PDA

View Full Version : MoT Fails

Tazzy
05-09-06, 03:34 PM
what kind of daft things have your cars failed mots on?

i had my mot the other week, and it failed on having blue side lights, and rear plate light, as well as major corroding under the driver side front arch which cost me ?90 to get sorted, changed the bulbs, got it through!

Matt2107
05-09-06, 03:35 PM
Headlight alignment....

Philsutton
05-09-06, 05:17 PM
when i was trying to mot the corsa the one place i took it too the fat **** couldnt get in because of the rollcage an bucket seats. Then threw the keys at me said i was a tosser and told me it shouldnt be on the road, all because the **** struggled getting in.

Adam
05-09-06, 05:41 PM
when i was trying to mot the corsa the one place i took it too the fat **** couldnt get in because of the rollcage an bucket seats. Then threw the keys at me said i was a tosser and told me it shouldnt be on the road, all because the **** struggled getting in.
ROFL, pisser lollollol

Tazzy-You failed for blue side light bulbs? Did they shine blue tho, i have blue/white sidelight bulbs, sposed to be road legal...

Tazzy
06-09-06, 04:20 PM
i used to have the road legal blue bulbs, but one blew, so i bought the bottle of bulb paint and paited ALL my light blue, with a few coats, so yes, the side lights do give off a very clear blue light, with no hint of yellow/white/legal, lol

Lee
06-09-06, 04:48 PM
Bout 4 years ago my cav failed on a bit of rot on the front inner arch. I didnt bother looking at it, just took it down to my mates to get it welded for the re-test.

When we both got under it, the bit of metal missing was no bigger than a 5p. A big blob of weld sorted it, didnt even need a plate!

Picky bastid!

bigbened
06-09-06, 05:37 PM
mine failes on a feckin sunstrip lol

dannyb
06-09-06, 05:45 PM
My BMW failed on a windscreen wiper only last year. Cost 31 quid for a new one from BMW :(

The Nova has been excellent, failing only on a leaky washer bottle. This was cured by a bit of bathroom sealant round the rubber grommet!

Stanley
06-09-06, 06:50 PM
my mates SR failed for having a magic tree dangling from the rear view mirror

yes, a ****ing magic tree

what a dick

Lucky Luke!
06-09-06, 10:13 PM
Handbrake adjustment.

shazzi_23
12-09-06, 11:33 PM
:eek: I had mine fail on sat for handbrake adjstment, headlamps insecure, cv boot insecure and a spot of welding. petty me thinks, but its passed now thanks to martin slaving away on the sunday
cheers babes x :thumb:

Jack
13-09-06, 09:10 AM
The faff failed last year on a loose front ball joint in the suspension - basically an excuse for them to change the fig8 and charge me ~?500 for the priviledge. Still got the old lower arm with ball joint in my shed, b*llocks is it loose :roll:

The new computerized MOTs - if one garage fails your car, can you take it elsewhere and get it retested? So if Mr T decides to fail my car for something daft and expensive this year to line their pockets, can I just take the car to the garage my Novas used to go to and get them to MOT it?

[edit]funnily enough, they still haven't picked up on the rear ARB mounts being obviously worn; as they have been since I bought the car but I've not yet been bothered to fix them lol

draper
13-09-06, 09:19 AM
i know a lad who took his kitted up nova to be MOT'd, the guy ran out when he heard him coming and told him, in no uncertain terms "he wasn't MOTing that pile of **** !!"

my mate, in true nova/chav fashion simply sat there and did a beasty burnout in his car park lol not big or clever but funny at the time

Jack
13-09-06, 09:31 AM
lol what a legend :thumb:... same thing happened to a mate of mine; fitted twin 5" rage exhausts, MOT man heard him coming from literally a mile off and as soon as said mate turned up the MOT man came out and told him he's failed and to f*ck off lol

Tazzy
13-09-06, 09:14 PM
lol, i use this as!an guy called jay, proper sound, very funny, him, his wife and his dad, theyll do anything for ya, when it comes to mot, hell be straight with ya, and damn, he never forgets a face or car, i took the corsa, but remembered me, looked at me, looked at the car, and said, "i dont recognise this", he remembers me for having the white nova that only scrapped past the test

some things he let go, as long as i sorted it, like the back box wit ha 2inch hole in it (and i dont mean the tail pipe!) but the chassis rust he had to fail, one slight nudge and the whole engine would of folded in on my legs, but i sorted it and he passed it off!

didnt charge me anymore then ?40 either!

matt1chelski
13-09-06, 09:22 PM
didnt charge me anymore then ?40 either!

