PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions?

Mitchybee
04-09-06, 11:03 PM
havent been on here for a while, good to see features is back up:thumb:

Right, i put my nova in for an mot, it failed on a few minor things, sorted most of them out. Just two more to do now.

I have coilovers on the front end, where it is lowered, ive been told it is putting alot of pressure on the driveshafts, they may pop out etc... What can i do to solve this problem.

On the back, ive got some custom made shortened springs, 70mm poss? what is the best way to secure them so they dont fall out.

Thanks in advance!

Stuart
05-09-06, 08:43 AM
erm "pressure on the drive shafts" WTF... change MOT stations lol.

as for the rear springs.

I used an old seat bet and made a travel limter for the shocks on both sides so that once you jack the car up the beam wont drop any further than the belt alows keeping the spring in place.

you need to jack the car up , remove the wheels each side, then jack the rear beam till the springs remain compressed enough to keep seated. unbolt the shocks and get a length of seatbelt, double over one end and make a 12mm hole in the double layer with a HOT drill bit and a washer for a guide. fit that with a washer to the bottom shock mount and then hold the other end of the belt at the hole in the bodywork for the top shock hole. Same again, double over and make a 12mm hole with a hot drill bit. pop that end over the top of the shock (under the rubber bush though) and reassemble the lot.

that should keep the springs in properly. BUT it may have an effect on handling at the limit.....

Mitchybee
05-09-06, 01:32 PM
Well not under pressure, thats the word i used, but he said they could pop out because of the angle they are at.

Stuart
05-09-06, 01:39 PM
is that explicitly an MOT fail? loads of people have their cars lowered loads and have no issues.

Adam
05-09-06, 05:38 PM
Just advice i'd say, it wouldn't fail for the driveshaft thing.

Should be fine.

Breeny
06-09-06, 03:55 PM
Mitchy.. don't worry about the driveshafts mate. I can put you in contact with a good MOT place in Bletchley if you need it.

With the springs, have you got shortened shocks? I had some -90mm springs briefly on my Turbo and it was fine.