PDA

View Full Version : quick internet question

draper
04-09-06, 01:21 PM
does each computer have its own IP address or is it the phone line that has it ??

Matt2107
04-09-06, 01:24 PM
computer i think.

studaman21
04-09-06, 01:25 PM
ip stands for internet provider so i would say the line

draper
04-09-06, 01:28 PM
hmm, how can i find out my IP address then ??

JonL
04-09-06, 01:31 PM
It depends on your ISP (internet service provider)

Some people have a fixed IP Address - This would normally be a business broadband line

Others (such as NTL) on broadband are likely to have a dynamic IP address, which means each time the modem is rebooted they could be allocated a new one (however this rarely happens and its fairly likely that the IP address will stay the same)

People on dial up have dynamic IP addresses that are allocated upon connection to the internet, they pretty much always change and can't be relied upon to identify a given users.

Sometimes on dial up, you'll connect to a proxy server to access the internet, and that means that everybody accessing the internet via that ISP through that proxy server will have the same IP address.

JonL
04-09-06, 01:32 PM
Go to (assuming you're on xp or win 2000):

Start -> Run

type 'cmd'

then type 'ipconfig' and hit enter

draper
04-09-06, 01:37 PM
no, im using windows ME on this computer

JonL
04-09-06, 01:44 PM
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahse.html

Look at the Windows 95, 98, and ME section of the above website, it explains it

draper
04-09-06, 01:47 PM
cheers buddy

Adam
04-09-06, 03:34 PM
Each computer has one.

Say if you had a PC connected to another PC with a network cable, each pc would have a different IP address.

IP stands for Internet Protocol.

http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/cgi-bin/MyIP
Click that link, it tells you your IP.

draper
04-09-06, 03:55 PM
:confused: ok, ive got 2 computers at home that are both connected to the net via my router, will each PC have there own IP address or will the router have 1 for both ?? :tard:

Adam
04-09-06, 03:58 PM
I'd say they both have there own address.

draper
04-09-06, 04:01 PM
cheers mate, ill check later when i get the laptop out

Lee
04-09-06, 04:58 PM
id say they'll both have the same ISP IP address, although your each computer will have its own address for your LAN.

bump
04-09-06, 10:28 PM
Neither machine will have the ISP IP address, only the router will have that. both machines will have a private LAN address and be pointing the the router as a gateway. Best bet is to log on to the router and chack it's adsl setup page.

Geth
04-09-06, 11:33 PM
Yeah, the router will have the IP address. An internet router/hub acts as what is called a gateway. The gateway will log on to the internet and obtain an IP from the ISP. The two computers will logon to the router with different IP addresses on a different subnet.

e.g. my router has two IP addresses, one is given to it by the ISP when it logged on to the net. The other is the IP address I gave it which only exists on my home network (subnet). Then the 2 PCs that are connected to the router are given IP addresses within a predefined range set on the router.

Router
Internet IP 111.111.1.1 (only an example, like I'd tell you all my IP address)
Home Network IP 192.168.1.1

My PC
Home Network IP 192.168.1.0

Dad's PC
Home Network IP 192.168.1.2

However, as I have told mine and my Dad's PCs that the Gateway (to the internet) is located at 192.168.1.1 on my home network, both PCs will use the IP address 111.111.1.1 when connected to the internet.

Geth
04-09-06, 11:39 PM
Another point. One number that your PC does have when connected to the internet (or any network) through a network card is MAC address. This number is unique to every network card and I believe it is possible to obtain someones MAC address if you know their IP.

Dave.
05-09-06, 12:29 AM
or go on this mate

http://diecastrestorations.myfreeforum.org/index.php

scroll to the bottom and theres either an elephant or a little monster holding a sighn. it says your ip adress

wisewood
05-09-06, 05:01 PM
When connecting to the internet via your router, the only IP address that will be visible to external networks (the internet) is the IP address of the router, because you are using the routers internet connection on your pc.

To use the router, multiple computers must each have their own IP address. if you've got a router with dhcp server built in, this will be assigned to your computer automatically.

With 2 pc's and one router, there will be 4 ip's involved.

1. The IP address that your ISP has allocated to your router, such as 88.107.66.13. This can be static (ie they allocate the same one each time you connect) or can be different everytime your router connects to the internet.
2. The IP address your router uses internally, such as 192.168.0.1
3. The IP address given to your first computer, such as 192.168.0.2
4. The IP address given to your first computer, such as 192.168.0.3

Hope this helps.