PDA

View Full Version : Manifold and system fitting

Matt2107
12-09-06, 01:20 PM
I'm planning on getting stuck in on saturday and removing the old manifold, then fitting the new manifold and system. The mongoose stainless system is sat on my bed at my parents looking very shiney and the Sportex 4-1 manifold is winging its way to me as we speak.

I'm also planning on ordering Powerflex exhaust mounts.. (definately rear possibly front if I can figure out which to buy)

Exhaust assembly paste is pretty much sorted (thanks BigStan)

Still left to buy on the shopping list is...

Manifold gasket
Manifold bolts
Manifold to system bolts.

Anyone got any ideas how much the above is gonna cost me?

Adam
12-09-06, 01:42 PM
I used stainless steel M8 30mm bolts for the manifold, and i think M10 bolts for the manifold to system. Coat them in copper grease.

You'll also need a gasket that goes between the system and manifold.

Exhaust manifold to head gasket is about ?3.

I also hope you get a good fitting sportex manifold, as the majority of people that have had sportex have said they dont fit right, touching the sump etc,Lol.

Matt2107
12-09-06, 01:45 PM
I used stainless steel M8 30mm bolts for the manifold, and i think M10 bolts for the manifold to system. Coat them in copper grease.

You'll also need a gasket that goes between the system and manifold.

Exhaust manifold to head gasket is about ?3.

I also hope you get a good fitting sportex manifold, as the majority of people that have had sportex have said they dont fit right, touching the sump etc,Lol.

God damnit... why cant things be easy.

Adam
12-09-06, 01:48 PM
It is quite a straight forward job.
IF you can get the old manifold studs/nuts off,Lol.

Remove the backbox.
Unbolt the downpipe from the system and then just drop the whole system off and slide it from under the car, thats what i did, save pi**ing about with rusted nuts,Lol.

Matt2107
12-09-06, 01:59 PM
lol the system is already off.. just the manifold to take off. It looks pretty rusty hence why I'm gonna get some new bolts.

The plan is this.

Pop over there tomorrow lunch and soak the bolts with WD40.

Saturday
Take off manifold 30mins max
Put on new manifold 30mins max
Put on new system 30mins max

But It'll probably go like this....

Spend all friggin day trying to get the manifold bolts out.. round a few in the process.. maybe shear one off. Get out impact driver... smash **** out of it... if that doesnt work then Collapse on the floor in a heap throwing a tantrum.

Incidently I asked my younger bro if he wanted the peco back box for his astra.. he promptly got the angle grinder out and cut it off the system nearly setting himself on fire in the process.

Adam
12-09-06, 02:04 PM
It took me 2hours remove my 1.2i manifold, there was nothing left of the nuts, they had just rusted to blobs of metal lol

Matt2107
12-09-06, 03:06 PM
Just been quoted 5 pounds something (very bad reception at work) + Vat for the manifold gasket from Vaux.