sri
13-09-06, 06:21 PM
mine is just venting off

benthehash
13-09-06, 06:37 PM
mine is just venting off

doesn't this cause all sorts of **** to come flying out under the manifold as the hole leads straight to the exorst port???

Adam
13-09-06, 06:41 PM
Womble-Is yours a 1400 engine?
If so, i dont think the 1400 mpi head has a egr hole, its just the e16se.

craig0120
13-09-06, 07:26 PM
iv tapped mine and put a 17 or 19mm bolt in it i cant remember which

rednova
14-09-06, 06:05 PM
If you fit a 1200 rocker the engine wont be able breathe out into the atmostphere? As it dont have a breather output on the rocker.

would this have any effect on the way the engine runs - will it damage it?:confused:

Phil

Adam
14-09-06, 06:18 PM
I have no idea,Lol.

But without it breathing, it will cause pressure to build up, causing it to exit through the easiest exit, i.e. the dipstick tube.

rednova
14-09-06, 06:33 PM
how do the 1200s get around this? hmmm interesting

womble sri
14-09-06, 06:35 PM
yeah it is an sri head im thinking of the carrier breather?

Adam
14-09-06, 06:37 PM
how do the 1200s get around this? hmmm interesting
They dont have the breather connection on the cam carrier, it goes straight into the airbox ;)

benthehash
18-09-06, 09:34 PM
does this help http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/ballgrapes/P8010035.jpg

Phil

im gonna change the rocker cover soon to get rid of the breather pipe thats venting to the engine bay - lol

the square hole in the manifold, do you just connect this straight up to the heater matrix. also what did you use to connect the pipe to the threaded hole underneath? and the small hole on top that leads to the same chamber does this just need blocking off?

cheers :tard:

Nick
18-09-06, 09:45 PM
Leave the Breather Hose Venting to the atmosphere for the time being !

I've only had one incident where it's breathed anything, probably due to a blockage and me hooking it through an S-Bend, Best to keep an eye on it, and don't have it pointing towards the Exhaust manifold hhehe :D:eek: Doh !

I Got my EGR Hole Tapped and it has a bolt in it. So yes, your Blydenstein head has probaby been used on Carbs before !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_2035.jpg

I run a 1200 cam housing and Rocker Cover.

Soon i'l be switching to a 1600 Rocker cover, so i can beath out of the cam carrier and into a catch tank ! (when the fecking thing has been made)

Ultimatly you want a catch tank, it'l just be alot nicer to look at, and catch any dribbles of oil that come out !

benthehash
18-09-06, 10:21 PM
breather hose poking above your rocker cover, i've bodged this around the manifold and connect back to the cam carrier as standard.

the breather from the rocker cover as showen by rednova, ive fitted a breather filter.

what about the coolent hosese that connect to the manifold?

Nick
18-09-06, 10:39 PM
breather hose poking above your rocker cover, i've bodged this around the manifold and connect back to the cam carrier as standard.

the breather from the rocker cover as showen by rednova, ive fitted a breather filter.

what about the coolent hosese that connect to the manifold?
Right, that's an alternative !

Only thing is, it might breath a bit of oil now and again. So the idea of a catch tank is to catch the oil, get it out of the way and still allow a clear breathing passge ! otherwise you could get built up crankcase pressure.

I'd Invest in a catch tank personally. I'l get some piccies up when mine is done and fitted with the 1600 Rocker. But it's no rush really, just prehaps a more ideal solution.

rednova
18-09-06, 10:56 PM
what happens with too much crank case pressure?

novatracker
18-09-06, 11:12 PM
right am useing a 14sr bottom end with sri head on 40's with the cam carrior from a 1.2spi nova so the mechanical fuel pump holes is sealed up because am using a electric one and using the 1.4sr breather box at the back of the block and using a catch tank on the bulkhead or inner wing (might use a old juice bottle to save money the now) and thats now iv done it. will work the same on a 1.6 with breathing etc:thumb:

Nick
18-09-06, 11:32 PM
what happens with too much crank case pressure?
I presume it'l just try and send your oil pressure sky high.

I'd personally rather know it's all clear and Breathing as it should be. Rather than having the possibility of a Small K&N Crankcase breather getting partly blocked by gunky oil and Water Emulsion.

At least in the Tank scenario, all gunky-****e and breathed oil is being collected and hopefully there is still a nice clear vent out the top of the tank !

As you can see , it's not a neccessity - Just a better solution that having dangling pipes everywhere ! Plus a cranksace filter will be re-usable on the Tank.

Adam
19-09-06, 12:23 AM
If the crank case pressure builds up it will exit via the easiest route, i.e. the dipstick tube etc.

Nick
19-09-06, 12:42 AM
Or straight out an open breather lol !

As i found out....

benthehash
21-09-06, 04:37 PM
any one know what to do with that coolant pipe does it go straight from the manifold to heater matrix???
and the hole ontop block it or what ???
thanks

Adam
21-09-06, 04:52 PM
It goes onto the T40 manifold does it not?

benthehash
21-09-06, 05:06 PM
yeah the square hole in the manifold do i need to join this to the heater matrix as i think i;ve solved all the other pipes and these are the only holes left?

novatracker
21-09-06, 11:42 PM
the small hole on the left of the manifold if u look at it when fitted. the hole is for the temp gadge on the bash. small brass sensor which i think has a blue wire with a white trace on it.

Nick
21-09-06, 11:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_2226.jpg

Just can't see the manifold properly, let me know if a better shot would be of any help !

benthehash
25-09-06, 05:18 PM
I've got a mangoletsi manifold the hole i'm having trouble with is the underside far left of this picture.

i need something that will screw into the hole bout 16mm to allow me to attach the hose what have you used?? i'm stuck!!