PDA

View Full Version : MK1 Grill conversion

Anonymous
12-03-01, 02:19 PM
Im wondering if i could convert my plastic slatted grill on my F reg nova MK1 to one that looks like a GTE - (on the cheap) could i cut the middle plastic slats out and replace the back with mesh? - do you think it could work or look any good?

Anonymous
12-03-01, 03:17 PM
Would it not just be easier to mesh the lot? that is what I have done :)

Ease Yourself Back Into Conciousness !!!!!
:D

Anonymous
12-03-01, 03:23 PM
Yes I've done it, Remove the slats fill the holes left, Mesh the back fastening it on with stickoflex (sealant/glue stuff), You might want to paint the mesh first and maybe the filled holes in the grill, or you could colour code the whole surround. see pics of my car in featured cars.

Get out of my sweet shop.

Anonymous
12-03-01, 04:02 PM
So it is posable to do it - cos my grill currently looks like this http://www.novaload.net/car_images/85big.jpg

- so i would hack saw out the middle slatts and then use your meshing thechnique - i have looked in to getting relplacve ment grills and gte grills it is v expensive and it isent supposed to work or fit to well on a MK1 so i feel this is my best option B-) but i dunno :)

Anonymous
12-03-01, 04:22 PM
As far as I can see Yes it looks OK, if the slat bits fit in to small holes at the ends that is, these will need filling.

Get out of my sweet shop.

Anonymous
12-03-01, 04:32 PM
what if it is a solid plasic peace - could i just saw them off?

Anonymous
13-03-01, 12:03 AM
You will be left with triangular holes at the ends, where you've cut out the slats, but they are easy to fill - just fibre-glass/glue some fibre glass/plastic sheeting behind the holes to provide support for some filler on the outside.

Smooth, prime and paint. See my Antibes in the feature cars......I've done this, but I left in the top slat, to make the hole smaller, to be more like the SR/GTE grill.

Anonymous
13-03-01, 06:10 PM
i did mine as well when it was a mk1 and i rekon they look better as the grill is slighly deeper than a gte

Micky@novaload.net :)