PDA

View Full Version : Dead amp

Jack
11-09-06, 12:52 PM
The amp in the back of my car (Alpine MRD M605) has suddenly decided it no longer wants to work. It cut out about 10 days ago one evening whilst driving along - suddenly realised I had no sub lol - so I stopped, checked the wires were all in, and for some reason it just randomly started working again after I'd turned the ignition on and off a couple times.

Its now totally died and has been out of action for about a week. The fuses are ok, as far as I can tell the wiring is all connected and Ok at amp/battery/HU/earth, and I'm going to check the wires with a multimeter hopefully this evening. The amp has been sat in its current location for about 3 months with no overheating problems so I don't think I've melted anything, its not near anything hot either. However, I did fit a new induction kit a couple weekends ago, and the power cable for the amp kept flopping down and touching the alu intake pipe - is it possible this has gotten hot and damaged the power cable? On the outside the cable looks ok... Is there anything else that could be causing it to not work that I should check?

Lucky Luke!
11-09-06, 01:32 PM
My guess is a loose connection inside the amp, how old is the amp?

Jack
11-09-06, 03:14 PM
Just over a year old I think; bought it second hand from ebay - iirc it was coming up to a year old when being sold, and I only bought it a couple months ago.

Ash
11-09-06, 05:52 PM
I could get my dad to have a look at it, if you want? He's done some repairs for Liquid Ice. if he cant fix it then theres a very good guy out Glastonbury that he sends stuff to.

PM me.

Ash

Jack
11-09-06, 09:32 PM
Just been out to test the connection and according to my multimeter, the main fuse by the battery is knackered. And the HU has now stopped working... :confused:

I'll try a new fuse tomorrow (need a new fuse holder too as gorilla hands here kinda broke the existing one lol)...

Lucky Luke!
11-09-06, 10:07 PM
The fuse at the battery will only supply the amp though?

Jack
11-09-06, 10:19 PM
Thats what I thought. Pretty sure they haven't run the HU power off that as its wired to the accessory circuit on the ignition.

I've probably ballsed up another fuse in the process of checking the wires to the amp lol

[edit]Erm, actually, where the HU reset after having power disconnected it had turned itself off. Pressing the power button this morning turned it on and worked fine... yes, I am a cheese lol

Jack
13-09-06, 01:20 PM
Fixed it :D

changed the fuse in the engine bay...

:tard:

Got a couple of replacement fuses from Halfrauds (one of which was DOA!!) and all is hunky dory in ampland again. I've re-routed the wire underneath the induction kit now (previously it was trailing across the top of the inlet pipe), but its still a tad close due to the shortness of the cable. Would the wire getting hot cause problems?

craig green
29-09-06, 01:07 PM
hot wires shouldnt cause any issues as such. In extremeties it might.

just goes to show that tidy wiring & installation is equally important as how many watts yo 6x9s have...