PDA

View Full Version : Carb Freezing

Anonymous
13-03-01, 07:31 PM
What are the symptoms of carb freezing? I've heard it's a common prbb on novas with bolt-on filters. My car playing up at the mo and i'm just trying to figure out what the problem is.

My car is a 1.4 SR with weber 32/34 carb and a K&N bolt-on filter. When i get to 2000 revs in any gear the car jerks like crazy and starts to come to a standstill, this carries on until i hit 3-3500 revs. Is this a symptom of carb freezing or something else?

It's like a negative turbo when you hit a certain rev range, all power disappears :(

B-) "and a Persian Rug" B-)

Anonymous
13-03-01, 11:21 PM
It sounds like carb freezing, but it could also be your leads or other ignition bits getting wet.......does it only happen in cold weather, or is it as bad when it's warm, but wet?

I had similar symptoms, but it WAS NOT the carb freezing, as it didn't do it when the weather was cold....ONLY when it was very wet....especially when driving behind trucks down the motorway, with all the spray....that's when it would happen the worse.

Check the ignition...leads, distributor, coil etc...try some damp-start. Replace bits if necessary...especially the leads.
Many people also advise using a marigold glove over the distributor, to keep the damp out.....as the rally boys do!

Anonymous
14-03-01, 11:23 AM
R u letting it warm up in the mornings b 4 u drive it??

dan69_gsi@hotmail.com :p

Anonymous
14-03-01, 02:36 PM
I've already replaces the leads and plugs. It seems to be just when it's cold. It's probably me not letting it warm up fully.

You know these bloody new drivers, they don't know anything. :D

B-) "and a Persian Rug" B-)

Anonymous
14-03-01, 07:05 PM
has it been really cold where u are?? its a bit "warm" for carb freezing id say.
Have you checked your fuel supply, pump filter etc?
If it aint that your carb could be blocked.
Not likely to be carb freezing if its just started lately.

Anonymous
15-03-01, 12:25 AM
nope its still cold enough fo carb freezing
i take my filters off for the winter and revert back to the orig

i put my k&n back on the other day and mine has iced up 5 times scince (normally late at night or early in morning)

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
15-03-01, 04:48 PM
i ad the similar prob it could be your vacuum unit on the dizzy that was my prob

Anonymous
15-03-01, 07:12 PM
vacum units dont even work half the time!

Anonymous
15-03-01, 07:19 PM
mine dont and i got a new one!!! stupid f.ucking DELCO cr.ap

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
15-03-01, 10:22 PM
i thought peeps got weber 32/34 carbs cos they dont freeze up on u as easy?

Anonymous
16-03-01, 01:08 AM
I thought that too....but another reason is that the Pierburg standard lumps got an auto-choke that fucks up!

Anonymous
16-03-01, 10:38 AM
ive got a pierburg and its got a manual choke

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
16-03-01, 06:25 PM
yeah but cambridge yours is 1.2 if im not mistaken (sorry if i am)
the 1.2 had a peiburb 1b carb wheres the later sr`s had a 2e carb

anyways its irellivent as my mates 1.2 with 1b carb and k and n filter ices up coz he hasnt got the platic shite round the radiator (which means the air streams stright into the filter (ghood for summer shit dor anything else)

i have just this minuite took my filter back off as its iced up 10 times scince saturday and its making me fucking late for work!

had a race with a 1.3 sr the other night on way home from work
kicked his arse and i watched his weber carb freeze up
i fucked off down the motorway and 5 mins later mine did the same lol