PDA

View Full Version : suspension,dampers etc

Anonymous
13-03-01, 12:45 PM
theres a nova GTE in the breakers yard,its had most of the niceties stripped off such as alloys,brakes,interior,bodykit etc but I was wondering if the suspension would fit onto my 1.2merit(Mk1)?-has anyone tried this?-is it any good?-I know the SR sits roughly 25mm lower than cooking models,and the GTE 25mm lower still,apparently.would this chang over be fairly simple to do?-what parts of the car would I need besides the dampers n springs?

Anonymous
13-03-01, 01:01 PM
make sure they are not shagged first. they could be 12yrs old!

Whoopass! :D

Anonymous
13-03-01, 01:01 PM
The springs should be OK, (maybe a bit tired) but the dampers could be well knackered if they are old. Get the springs, and what about the front and rear anti roll bars, they would be nice if they havn't gone. :)

I'm not all there, Theres something missing, I'm not all there.

Anonymous
13-03-01, 01:17 PM
what does the rear anti roll bar look like. what do they come on as std?

dan69_gsi@hotmail.com :p

Anonymous
13-03-01, 01:23 PM
The rear anti roll bar is the bit that fits in the centre of the rear beam, its just a long bar with square ends that have a bolt through them. The GTE and GSI came with 22mm roll bars, (and possibly SRis?), the other ones like the SR have 20mm ones, but I don't know exactly which models came with these.

I'm not all there, Theres something missing, I'm not all there.

Anonymous
13-03-01, 04:33 PM
so if I get the springs,it should uprate the handling n lower it slightly?-does this sound right?

Anonymous
13-03-01, 07:54 PM
yes it will bob but u can get new G MEX springs 4 about ?60 to ?70 from
www.demon-tweeks.co.uk dead easy to fit take
about an hour i'd go 4 new springs if i was u
as the other1s may be sh*ged

Anonymous
13-03-01, 11:43 PM
Don't bother with old dampers, unless they look fairly new......I bought a pair of front ones second hand (scrappy), but only because they looked brand new, and still had new-looking paper-stickers on them.

If you're short on cash, as I was at the time, then as long as they look fairly new, you may as well have 'em.
As for the springs, try Larkspeed, and get Puma springs for ?47