PDA

View Full Version : 0-60 time and brown pants

kronk10
06-09-06, 06:14 PM
Hi guys an girls had an interesting week after taking my bro out in the car down a unused country road i tried a 0-60 time. My car has been tuned its a 1.4 (nova obviously) and the first try with loads of wheel spin was just over 8 secs:) which is allright. so i treid again after tyres were warm and got 7 seconds dead!!! does this sound right. Anyway started to go to work four hours later and steam comes from under bonnet so i naturally crapped myself. I go to open my bonnet and cant open it cus the bonnet catch was sticking ten minutes later and bonnets up and a split water hose found:confused: i was bloody lucky i thought the head had gone after just 3 weeks after rebuild. So go down the road after fixing pipe and 5 mins later warning and battery light pop on:mad: so once again get bonnet and found the alternator belt had got soaking wet and slipped off:eek: everythings fine and dandy now but bloody hell if one more thing goes wrong i will regret getting the small block tuned.

Does anyone know what else i can do to get more bhp out of a 1.4 already at 113bhp but should make more due to now been run in, already got 1600 head ported and polished and skimmed. newmann road rally cam, twin 40's full system+ manifold and bottom end rebuild arp bolts etc + facet pump and regulator;) any suggestions

Stuart
06-09-06, 06:22 PM
mmmm good ole inaccurate nova clocks and a stop watch. now thats the best way to get a 0-60 time lmao.

a lairier cam, bigger valves, mappable ign and revs.... for more power

Adam
06-09-06, 06:24 PM
Sounds nice.

What blew the water hose tho....

Mike.
06-09-06, 06:29 PM
Sounds nice.

What blew the water hose tho....

pressure perhaps

Adam
06-09-06, 06:33 PM
Did the hose look quite old?

kronk10
06-09-06, 06:35 PM
God knows the air filter on the carbs was touching the pipe but it looked like it was just old and knackered scared the absolute ****e out of me but its ok now.
I dont wanna go bigger cam as the one now is jumpy enough and is weird around town etc. It kicks in around 2500--3000 rpm and just pulls and pulls. It does 40ish in 1st and 60 in second (hitting the redline) it feels abit wierd now when i push it gear cahnges are to quick and it dont feel as fast as when i first got it back from the tuners. Maybe iam getting used to it i hope i dont want more power my wallet wont open anymore ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam
06-09-06, 06:39 PM
You will get used to it, you always do. Lol

Stuart
06-09-06, 06:42 PM
its not setup right if its lumpy...... and if the cam is "kicking in" then its not setup right again lol. Its not like nitrous where you get a sudden burst of power...

kronk10
06-09-06, 07:15 PM
its not setup right if its lumpy...... and if the cam is "kicking in" then its not setup right again lol. Its not like nitrous where you get a sudden burst of power...

Its got a road/rally cam in which dont idle right anyway. And it comes on cam at the specific rpm as it said in the cam spec's. Its deffo setup right cus they took over 4 weeks to do the rebuild. I am back there next week for a check up and anouther rolling road to see if its making more bhp or theres faults somewhere. Its my first proper tuned engine so iam abit nervous and wary of everyone

Nick
06-09-06, 07:30 PM
I doubt your on 7secs flat.

Mate of mine has a Clio 172, which is around 6.9-7.1 Prooven many a times by club members, even the Renault Figure is that ! , and i'm only just able to get and even 0-60 with it.

Go and get it officially tested, might be suprising !

RJM25R
06-09-06, 07:41 PM
So you're engine is that good it makes your nova almost as quick as a valver then eh? Well done that man.............

kronk10
06-09-06, 08:30 PM
i wish ha that would be fun as stu said gotta love the nova clocks. Just out of interest what is a valver like to drive, i would have gone that route but insurance hates me

Dan
06-09-06, 08:32 PM
pfffft ignorant rjm :roll:

A valver isnt that special, just a cheaper option for those that cant be bothered or want massive power. More of these around now than the original engines tinkered with

As regards the 0-60 time, stop just where you are, forget it and walk away as it isnt doing it in what you think it is, speedo's are innacurate as are the rev counters and as for the stopwatch fpmsl.

If you want a nice time to compare with then get to santapod and run it on the qtr, at least you are timed by proper timing gear and have a printout at the end of it.

The cam being lumpy etc is partially down to tune, there are a few of us that run bigger cams and have engines that idle almost as smooth as standard. The key is all in the tune and there are not many that can tune an engine for a good even spread of power. I have been to many over the years and still now have to drive for over 2 hrs to get mine tuned somewhere near to how I want it.

kronk10
06-09-06, 08:34 PM
I doubt your on 7secs flat.

Mate of mine has a Clio 172, which is around 6.9-7.1 Prooven many a times by club members, even the Renault Figure is that ! , and i'm only just able to get and even 0-60 with it.

Go and get it officially tested, might be suprising !

Where can you get it officially tested?? at a dyno:confused: i would love to go back to santa pod, my last run on untuned 1.4 running mismatched ports and webbers was 18 secs qaurter milelol god that was funny. when is the next run what ya brung day i wanna hit the 15'slol

kronk10
06-09-06, 08:38 PM

A valver isnt that special, just a cheaper option for those that cant be ****d or want massive power

As regards the 0-60 time, stop just where you are, forget it and walk away as it isnt doing it in what you think it is, speedo's are innacurate as are the rev counters and as for the stopwatch fpmsl.

