PDA

View Full Version : Blown engine - please help!!

Anonymous
06-10-00, 10:05 PM
Since being bought about a year ago, one of my Novas (1989 GTE) has developed a number of problems wich seem to have no cure. True it was a bit knackered, but I never expected nothing of the sort... Firstly, about a month after being bought, it broke the camshaft. After a bit of research, we discovered that the 1 . 3 SR cam had the same timing, so one was fitted. Soon after, the head gasket blew, and when the head was removed, a broken piston was discovered. After replacing the piston and closing everything up the car smoked like hell, and a short time after it went on 2 cylinders... Opening up revealed 2 broken pistons = Full rebuild!!!!!! So, reseleeved, new pistons, new bearings, reground crank, new oil pump, etc. Now, a month after being on the road and being driven very gently, it went on 3 cylinders... Compression testing showed 1 cylinder with half the compression on the other 3... So, opening up again revealed a broken piston (the same one as first time). I?m baffled!! What should I do? Could it be because the cam may not be right after all? Or maybe there is too much compression, as the head has been ground a number of times (at least 3), and the block once... Any ideas on this as I?m affraid if I rebuild it, it?ll just blow again?!? Also, I have acess to a Tigra 1.4 engine and a Astra 1.8 (115bhp)... would any of them be too hard to fit instead of rebuilding my engine?
PLEASE HELP!!!

Anonymous
06-10-00, 11:13 PM
hmm

could be a nuber of problems couldnt it ?

i mean, crankshaft could be shafted, bearins, con rods, or from the sound of things, the block and head. Sounds like you are spending some money on that engine, when it might be cheaper to get a new (better?) one fitted.

just a thought

Anonymous
07-10-00, 02:28 PM
i wouldnt bother with fixing your lump it sound well fucked u shoud be able to get a second hand motor for about ?300

you have probably spent that on pistons!

Anonymous
07-10-00, 06:52 PM
1.4 Nova in need of engine mods, any ideas?

Anonymous
07-10-00, 10:26 PM
I have acess to a Tigra 1.4 engine and a Astra 1.8 (115bhp)... Wich one would be easier to fit in?

Anonymous
08-10-00, 02:07 PM
the tigra one would be easier coz its a small block family 1 engine. this means that it will go in on your gearbox and curent engine mounts but u will be down on power. the 1.8 will be more greif as the mountys will have to be lowerd and a matching gearbox will have to be sorced u will also have to get sum driveshafts made up etc

Anonymous
08-10-00, 09:24 PM
Ok Mick, next question... What is needed for the Tigra swap (I don?t mind the power loss, as it is easy to get back)? Loom, ECU, what more? Another thing I remembered... is the Tigra one of those fancy jobs with the coded ignition keys? Anything else I should know?
Cheers for the support!!

Anonymous
09-10-00, 09:00 AM
I would put a 1.6 16v ecotec in, see SBD's web site they can easily squeeze alot of power out of it. Ie 2.0 16v type power, apparently it was built with power in mind not emissions and has massive valves.