PDA

View Full Version : Manifolds?

Matt2107
04-09-06, 03:43 PM
So the Mongoose system is on order for my GTE and should have been despatched today :thumb:

My question is regarding manifolds.

I've looked around and it seems not many manufacturers make manifolds for the GTE. Is this because the standard jobby is well up to the job?

I know Sportex do one and possibly Ashley and Lexmaul.

Is it really worth spending around ?150 for a new manifold?
Obviously the standard one is cast iron and the Sportex one is mild steel so there will be a small weight advantage over the standard.

Also... I'm looking towards a theme in my engine bay and am thinking about painting the manifold black but would anyone advise exhaust wrap.

I asked Collins Performance Engineering which manifold they would advise and all I got was "dont know much about Nova's."

Any ideas?

Adam
04-09-06, 03:55 PM
4-1 tends to push power further up the rev range, which is a problem with a rev limited engine.
Sportex/ashley do one for a gte, i think EuroRallye do too (For about ?100 iirc)

Where did you get your mongoose from? I wasn't aware they were still made for novas anymore, quite good systems.

If you have the money to spend, get a performance manifold, it will add power and make it sound nicer too :)

Ash
04-09-06, 04:02 PM
isn't the one for the GSi the same?

i have an Ashley 4 branch meant for a 1.4SR, but was fitted to a 1.6 GST40 and then my (beasty) 1.2.

I found more torque (from as much as can be expected from a 1.2) though out the rev range and the sound is ace.

A

Matt2107
04-09-06, 04:03 PM
Called Collins Performance engineering direct as they make the mongoose systems.

I have the second to last one so if anyone wants one they better get in there quick. If I'd have had the money I'd of brought both lol.

I'm not too worried about pushing the power up the range (would rather have it low down) so would I be better with a performance 4-2-1 manifold?

Your car did sound ace at Cheltenham Ash.

nyabinghi
05-09-06, 09:42 AM
Where did you get your mongoose from? I wasn't aware they were still made for novas anymore, quite good systems.

on ebay : http://search.ebay.co.uk/mongoose-nova_W0QQcatrefZC6QQflocZ1QQfposZCodeQ20postaQQfro mZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z104 25QQsacatZQ2d1QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ3QQsa sltZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZso

Matt2107
05-09-06, 03:06 PM
Ok so I've looked around on the net... emailed a few people.

EuroRallye - Can supply a manifold for ?100 but the mongoose system would need modifying. (cutting and re-welding)

On-line Autosport - Can supply a Sportex manifold for ?159.00 and say it will fit straight to the mongoose system.

Ashley - emailed... no response

Now I'm not very happy with the idea of cutting up my nice new system but equally I'm doubting whether the sportex will fit or whether the guy just wants the sale.

Any input?

Adam
05-09-06, 05:32 PM
If you get a GTE manifold it will fit the mongoose system, im 90% sure EuroRallye do a GTE manifold which will fit.

Matt2107
06-09-06, 09:52 AM
If you get a GTE manifold it will fit the mongoose system, im 90% sure EuroRallye do a GTE manifold which will fit.

"Thank you for your email.

I do not think that you will find a 4 branch exhaust manifold to directly replace the GTe manifold and down pipe. All 4 branches that I have come across are based on the 1300 manifold and down pipe. My manifold will fit your engine but you will have to alter the front of the Mongoose system to fit the manifold."

Apparently not :(

Adam
06-09-06, 02:17 PM
Sod EuroRallye then,lol.

Get one from here
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1385_1386_1398&products_id=10978

Ask for the 1600 version tho.