If you want a nice time to compare with then get to santapod and run it on the qtr, at least you are timed by proper timing gear and have a printout at the end of it.

The cam being lumpy etc is partially down to tune, there are a few of us that run bigger cams and have engines that idle almost as smooth as standard. The key is all in the tune and there are not many that can tune an engine for a good even spread of power. I have been to many over the years and still now have to drive for over 2 hrs to get mine tuned somewhere near to how I want it.

Whys is this!!!!!! i have to drive 2 hours to get to my tuning place. There is top boss performance in derby but they rip you off. Is tuning getting such a lost art or is just that its very expensive to buy the gear and get a company up and running.

Adam
07-09-06, 12:23 AM
Think its basically because theres a serious lack of tuners that can set carbs up correctly, to give good power/torque over the rev range.

A lot will do it and charge you for it, but only a few can do it properly.

SRlew
07-09-06, 11:17 AM
yer thats why im wanting to go to one that one of you lot have used before, a tried and tested place if you know what i mean.

krobinson
07-09-06, 11:26 AM

True. If its runing lumpy then its not properly setup. I ran an AST17, which is a solid profile cam on my 1400cc, it idled perfectly.

A mate ran a piper 285 and the idle was awful, until he got it properly setup, and thats just a fast road cam.

Keith

Paul
07-09-06, 02:09 PM
Velos :thumb: back in the day anyway!

loggyboy
07-09-06, 03:30 PM
mate and a stopwatch.. lol lol lol - 7 sec - lol lol lol

4 seconds off the book figure with only 30 bhp more than book figure.. lol

loggyboy
07-09-06, 03:46 PM

A valver isnt that special, just a cheaper option for those that cant be bothered or want massive power. More of these around now than the original engines tinkered with

This argument/disccusion will rage till the down of time. Some are biased towards big tune smalls, Some bias to cheap big blocks. I think the small blocks will always win morraly, but when it comes to figures and results, the big blocks will always win.

jamie gsi16v
07-09-06, 04:23 PM
Whys is this!!!!!! i have to drive 2 hours to get to my tuning place. There is top boss performance in derby but they rip you off. Is tuning getting such a lost art or is just that its very expensive to buy the gear and get a company up and running.

you said it, worked there and done some very bad tuning on cars under force, thats why i left, just out of interest where have you taken your car? pm me if you want, oh and theres a good rwyb down at pod on the 15th of october il be going to if you fancy a drive down. jamie

Philsutton
07-09-06, 05:18 PM
Yeah i'll see you down pod on the 15th jamie, gav is coming as well, should be a good show down.

kronk10
07-09-06, 07:35 PM
you said it, worked there and done some very bad tuning on cars under force, thats why i left, just out of interest where have you taken your car? pm me if you want, oh and theres a good rwyb down at pod on the 15th of october il be going to if you fancy a drive down. jamie

I take my car to a place called protune in staffordshire its not that far but its in the sticks. Where abouts do you live cus i really need to start getting out and its hard to find other nova lovers in good old derby!!!!! I live in mickleover derby near the a50 etc. I might book the 15th off work to come down if so we could meet somewhere cus i cant remember how to get to the pod:tard:

kronk10
07-09-06, 07:36 PM
This argument/disccusion will rage till the down of time. Some are biased towards big tune smalls, Some bias to cheap big blocks. I think the small blocks will always win morraly, but when it comes to figures and results, the big blocks will always win.

That is spot on! people always wonder why i have tuned a small block but its mainly because it shocks people cus they dont realise how fast they can belol

Mike
07-09-06, 07:50 PM
That is spot on! people always wonder why i have tuned a small block but its mainly because it shocks people cus they dont realise how fast they can belol

Ditto! Agreed full on

jamie gsi16v
08-09-06, 03:20 PM
i live on the a52 half way between ashbourne and derby, pop down sumtime if you like and il take you for a go in mine, might change your mind about small blocks then lol, 300+bhp, 6spd, and lsd, windy open roads = loadsa fun lol

Rexy
09-09-06, 10:35 AM
i might pop down to pod, see what i can get the saloon upto

kronk10
09-09-06, 04:44 PM
I ahve got the 15 of october off so i will deffo pop down should be fun to see what the car does now i am deffo hoping for 15 high 15's. Plus it will be nice to meet some of you guys well thats if your cominglol

burgo
11-09-06, 10:57 AM
sounds like i should be dragging the TD to the pod on the 15th then if you lot are going

hendrix
11-09-06, 11:12 AM
may bring the smokey SR then lol

Philsutton
11-09-06, 11:32 AM
excellent, i was only planning on going down on my own to get some more 1/4 mile time in the corsa, its only really had a few passes on this set up. Should be good if a load of us go down.

dhdev (Oli)
11-09-06, 01:11 PM
I will be at Shakespeare county raceway on the 1st October (weather permitting) if anyone fancies popping down / up / across lol. :thumb:

jamie gsi16v
11-09-06, 07:49 PM
we gonna organise a meet down at pod on the 15th then?