Should think so too! 35 max round here.

As for new computerized certs, you can still take your car anywhere, for a retest. There only there to stop fake certificates, i think.

General Baxter
13-09-06, 09:46 PM
nova - brake pedal rubber
cavalier - abs not working, on a none abs model, oh i had a field day on that one lol

Stuart
13-09-06, 09:50 PM
the omega failed once for hot holding high beam on... rather than buy a new switch @ about ?90 i took the old one appart, put i back together again wihotu doing anything and it worked instantly....

tyres are usually my downfall lmao

Philsutton
13-09-06, 09:57 PM
actually the best one i had was with the nova, i had bucket seats and harness fitted. The guy at the mot station rang the police and they came down and put a prohibition order on it with the main thing on it being that i had fitted the harness to the original seat belt mountings wtf? The police were also waiting on the road expecting me to drive it home so they could pull me an shaft me proper. I had to get a truck to take the car 200m down the road. Pricks

John
13-09-06, 10:03 PM
You guys would not belive some of the things we see eveyday at work, i'm being put through to be a tester next year,and i'm not looking forward to it.
Make myself public enemy no.1?, i think not!!

General Baxter
13-09-06, 10:11 PM
You guys would not belive some of the things we see eveyday at work, i'm being put through to be a tester next year,and i'm not looking forward to it.
Make myself public enemy no.1?, i think not!!

i love it, i work on HGV and tail lifts, i love putting VOR stickers on them lol

Matt2107
14-09-06, 09:47 AM
Should think so too! 35 max round here.

:eek: ?46 is about the average round here.

Jack
14-09-06, 11:21 AM
?45 round here - and the price is supposed to be going up in the next few months :(

Not that Toyota care as they'll just charge me ?800 to replace something or other. I reckon my cat is shagged at the mo so no doubt I'll need a whole new exhaust. And manifold. And turbo. And HG. And ?100 oil change (seriously, thats how much they charge).

Novasport
14-09-06, 09:56 PM
:eek: ?46 is about the average round here.

Err the maximum that VOSA will allow testers to charge is ?44.15! Think it gets reviewed every August iirc

Novasport
14-09-06, 09:59 PM
My BMW failed on a windscreen wiper only last year. Cost 31 quid for a new one from BMW :(

Wait for the next one, they usually fail on broken rear coil springs, corroded brake pipes, ball joints, control arm bushes and the BMW drivers favourite....illegal slick tyres!!!
Prestige my ar5e

draper
14-09-06, 10:01 PM
these a place round here doing them for 25quid ??

Novasport
14-09-06, 10:03 PM
I pay ?20 ;)

Stanley
14-09-06, 10:07 PM
my last MOT was ?20ish IIRC (trade discount...) hehe

love trade discount

'hallo it stan from DA's'
'(oh hes in the trade, cheap cheap)'

dannyb
15-09-06, 12:11 AM
Wait for the next one, they usually fail on broken rear coil springs, corroded brake pipes, ball joints, control arm bushes and the BMW drivers favourite....illegal slick tyres!!!
Prestige my ar5e

Lol, sold it in August luckily, nice car for just getting about in, despite the thirst but could do with something a bit quicker that would be more suited to track days

dave_rand
15-09-06, 10:11 AM
garages can charge what they like for mot its up to them most of the garages round here are ?45 although where i go being in the trade i get them for ?40

Matt2107
15-09-06, 10:32 AM
garages can charge what they like for mot

Thats what I thought.

I know a few dodgy characters that will give me a completely hassle free mot but I think I'd rather be safe in the knowledge that my car is road legal and not gonna fall apart around me.