PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio Is Dead!!!!!

Lucky Luke!
06-09-06, 10:17 PM
..........At least where i work (ed), went to work this morning by 11am was told that the car audio industry is dying (which it is, been quiet for weeks now) and that i've been made redundant, fan fu<king tastic. So i am now jobless with fu<k all money to spend on getting my car sorted. So i'm pretty wound up at the mo. My advice? if you were thinking of getting into car audio, don't, it will be a dead industry in about 5 years for big shops and about now for little ones like mine (was).

Stuart
06-09-06, 10:19 PM
dont worry, the whole automotive industry is on its knees.... even massive companies are bailing fast

draper
06-09-06, 10:21 PM
unlucky mate, could always take our friend gaskells advice and get a window cleaning round !!

hendrix
06-09-06, 10:24 PM
dont worry, the whole automotive industry is on its knees.... even massive companies are bailing fast
Like GM who seem to be properly in the poo :(

draper
06-09-06, 10:27 PM
maybe you could do installs on the side ? register self employed and do it in your spare time ??

Lucky Luke!
06-09-06, 10:30 PM
90% of the problem is the area, where i live no one wants to spend any money on decent installs. Everyone wants the cheapest stuff and is quite happy to just sling it all in. The last car i done is in this months fast car. No comparison really!

Stuart
06-09-06, 10:38 PM
GM are doing "well" by comparrisson to out blue oval chums (who i techncially work for lol)

Mike.
06-09-06, 11:22 PM
yeah lol, haven't ford put aston martin up for sale lol

Ash
06-09-06, 11:53 PM
@ Luke

yea, Just after i left Liquid Ice theres been no work, no-one wants to spend the money, people just buy it off the web, half the time not knowing what it is and then struggle to install it. Some of the bodges if seen - surprised some cars didnt go up in flames! and we just get the same cusumer come through the door every day, and theres only so much you can sell/fit im there car/s

Ash

Dergnova
07-09-06, 12:05 AM
90% of the problem is the area, where i live no one wants to spend any money on decent installs. Everyone wants the cheapest stuff and is quite happy to just sling it all in. The last car i done is in this months fast car. No comparison really!

Bout to say that just,no1 wants to spend money on one,they have there ****e speakers and subs blasting out and them, souding like nothing,distortion city! Honesltly some of the ppl in my town dont even notice the distortion,grr...piss's me off!

Unlucky one mate,life sucks lol

Matt2107
07-09-06, 09:22 AM

Too many pikeys on the rob?

Lucky Luke!
07-09-06, 12:04 PM
That too! The amount of times people came in with there 2 sets of 6 x 9"s and there proplus subs bragging about how loud it goes then when they turn it up its like they are insulting my ears!

Also not helped by the fact things are becoming to easy to upgrade from factory, Lexus for example, come with DVD players, sub, ipod interface and bluetooth hands free!!!!! What is there to upgrade too??

Things suck. Life is not good, on a very low ebb.............

Matt2107
07-09-06, 12:24 PM
My little brother is ditching his head unit in favour of a small computer unit.
Bluetooth dongle so he can connect to his network and transfer music.

as for being on a low ebb... find a nice bit of quiet land and go buy an air rifle.. then shoot stuff. Can be nice and relaxing.

philly
07-09-06, 01:39 PM
i found only during holiday periods its quiet in our place, but with so many different places about all competing too for business its harder on smaller business' especially with ebay selling practically all u need, you dont even have to go out an look for a stereo no more

dannyb
07-09-06, 05:50 PM
as for being on a low ebb... find a nice bit of quiet land and go buy an air rifle.. then shoot stuff. Can be nice and relaxing.

This is good advice! Although you'll have to have the landowners permission.

Matt2107
08-09-06, 09:25 AM
This is good advice! Although you'll have to have the landowners permission.

Lol yeah forgot that bit.

My godfather used to have an orchard that we used to take a couple of air rifles down too. The aim... shoot as many rabbits and rats as possible.

How many do you think we shot??? None.. too damn fast plus I was only about 13. Ended up taking drinks cans and plastic bottles to shoot instead.

Shame he hasnt got it anymore... Tesco paid to rip up all the orchards round here so there is no market for local apples.

Lucky Luke!
08-09-06, 12:32 PM
Its okay i live on a farm so plenty to shoot!

And philly is right. Big companys are selling stuff over the net cheaper than we can buy them in for, How do you compete with that? Not just me though, a few lads from other companys in the area have been laid off as well. Small companys are dying out.

dannyb
08-09-06, 09:31 PM
I think the small companies dying out is true across the board, my dad used to restore antique furniture and do french polishing (like the high gloss finish on pianos) but since everyone wants to buy furniture from Ikea, the trade has died a death. Now he's back in the undertaking trade as people are always dying!

philly
08-09-06, 11:12 PM
Now he's back in the undertaking trade as people are always dying!

thats one way of looking at the darker side to life lol

internet has killed business, has anybody seen those bill board posters,
the internet is killing the high street, would we miss it once its gone?

kinda speaks the truth IMO

Lucky Luke!
11-09-06, 08:46 AM
Yes we would. The net doesn't sell installation thats about it. The net doesn't work its tiny little ass off to get things done on time and make custom panels etc. That is what people are loosing with the net. The personal touch.

draper
11-09-06, 09:46 AM
Yes we would. The net doesn't sell installation thats about it. The net doesn't work its tiny little ass off to get things done on time and make custom panels etc. That is what people are loosing with the net. The personal touch.

but people dont want the personal touch when they can save hundreds of pounds

Jack
11-09-06, 10:00 AM
Internet can sell installation when you have roaming installers. People are too lazy to get off their bums and actually go to a shop and buy stuff now though. Those that do tend to go to Halfords and play about with the head units to find one they like, then go back home and buy them online! lol

As said, its the price that rules, and most people are buying rubbish shark/proplus/low end sony/JBL etc gear off the net and not giving a hoot about sound quality.

Reminds me actually, might have to make a trip to Liquid Ice... my amp has died a death :(

GM are doing "well" by comparrisson to out blue oval chums (who i techncially work for lol)
Yet Mr T is doing fine and dandy, mainly because they're going for the popular "cheap and cheerful" small car market - hence why the Supra, Celica and MR2 have been canned and their replacements will be in the Lexus line up.

Lozzie C
11-09-06, 05:22 PM
I don't know what I'd do without the usual highstreet shops! I look forward to my shopping during my long college hours. Sorry to be stereotypical- it's quite a typical girly thing to say, but true. :roll:

As for the car companies... maybe it's because we prefer investing in older cars (like perhaps Novas)!? TBH I think that fact they're unpredictable and unreliable at the worst of times makes them a bit more exciting!! :p

Loz

ade
12-09-06, 01:00 AM
car computers! Thats the way forward. Its HUGE in america. Set up a good quality carputer company offering touch screens, speakers, set ups and installs.

CD's are out, people are pligging ipods and god knows what kind of gadgets into their cars. A carputer holds thousands of sonds ipod style and you can hook up sat nav, radio etc to a touch screen.

If you know what youre doing thres money to be made.

dannyb
12-09-06, 09:31 AM
Very good point, a true car computer (a PC, not something which tells you the date, temp, mpg like you get on a H plate Merc!) is the next step which you pretty much can't have as an optional extra on your new Astra/Focus/Golf etc.

Lucky Luke!
12-09-06, 01:53 PM
Yes but then that comes back round to the main problem of............. no one wants to spend money.

philly
12-09-06, 04:04 PM
and getting it fitted off the internet if you buy it from there